Chart indicators don't show on different timescales

Gctyhcjgf

Question

5 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Gctyhcjgf said:

When drawing on charts, how do I make the indicators visible on longer timeframes (I want a line drawn on tick by tick chart to appear on the monthly chart) [I asked this on the wrong chat so repeating here.]

Hi, you've got a problem there, platforms often reproduce lines going down the time frames but rarely going up, but also the different chart time frames have their data organised in packets simply to save on data amounts, trying to cover the multi decade monthly charts with tick data would need enormous capacity. So when looking down the time frames lines never match as they were drawn exactly as the data is repackaged time frame to time frame, this occurs on any platform, and the bigger the gap in time frames the larger the distortion of the line. I think you will need to redraw the lines on the larger time frames.

On 30/06/2020 at 14:40, Caseynotes said:

Hi, you've got a problem there, platforms often reproduce lines going down the time frames but rarely going up, but also the different chart time frames have their data organised in packets simply to save on data amounts, trying to cover the multi decade monthly charts with tick data would need enormous capacity. So when looking down the time frames lines never match as they were drawn exactly as the data is repackaged time frame to time frame, this occurs on any platform, and the bigger the gap in time frames the larger the distortion of the line. I think you will need to redraw the lines on the larger time frames.

y = mx + c

It takes exactly two numbers no matter what time frame you draw a line at. Lines draw exactly the same and always match no matter what time frame, this occurs on any platform, and the size of the gap makes no difference and does not distort the line. 

Personally I would like things like moving averages to be the one I select and not jump around depending on the time scale too. If I want to see the 50 day moving average, I want to see the 50 day moving average no matter what time scale, but I would settle for a simple line. I am also aware that other people do want 50 bucket moving averages, no matter what the bucket size.

By the way, are any people on here actually IG staff? How do you actually ask IG a question? The chat link that used to exist seems to have disappeared.

48 minutes ago, Gctyhcjgf said:

y = mx + c

It takes exactly two numbers no matter what time frame you draw a line at. Lines draw exactly the same and always match no matter what time frame, this occurs on any platform, and the size of the gap makes no difference and does not distort the line. 

Personally I would like things like moving averages to be the one I select and not jump around depending on the time scale too. If I want to see the 50 day moving average, I want to see the 50 day moving average no matter what time scale, but I would settle for a simple line. I am also aware that other people do want 50 bucket moving averages, no matter what the bucket size.

By the way, are any people on here actually IG staff? How do you actually ask IG a question? The chat link that used to exist seems to have disappeared.

the number of time peeps have complained on this forum that their lines never match up when changing time frames are too numerous to mention, and every platform has been sited, IG's web based, prt and mt4.

so not so simple after all.

as for moving averages you just have to do some arithmetic to convert the day to what ever time frame you are working on.

456593799_aal1.thumb.png.1a5de08607de5ad0680b3981d5cbc311.png1006876096_aal2.thumb.png.5cb316f9f12bae8ac3ab4022636d8eee.png

Hi Caseynotes, apologies for being rude last time, I see you understand the problem. Your illustration is exactly what I am trying to deal with. If I draw the line on the low resolution chart (with low resolution end points) I could adjust the end points on the high resolution chart and all would be good. However the line isn't drawn so I can't. I think I have managed to draw on a hi res chart but this can be hard if the time period is too long.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to reply.

41 minutes ago, Gctyhcjgf said:

Hi Caseynotes, apologies for being rude last time, I see you understand the problem. Your illustration is exactly what I am trying to deal with. If I draw the line on the low resolution chart (with low resolution end points) I could adjust the end points on the high resolution chart and all would be good. However the line isn't drawn so I can't. I think I have managed to draw on a hi res chart but this can be hard if the time period is too long.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to reply.

👍