Jump to content
  • 0

Volume indicator - IG charts vs MT4 charts


TommyT

Question

The values of the volume indicator in the IG charts  and the MT4 charts are different - they are not the same values and they are not even a scalar proportion of each other

So where is IG getting is volume and where is MT4 getting its volume?

Using the IG Streaming Companion tool  one can see the various field values in the" Chart" data items of the stream 

Comparing this stream to the IG chart I can see that IG chart's volume is equivalent to the stream's LTV - last traded volume

doing the same for MT4 I can see that the MT4 chart's  volume is equivalent to the stream's LTV CONS_TICK_COUNT - tick count

Given that IG's own chart presents the LTV as the volume, it would seem that this is the preferred measure, and I have to agree. On that basis, I would say MT4 is using the wrong value

I would like to use MT4 to trade, but I don't like tick-count-as-volume. Is there anyway via the MT4 configuration or custom code that I can get hold of the LTV volume. Does anyone at IG know if the LTV data in MT4's tick variables so that I might be able to build my own indicator?

 

 

  

Link to comment

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, TommyT said:

The values of the volume indicator in the IG charts  and the MT4 charts are different - they are not the same values and they are not even a scalar proportion of each other

So where is IG getting is volume and where is MT4 getting its volume?

Using the IG Streaming Companion tool  one can see the various field values in the" Chart" data items of the stream 

Comparing this stream to the IG chart I can see that IG chart's volume is equivalent to the stream's LTV - last traded volume

doing the same for MT4 I can see that the MT4 chart's  volume is equivalent to the stream's LTV CONS_TICK_COUNT - tick count

Given that IG's own chart presents the LTV as the volume, it would seem that this is the preferred measure, and I have to agree. On that basis, I would say MT4 is using the wrong value

I would like to use MT4 to trade, but I don't like tick-count-as-volume. Is there anyway via the MT4 configuration or custom code that I can get hold of the LTV volume. Does anyone at IG know if the LTV data in MT4's tick variables so that I might be able to build my own indicator?

 

 

  

Hi, which asset type are you looking at, FX looks the same on the IG web based platform and mt4.

Link to comment
  • 0
Quote

Hi, which asset type are you looking at, FX looks the same on the IG web based platform and mt4.

 

Casey,

Thank you for your response

I was looking at indices - ftse100 specifically by way of example.

I will check the same for FX and report what I find in that case too

Regards 

Edited by TommyT
include quote
Link to comment
  • 0
6 minutes ago, TommyT said:

 

Casey,

Thank you for your response

I was looking at indices - ftse100 specifically by way of example.

I will check the same for FX and report what I find in that case too

Regards 

I think MT4 can only use tick volume and FX uses tick volume for both platforms but indices are different.

For indices see Ludwik's reply to volume question 2 down.

click on  the pic (link) below.

 

Link to comment
  • 0
3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, which asset type are you looking at, FX looks the same on the IG web based platform and mt4.

Casey,

From viewing the IG stream it appears that, for FX, the tick_count and LTV are the same value. This confirms that in MT4 indicators, for both FX and indices, the volumes are equal to the tick_count. 

Ludwig' response explains why FX uses tick count, but indicies can have a better, calculated LTV. Ludwig makes no reference to MT4.

I would infer that IG/MT4 feed had been poorly implemented to used the tick_count rather than LTV. For FX this is trivially equivalent but for indicies, this is sadly deficient. I will not be using MT4.

regards 

Link to comment
  • 0
13 hours ago, TommyT said:

Casey,

From viewing the IG stream it appears that, for FX, the tick_count and LTV are the same value. This confirms that in MT4 indicators, for both FX and indices, the volumes are equal to the tick_count. 

Ludwig' response explains why FX uses tick count, but indicies can have a better, calculated LTV. Ludwig makes no reference to MT4.

I would infer that IG/MT4 feed had been poorly implemented to used the tick_count rather than LTV. For FX this is trivially equivalent but for indicies, this is sadly deficient. I will not be using MT4.

regards 

The data that brokers provide for free is always going to be limited compared to subscription providers and MT4 has additional limitations being a third party platform.

Research has shown that tick volume data is relative to real volume data but at end of day it's a case of how much we are willing to pay and what level of accuracy we require. 

Link to comment
  • 0

 

On 25/09/2021 at 09:28, Caseynotes said:

The data that brokers provide for free is always going to be limited compared to subscription providers and MT4 has additional limitations being a third party platform.

Research has shown that tick volume data is relative to real volume data but at end of day it's a case of how much we are willing to pay and what level of accuracy we require. 

Casey,

Thank you for all your input on this - much appreciated.

As "free" streams go IGs is quite good. I make the assumption that the integration into MT4 uses this stream, as the correlation to tick count is so exact. I just wish MT4 took advantage of better features of the stream. Perhaps my assumption is wrong and MT4's feed is generic which is independent of the underlying broker

There is some rough correlation between tick volumes and trade volumes but it is far from a linear scalar and diverges even further at higher volumes, when the market is more volatile. For this reason I disregard it

I have looked at other feeds and the best I could discover in terms of content was dxFeed, though like many other similar broker-oriented feeds it is too expensive for me given the base+exchange increment price structure. Of the free or "inclusive" feeds, I think there are none better than IG's so I will happily use the IG feed, though I will be using the REST access. The sample app is very useful once one sorts the 3rd party package updates.

Regards Tom

Link to comment
  • 0
34 minutes ago, TommyT said:

 

Casey,

Thank you for all your input on this - much appreciated.

As "free" streams go IGs is quite good. I make the assumption that the integration into MT4 uses this stream, as the correlation to tick count is so exact. I just wish MT4 took advantage of better features of the stream. Perhaps my assumption is wrong and MT4's feed is generic which is independent of the underlying broker

There is some rough correlation between tick volumes and trade volumes but it is far from a linear scalar and diverges even further at higher volumes, when the market is more volatile. For this reason I disregard it

I have looked at other feeds and the best I could discover in terms of content was dxFeed, though like many other similar broker-oriented feeds it is too expensive for me given the base+exchange increment price structure. Of the free or "inclusive" feeds, I think there are none better than IG's so I will happily use the IG feed, though I will be using the REST access. The sample app is very useful once one sorts the 3rd party package updates.

Regards Tom

You're welcome, am fairly certain that all mt4 markets use tick volume which is number of trades but no indication of the size of trades but think that MT5 is upgraded to include real volume though not sure where that data might come from. If coming from an exchange then presumably there must be a subscription charge. IG are working towards providing MT5 but no time frame as yet.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • How Merlin Is Addressing Bitcoin Scalability With A Unique Layer 2 Approach If you've been around the crypto world for a while, you're likely familiar with the limitations of Bitcoin's Layer 1 and its scalability issues. Over time, we've seen various innovative proposals like Wormhole's unique approach to address these limitations. In this context, Merlin Chain caught my attention. It's a project that aims to tackle Bitcoin's scalability challenges by offering a Layer 2 solution built on the ZK-Rollups model. This translates to faster and cheaper transactions while maintaining security through a decentralized oracle network with anti-fraud measures. Developed by the well-established Bitmap Tech team, Merlin Chain boasts a market cap exceeding $500 million. Their key objective has always been to empower existing Bitcoin assets by enabling them to interact seamlessly on the Layer 2 network. I believe backing from 20+ prominent VC firms like OKX Ventures and ViaBTC suggests confidence in Merlin Chain's future. MERL was launched as the first token on Bitget's pre-market trade platform and had a commendable price action. Is Merlin Chain's Layer 2 solution a long-term solution to this issue? Let's hear your candid opinions in the comments section below! Cheers! #Bitcoin #btc #halving #transactions #merlin #merl #bitget #web3 #wormhole
    • As the crypto sector undergoes transformation, Asia emerges as a formidable player alongside the established giants of the US and Europe. With significant investments and a growing user base, the region's potential for dominance is unmistakable. Leading this movement is Dubai, pioneering crypto adoption with its favorable regulations, attracting crypto exchanges focused on the region. A standout in this field is Bitget, Asia's largest web3 wallet provider, boasting a user base of over 19 million. Through regular events, Bitget cultivates community engagement, recognizing and rewarding the trust and loyalty of its users. One such event, the ongoing "Bitget Super Savings," offers over $20,000 worth of hot tokens across various categories, providing users with an opportunity to enrich their crypto portfolios. For those in South Asia, Bitget extends an invitation to participate in this ongoing event. Seize the chance to earn free hot tokens before the event concludes on April 26th. Good luck!
    • It is ideal that crypto currency exchanges as the admisnistrators of users’ funds should account to them from time to time through transparency reports that can be drafted atleast at the end of every quarter.  Platforms like Bitget have dropped theirs and their growth is pretty impressive. Both spot and derivative volume have grown exponentially. This is a testament to the fact that the team has been doing the good work. In Q1 of 2024, the CEX’s spot trading volume increased by a whopping 113% peaking about $160 billion and the futures trading volume was at about $1.4 trillion signalling a 146% increase.  In march, the platform witnessed the most remarkable growth thus far in the derivative market making it the 3rd largest derivative trading platform for the first time since december 2022.  The user base has also trumped up from the previous 20 million to 25 million users globally.  This demonstrates pure positive social sentiment and traction. In a similar vein, through the course of the previous quarter, the platform added about 186 new tokens, this has placed its number of tokens at 750+ tokens available and 820+ spot tokens.  Most of the listings were relatively very early and some investors made fortunes off it. The launchpool has also witnessed impressive growth, a total of 7 launchpools were done and this led to an increased demand for its native token $BGB. $Bgb has been on steroids since the last quarter, breaking ATHs and establishing new ones. Bitget applauds consistency and security, its Proof of reserve has also grown to about $612 million since March. With this type of security framework users confidence will be instilled to further use Bitget. Here's some proof of the above; https://twitter.com/TokenInsight/status/1767010819282526267
×
×
  • Create New...
us