Margin Calls and Trade Forced closure

Guest Davidb31

Question

Guest Davidb31

Hi,

I'm new and get very confused and need help with margin calls and with how IG calculates my margin. I've tried to paste a screenshot of my account but can't so I'll write down the details:

Funds: 12568.98

Profit/loss: -8.89

Margin: 12383.62

Available: 176.00

Could somebody tell me when I'll receive the margin call - the available balance going down to what number, and when they'll close down my trades. 

Many many thanks for your help.

1 answer to this question

On 27/04/2021 at 19:14, Guest Davidb31 said:

Hi,

I'm new and get very confused and need help with margin calls and with how IG calculates my margin. I've tried to paste a screenshot of my account but can't so I'll write down the details:

Funds: 12568.98

Profit/loss: -8.89

Margin: 12383.62

Available: 176.00

Could somebody tell me when I'll receive the margin call - the available balance going down to what number, and when they'll close down my trades. 

Many many thanks for your help.

Hi, 

You will be in Margin call :

1. If your account equity ( the total capital you have deposited plus or minus any profits or losses ) drops beneath 50% of your margin requirement
  2. If you remain on margin call constantly for 24 hours
  3. If you are on margin call during periods of increased volatility, or periods when we anticipate increased volatility
  4. If you are on margin call going into the weekend. We’ll try to avoid having any accounts on margin call going into the weekend. So if your equity is below 100% of your margin requirement, your positions will be at an increased risk of being closed on a Friday evening.
When your equity drops beneath We will endeavour to
99% of margin Send you a notification email
75% of margin Send you a second notification email*
50% of margin Start automatically closing positions

More details here.

I hope that it helps

All the best - Arvin