Am I being ripped off on the exchange rate?

crystak

So at 16:22 bought 22 shares of Apple at 126.75 for $2,788.50 or £1,994.10. No commission, no charges.

Now, I could sell the 22 shares at 127.42 for $2,803 or £1,980.57.

The stock has gained 0.6% according to my P&L.

At 16:30 the GBP/USD was 1.40553 and it's now 1.40824. Difference of 0.00271 which is 0.1% higher (roughly).

HOW has the stock gone up and in dollars there's a roughly $15 profit yet in pounds there's £14 loss ??? Now I bought this in my ISA so it's a long term holding, but WHY is this discrepancy not better publicised?

Is this why IG is offering free trades for US stocks because they are making their margins on foreign exchange by offering very bad rates??

Edited by crystak
  • Like 1

I'm presuming you don't realise this.

As I understand it, IG charge you 0.5% to change your £ into $, and then 0.5 to change it back again, so you lose 1%. I presume as they charge 0.5% per FX trade each way, they do not also have a spread between buy and sell.

However, your Apply shares will have a buy/sell spread. So if they were $126 on Nasdaq when you bought, you maybe have paid $126.5 to buy them, then when you sell you might only get $125.5.

By offering free trading, which is actually not free because they take a large exchange rate fee- even when u buy or sell. 

it needs to be looked into by the SEC. or the relevant body in each country. 

even when the GBp/USD is up or down doesn't matter to IG they w ill always make sure we are at the receiving end. i am seriously considering switiching over to someone else more reasonable. 

• Like 2

So basically there is a roughly 1-1.5% difference because of the poor exchange rates they are passing on to the customers, which equals that same 1-1.5% as the commission they would be earning.

What is annoying about this is that this fact is not publicised anywhere, so this is very misleading. It would be interesting to see how this compares to other commission free companies for US shares.  Does anyone know?

Edited by crystak
  • Like 1

From what I understand its not free to buy shares. There is a commission for opening and closing a trade as well as a small overnight fee. So unless you expect a higher return to fee ratio, then you are better on a different platform.  Shares, Commodities, EFTS,  Indices, and Forex trading all have different costs and fees, so its my advice not to buy into things before you read what they are. Its a learning process. I find it best to stick with Commodities and Indices as a day trader as there are no commissions on trading these as far as I am aware. 

You can check all the costs on the website otherwise, when you go to your dashboard and click trade analytics you will see the breakdown there.

If you are looking only to buy a couple shares in different stocks, with a small amount of money, then this is not the platform for you.

Guest a learner

It is the same with Trading 212 and hl . Trading in US stock is a have that long standing issue. 

Other option is to maintain a $ account in US and then trade, but that would involve TAX implication and benefit of ISA will be lost.  

There is no easy solution for this . If anyone have found a way to invest in US stock as a individual investor. please share 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry.. I could not edit my message above...

I found a similar markup between buy and sell rate almost within 15 minutes of buy and sell

and computed you lose 1% of value between the two on $ purchase/ sales

Misleading since I thought I sold for a $ profit and ended up in a £ loss😪

9 hours ago, alam1 said:

Sorry.. I could not edit my message above...

I found a similar markup between buy and sell rate almost within 15 minutes of buy and sell

and computed you lose 1% of value between the two on $ purchase/ sales

Misleading since I thought I sold for a $ profit and ended up in a £ loss😪

What would you consider an acceptable loss for buying and immediately selling?

1% is about what I would lose if I bought and immediately sold £5K-worth of any mainstream UK share through my share dealing broker (not IG).  That's two sets of commission plus stamp duty plus spread.  So I wouldn't consider your experience particularly unreasonable.

It's essential to understand the fees before dealing, to avoid this kind of surprise and disappointment.

Problem was I made a decision to sell based on seeing the profit (& placed the limit order),

If I knew clearly it would be a loss I would not have made a decision to sell it .

I chose IG to be mainly able to trade low volumes and access the US market without large capitals onto each stock

I think the problem is on the visibility of the currency (£ versus$) and I am now a bit more educated

It sounds like maybe you're doing share dealing, whereas I'm using spread betting, but the following might have a useful analogue:

In my Positions window in the web interface, there is a column I've added (via the 3-lines hamburger icon at the top-left) called "Profit/Loss (GBP)", which converts the standard "Profit/Loss" column to my account currency.  I don't know, but it might take account of the exchange costs.  Might be worth a look, see if you've got anything similar.

I'd be a bit peeved if that column said I had a profit at the moment I closed a position, and then actually it turned out to be a loss.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Thetanuts Finance is shaking things up in DeFi with their focus on structured products and, of course, options trading. Thetanuts isn't the only player on the DeFi options field. Badger DAO, for instance, is another project offering options for Bitcoin alongside their other yield-generating tools. Meanwhile, Opyn uses something called an Automated Market Maker (AMM) to provide liquidity, similar to how Thetanuts plans to leverage Uniswap v3 pools.   They've got some interesting features, just landed on Bitget, and seem to be building a community. But options trading can be complex, and DeFi is still the wild west of finance.  What do you think? Worth a shot, or best to stick to simpler DeFi tools? Let's hear your thoughts in the comments!
    • You know that saying we always hear, "not your keys, not your assets"? Well, HashPack is taking that to heart and giving us the power to truly own our crypto. We've all been there, trusting some custodial wallet or centralized exchange to hold our digital cash, only for them to mess it up or straight-up exit scam with our funds. HashPack is putting an end to that BS by making sure we're the only ones in control of our private keys and assets. No more relying on third parties to hold our crypto hostage. With HashPack, your accounts are fully decentralized and secure, just like crypto was always meant to be. And if that's not enough to make you feel safe, they've even integrated with top-tier hardware wallets like Ledger, D'CENT, and Citadel for an extra layer of protection. Talk about having your back! But HashPack isn't just about keeping our crypto on lockdown. These guys are on a mission to revolutionize the entire web3 experience. Let's be real, navigating this decentralized world can be a total pain in the **** sometimes, with all sorts of friction and barriers standing in the way. Well, HashPack is tackling those issues head-on with their user-centric products and services. And get this – HashPack has already achieved some seriously impressive feats in the space. They've built HashConnect, a secure dApp connection library, introduced trustless peer-to-peer trades, and have been leading the charge in ecosystem innovation. These guys are the real deal, no cap. But wait, it gets even better! HashPack's utility token, $PACK, is now available for trading on Bitget exchange. And not only that, but Bitget is running an ongoing campaign with a $3,000 $PACK prize pool up for grabs! Can you believe that? This is our chance to not only support a game-changing project like HashPack but also potentially win big in the process. So, what do you say, fellas? Are you ready to take back control of your crypto keys and assets? Are you hyped about the prospect of a seamless, user-friendly web3 experience? If so, then HashPack is the project you need to be paying attention to. Trust me, this is just the beginning of their journey – and I, for one, can't wait to see what they'll accomplish next!
    • You know, after being around the crypto block a few times, I finally feel like someone is getting scaling right with this Taiko project. They seem to have cracked the code on addressing the major headaches we've all faced trying to scale Ethereum in a truly decentralized, transparent, and efficient manner. With Taiko, the whole show is open-source, permissionless, and driven by the community itself – no shadowy centralizers pulling the strings behind the curtain. And get this – they're actually writing all that juicy block data directly onto the Ethereum mainnet! That means everything is out in the open, decentralized, and there for anyone to verify the latest chain state. No more black box nonsense. Transparency is clearly a huge priority here too. Taiko insists that every single bit of executable data has to be publicly available and in sequence. So we regular folks can generate proofs for blocks using only what's out there for all to see. No more having to blindly trust some convoluted system, you know? But Taiko isn't just focused on keeping things open and transparent – they're also hellbent on making the whole block creation and proposing process as streamlined and efficient as can be. Their approach levels that playing field so anyone has a fair shot at adding blocks based on legit factors like fees and MEV rewards. No more relying on a handful of big dogs to keep the wheels turning. And you've got to admire their innovative spirit – they're even splitting up the block submission process into two parts to cut down on those pesky bottlenecks we've seen cripple other systems. Genius, if you ask me! Now, I know some of the jaded old-timers in our crowd might roll their eyes and say "Here we go again, another overblown project overpromising the moon." But hear me out – Taiko has managed to turn heads and rustle up over $22 million from major investment heavyweights like Sequoia China, OKX Ventures, KuCoin Ventures, and they've even gotten a nod from ol' Vitalik himself! That's no mean feat, let me tell you. I truly believe Taiko is onto something special here. They're taking on the huge challenges of decentralization, transparency, and efficiency head-on, but doing it in a way that doesn't abandon Ethereum's core values and principles. If they can pull this off, it could be the real deal for finally making scaling a practical reality. And you know what's got me extra excited? Taiko's very own $TKO token is now available for pre-trade over on Bitget exchange! I might just have to throw a little support behind this promising project and see where it goes. Who's with me, huh? Let's dive into the future of decentralized Ethereum scaling together!
us