Partial Close Limit Orders

Unless I've completely missed it there doesn't seem to be a way to partially close a position with a limit order in the web platform. As far as I can see I need to manually open the position, edit the amount to close and then partial close (usually by this time the price has moved away from where I would place the limit!).

Would be really useful to be able to edit the amount closed on a limit order and set multiple limit orders for a single position with a staggered close across them.

You're correct in saying you can't partially close a position with a limit order through the platform. This is a really great suggestion and hopefully we will be able to incorporate something like this in the future to the platform. In the meantime, you may like to know that you can call our dealing desk on the below number and we will be happy to split a position for you into smaller sizes. This would allow you to add a limit or even mutiple limits to parts of the position.

Dealing desk number: +442079860000

• 10 months later...

Quick update for you all - this functionality is something that will hopefully be implemented with the introduction of working orders which net off with existing orders, either partially or fully.  Essentially, you could place multiple working orders as partial close limit orders.  Our team are working on developing this feature now, to be introduced in the coming months!

Any more questions or feedback, please just let us know.

Thanks!

Hannah

• 7 months later...

Hi , thanks for the post.

For our spread betting clients, our new web trading platform has now been live for several weeks and we do indeed have the functionality to partially close orders with a limit price.  This is done by setting up a working order for the same market and then selecting 'Net off' rather than 'Force open', so that the quantity within your working order will close that amount of your existing position.

This functionality will be rolled out for CFD clients as soon as possible, as the new web trading platform is monitored and tested.

Hope this is what you were looking for!  Any questions please ask, and remember you can join in the discussion on the new trading platform here.

Thanks,

Hannah

• 2 years later...

"Would be really useful to be able to edit the amount closed on a limit order and set multiple limit orders for a single position with a staggered close across them."

Hi, is this function available now? 

• 5 months later...

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      14/01/21 09:51

Newest Member
    Duncanelias
    Joined 15/04/21 07:46
    • yeah, the long tails look false though note they are still there this morning. The FXCM chart via Tradingview won't be the actual broker client chart but cleaned up for the third party. There is often widened spread and spikey action at 22:00 as brokers switch from their normal liquidity providers to out of hours providers but not as much as is shown on the IG chart, not unusual though to see 1 large spike. see below the CMC chart for the same period, more in line with the IG chart than the Tradingview chart.  maybe @CharlotteIG can check with tech and get the IG chart cleaned up. If they are false spikes they would not have triggered orders as prices are delivered to your account and to the chart maker at the same time not to the chart maker first then on to your account.  
    • Econ Calendar with links; Time Cur. Imp. Event Actual Forecast Previous   Thursday, April 15, 2021 02:00   JPY   BoJ Governor Kuroda Speaks           02:30   AUD   Employment Change (Mar) 70.7K 35.0K 88.7K   02:30   AUD   Full Employment Change (Mar) -20.8K   89.1K   02:30   AUD   Unemployment Rate (Mar) 5.6% 5.7% 5.8%   07:00   EUR   German CPI (MoM) (Mar) 0.5% 0.5% 0.7%   07:45   EUR   French CPI (MoM) (Mar)   0.6% 0.0%   07:45   EUR   French HICP (MoM) (Mar)   0.7% 0.0%   09:00   EUR   Italian CPI (MoM) (Mar)   0.3% 1.1%   09:30   GBP   BOE Credit Conditions Survey           13:30   USD   Core Retail Sales (MoM) (Mar)   5.0% -2.7%   13:30   USD   Initial Jobless Claims   700K 744K   13:30   USD   NY Empire State Manufacturing Index (Apr)   19.50 17.40   13:30   USD   Philadelphia Fed Manufacturing Index (Apr)   42.0 51.8   13:30   USD   Philly Fed Employment (Apr)     30.1   13:30   USD   Retail Sales (MoM) (Mar)   5.9% -3.0%   13:30   CAD   Manufacturing Sales (MoM) (Feb)   -1.0% 3.1%   14:00   RUB   Central Bank reserves (USD)     574.8B   14:15   USD   Industrial Production (YoY) (Mar)     -4.25%   14:15   USD   Industrial Production (MoM) (Mar)   2.8% -2.2%   15:00   USD   Business Inventories (MoM) (Feb)   0.5% 0.3%   15:00   USD   Retail Inventories Ex Auto (Feb)     1.2%   15:00   CHF   SNB Gov Board Member Maechler Speaks           15:30   EUR   German Buba Mauderer Speaks           16:30   USD   FOMC Member Bostic Speaks           19:00   USD   FOMC Member Daly Speaks           21:00   USD   FOMC Member Mester Speaks           21:00   USD   TIC Net Long-Term Transactions (Feb)     90.8B   23:30   NZD   Business NZ PMI (Mar)     53.4      
    • I havent traded EURGBP for a while so it may well be normal activity - maybe some sort of algo running between 22.00-22.30. For no apparent reason the spread moves to 12 pips wide (from 0.9) and swings erratically. Take a look at the IG 1 minute chart here with a corresponding chart from TradingView (FXCM feed but they were all the same) at the same time.  The chart I share is 1m and mid price so with that in mind this action would have swept all stops above and below the high 8698 and 8686 by a further 6 pips so call it a 25 pip range of 8680 and 8705 it what was for all intents and purposes a quiet market (EURUSD had a 6 pip range at this time and GBPUSD had a 8 pip range) Luckily I saw it and pulled my stop and left in my Limit - need less to say my stop would have probably been hit at 80, and of course my Limit at 8700 whilst swept, was not triggered as the spread was 12 pips not the usual 0.9 pips. Very odd action - I can only assume algo driven - but definitely not in the interest of the trader...