Gold - Buy or Sell in 2021?

bigtim92

I bought into a Gold ETF last week, but am having second thoughts, after reading 2021 outlooks from the likes of Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley. I'll list the arguments for and against below. Please share your thoughts:

Arguments for:
Goldman Sachs expects that the price of gold will reach $2,300 per ounce by the end of 2021 (20% higher from current prices) because of concerns over rising inflation. Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-commodities-research-goldmansachs/goldman-hikes-12-month-gold-price-forecast-to-2300-idUSKCN24T1QA

Arguments against:
As expectations of future inflation rise, so do Treasury rates. In fact, the 10-year Treasury burst through 1% last year (after the Democrats took the Senate). Gold has historically been inversely correlated with long term rates. Interestingly, Morgan Stanley is bullish on inflation in 2021, and believes it could come sooner and faster than most expect, perhaps even as early as Q1. This would dampen the price of gold in my opinion.

The big boys promote stuff to the public and are most likely the professionals providing the supply so be careful of that fact - Even old Warren Buffett bigged up Silver years ago whilst he was dumping his holding!

I'm not a fundamental Investor - Here's my thoughts from a slightly differing angle that may help you:

EVERY market works out to cycles, I can't work out Golds cycles because it was only freely traded since 1970's and I need decades of price data to accurately pick out the dominant cycles, BUT......

I do have the stock market and UK Bank of England Base Rate price data going back centuries

Stock market will be going upwards until 2034, with this it inflationary by nature, this will also drag interest rates upwards too

I'm expecting BoE rates to increase to normality (av since 1600 is circa 5.99%) within the next 1-3 years.  The reasoning for this is as follows:

1. The stock market is following a certain cycle [not disclosing this] - but it is safe to say that since 2000 the stock market REPEATED the 1929 cycle - In 2012 I satisfied this thinking and confirmed it in 2017
  2. Look at what the BoE did with rates in 1929-1951.  The same was expected from 2000-2022 - that HAS happened (if back in 1929-1951 they had thought of QE they'd of done it) 

Everyone out there has an opinion - the vast majority are simply wrong, so to conclude market will go upwards (USA markets) this will affect the UK markets too to some degree and with that Inflationary direction it should once the int rate cycle ends its deflationary cycle [soon] int rates should head back up to the 5-6% level 

Depends if the above does happen how it will affect the price of gold

I wrote the chart below to a friend - which recent price action sort of contradicts my thinking - at the time I was looking at the chart and comparing it to the stock market cycle which up to 2015 complied perfectly, so the most recent price action is either a one off blow off rally or there's more to the cycles than though - If I had 100 years of price date for freely traded gold I'd be able to work out the dominant cycles exactly, so for the time being for me its just a work in progress to then hand down to my children/grandchildren in a few decades time assuming i live that long lol

So in the chart below I was comparing the INFLATIONARY stock market cycle that ran from 1982 to 2000 and then the DEFLATIONARY stock market cycle that ran 2000 to 2017

Hence the lacklustre price action of gold in a stock market and int rate inflationary period and once the deflationary cycle kicks in gold price starts to rise - It "might" not be doing that, it might be complying to something else which with limited historical available price data a reliable or accurate forecast cannot be made

DISCLOSURE: I do have an active open short position in this market 

Hope helps a little

431.thumb.JPG.05eb2b561f740ed5623f501514f0779d.JPG

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• ASX: NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LIMITED - NAB Elliott Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (1D Chart) Greetings, Our Elliott Wave analysis today updates the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) with NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LIMITED - NAB. We identify wave ((iv))-green as having ended, and the potential for wave ((v))-green is open to push higher. ASX: NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LIMITED - NAB Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   ASX: NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LIMITED - NAB 1D Chart (Semilog Scale) Analysis Function: Major trend (Minute degree, green) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((v))-green Details: The short-term outlook shows that wave ((iv))-green has just ended, and the push up quite high since 32.60 also suggests the return of wave ((v))-green. Invalidation point: 32.60       ASX: NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LIMITED - NAB Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (4-Hour Chart) ASX: NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LIMITED - NAB Elliott Wave Technical Analysis ASX: NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LIMITED - NAB 4-Hour Chart Analysis   Function: Major trend (Minute degree, green) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave i-blue of Wave ((v))-green Details: The shorter-term outlook suggests that the ((iii))-green wave has recently peaked, and the ((iv))-green wave has unfolded in the form of a Flat correction, with the ((iv))-wave likely completed. The ((v))-green wave is now unfolding to push prices higher. We are closely monitoring NAB, and there will soon be a long-term trading opportunity with NAB. It looks like wave ii-blue is opening up, pushing a little lower, before wave iii-blue returns to push even higher. Invalidation point: 32.60         Conclusion:   Our analysis, forecast of contextual trends, and short-term outlook for ASX: NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LIMITED - NAB aim to provide readers with insights into the current market trends and how to capitalize on them effectively. We offer specific price points that act as validation or invalidation signals for our wave count, enhancing the confidence in our perspective. By combining these factors, we strive to offer readers the most objective and professional perspective on market trends. Technical Analyst: Hua (Shane) Cuong, CEWA-M (Master’s Designation). Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD) LINKUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Zigzag Position: Wave C Direction Next higher Degrees: Wave (I) of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: 8.498 Details: the corrective of Wave (II) is equal to 61.8% of Wave (I) at 8.702 Log scale chart ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction is likely to go down to test the 10.585 level before rising again in the third wave. Therefore, the overall picture is a short-term pullback to continue rising. Wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating a Downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H4 Chart ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD) LINKUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow Trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave 5 Direction Next higher Degrees: Wave ((C)) of Zigzag Wave Cancel invalid Level: 81.238 Details: The Five-Wave Decline of Wave ((C)) trend to test 11.582 Level ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction is likely to go down to test the 10.585 level before rising again in the third wave. Therefore, the overall picture is a short-term pullback to continue rising. Wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. ChainLink/ U.S. dollar(LINKUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating a Downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!      
    • Okay, I'll grab the ultimate sloth at a lower price😑😑
us