Opening orders not placing

abudhabitrader

Question

Hello All,

I'm back again with another question, since last time I asked I was pleasantly surprised at the promptness and informative nature of the response I received.

I have been placing orders to open a position immediately when the order opens the next day at the close price the day before. I have selected the correct price level: eg buy at the buy price in the box and sell at the sell. Furthermore, the order was accepted so that rules out any shortage in positions to borrow from a broker as the answer. I know this is possible because I have done it many times before. So, I was wondering why the order did not place today?

Cheers,

4 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, abudhabitrader said:

Hello All,

I'm back again with another question, since last time I asked I was pleasantly surprised at the promptness and informative nature of the response I received.

I have been placing orders to open a position immediately when the order opens the next day at the close price the day before. I have selected the correct price level: eg buy at the buy price in the box and sell at the sell. Furthermore, the order was accepted so that rules out any shortage in positions to borrow from a broker as the answer. I know this is possible because I have done it many times before. So, I was wondering why the order did not place today?

Cheers,

Hi, what price did the market open at today? If the stock is fairly illiquid then it will often open at the same closing price but if price gaped on open then other orders where processes before yours and moved price away from your order past the tolerance level and so your order was not executed.

27 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, what price did the market open at today? If the stock is fairly illiquid then it will often open at the same closing price but if price gaped on open then other orders where processes before yours and moved price away from your order past the tolerance level and so your order was not executed.

Take Carnival (LSE) for example, the price it closed at yesterday in the box was 919 for buy. However, the graph showed the price ending at 936. Having faith in the box, I placed a buy order at 919, but the position never opened. The stock opened at 930, leaving my position closed. I am wondering whether to trust the box or the graph since other orders have been true to the price in the box. Is there an indicator that I can look out for?

5 minutes ago, abudhabitrader said:

Take Carnival (LSE) for example, the price it closed at yesterday in the box was 919 for buy. However, the graph showed the price ending at 936. Having faith in the box, I placed a buy order at 919, but the position never opened. The stock opened at 930, leaving my position closed. I am wondering whether to trust the box or the graph since other orders have been true to the price in the box. Is there an indicator that I can look out for?

the LSE initial auction starts at 8:00 am and processes all the pre-open orders, if some event has lead to a big move in a particular market those orders can move price away from the previous day's close and gap over your order price.

On 30/06/2020 at 14:28, Caseynotes said:

What is the tolerance level and can it be set? I have lost money as my order opened at a very different  price to what I set. 

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    FiftyBagger
    Joined 03/08/21 13:41
    • Oh for God's sake people, it's not difficult, look, - Fauci says that because of the delta variant everyone has to wear a mask again, - so Oz locksdown and introduces a $5500 fine if not wearing a mask when outdoors, - while Biden's covid advisor says “as we know today, many of the face cloth coverings that people wear are not very effective at reducing any of the virus movement in or out”, - while Biden says the vax bribes aren't working so we must have stronger 'incentives' for vax uptake, - while Johnson says it's not the vaccines that brought cases down, it was the lockdowns, - but Sweden has no lockdowns, no business closures, no masks and no covid deaths.   I just don't understand why people are so confused??? 👀 Sweden: Despite Variants, No Lockdowns, No Daily Covid Deaths – AIER        
    • EUR/USD, GBP/USD and AUD/USD gain ground in early trade EUR/USD, GBP/USD and AUD/USD on the rise, but questions remain for the Australian dollar despite hawkish RBA stance. Source: Bloomberg   Forex United States dollar Australian dollar Euro EUR/USD GBP/USD  Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 03 August 2021  EUR/USD awaits breakout from continuation pattern EUR/USD is trading within a pennant formation, with the pair pausing after the gains seen last week. To the upside, we do need to keep an eye out for a potential break through the $1.1897 level as a signal that we are set for another leg higher. Meanwhile, a drop back below $1.185 would point towards a deeper pullback coming into play.   Source: ProRealTime GBP/USD turning higher after 76.4% pullback GBP/USD has started to regain bullish momentum following a retracement into the 76.4% Fibonacci level at $1.3876. The ongoing uptrend points towards a bullish session ahead, with a positive outlook in play unless the price drops below $1.3843.   Source: ProRealTime AUD/USD back into confluence of resistance AUD/USD has been on the rise overnight, with a hawkish Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) stance bringing gains for the Australian dollar. However, that takes us into the confluence of 61.8% and trendline resistance. With the trend of lower highs in place, this recent grind higher still looks like a potential precursor to further weakness unless the price breaks up through the $0.7503 swing-high. Source: ProRealTime
    • Gold and Brent crude start to regain ground after Monday weakness Gold and Brent crude look to regain ground after recent weakness, but do recent losses point towards further downside to come? Source: Bloomberg  Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 03 August 2021  Gold attempting to regain ground after 61.8% retracement Gold has started to steady itself after the recent decline into the 61.8% Fibonacci support level at $1806. Coming off the back of a rally into the $1834 region, there is a chance we could see the bulls come back into play before long. Greater confidence comes into play with a rise through $1819 bringing greater confidence that this pullback is over. Ultimately this current pullback does look like a retracement and precursor to further gains unless price drops back below the $1790 support level. Source: ProRealTime Brent crude starts to gain strength after decline into key support Brent crude has been on the back foot in the beginning of the week, with price falling back down into the $7214 support level established last Monday. The decline through $73.12 does raise question marks over the potential for further downside following the recent breakdown. A break below the $72.14 level would bring greater confidence in a more protracted breakdown. Nonetheless, for the time being, we are seeing the bulls come back into play as price aims to regain ground lost yesterday. Source: ProRealTime   See opportunity on a commodity?