Why can’t I trade ETF’s in my S+S ISA?

Hello, I’m trying to trade a couple of boring ETF’s in my stocks and shares isa (Vanguard S and P as well as ishares S and P)

For some reason when I attempt to do so it says ‘this instrument is not available to trade on the tax wrapper associated to your account’

i was under the impression ETF’s could be traded on a stocks and shares ISA, is this not the case?

91F5A3DD-9EAC-4B65-B944-E99A30B55E41.png

53 minutes ago, Scott12347 said:

Hello, I’m trying to trade a couple of boring ETF’s in my stocks and shares isa (Vanguard S and P as well as ishares S and P)

For some reason when I attempt to do so it says ‘this instrument is not available to trade on the tax wrapper associated to your account’

i was under the impression ETF’s could be traded on a stocks and shares ISA, is this not the case?

91F5A3DD-9EAC-4B65-B944-E99A30B55E41.png

Hi @Scott12347,

Not all the ETFs are ISA eligibile as per HMRC policies. Please check this link which contains an updated list of instruments tradable on ISA.

Thanks,

Jakub 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jakub

I hope you both don't mind me jumping in with a similar question. 

I've just signed up to the IG platform yesterday so apologies if i'm asking a daft question but i had my eye on the Vanguard S & P 500 ETF as well. Is it possible to buy, as a normal share dealing purchase? I did try purchasing 1 share earlier in the day but when i clicked on 'confirm order 'it returned 

'X sorry

This is a complex instrument and is currently not eligible to be traded on your account. Please call your normal dealing number for more information.

What do i need to do to my account, to allow me to purchase this ETF?

IMG_8477.jpg

51 minutes ago, mike730 said:

Hello Jakub

I hope you both don't mind me jumping in with a similar question. 

I've just signed up to the IG platform yesterday so apologies if i'm asking a daft question but i had my eye on the Vanguard S & P 500 ETF as well. Is it possible to buy, as a normal share dealing purchase? I did try purchasing 1 share earlier in the day but when i clicked on 'confirm order 'it returned 

'X sorry

This is a complex instrument and is currently not eligible to be traded on your account. Please call your normal dealing number for more information.

What do i need to do to my account, to allow me to purchase this ETF?

IMG_8477.jpg

Hi @mike730,

It is likely that IG needs to very some information to enable ETF trading on your account Could you please reach out to helpdesk.uk@ig.com ? The helpdesk will be able to assist you trading ETF on your account.

All the best - Arvin