Interpretation of data like Volume

banena

Question

Hi!

Many indicators use volume and other statistics. I was wondering what exactly these refer to.

Let's assume I am spread betting on shares.

Shares are traded e.g. at the New York stock exchange. That means there is a central institution that registers all trades, including price and volume.

Spread betting is a derived product so I am not actually trading the stock.

What does the volume (e.g. if I grab data through the REST API) in this case refer to? Volume of spread bets at IG or is it the actual volume of the underlying share traded at New York Stock Exchange? 

Things get even more indirect if I was spread betting on an index like US500, in this case I assume that volume would not have any meaningful interpretation about price movement at all?

Thanks a lot on advance!

2 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, banena said:

Hi!

Many indicators use volume and other statistics. I was wondering what exactly these refer to.

Let's assume I am spread betting on shares.

Shares are traded e.g. at the New York stock exchange. That means there is a central institution that registers all trades, including price and volume.

Spread betting is a derived product so I am not actually trading the stock.

What does the volume (e.g. if I grab data through the REST API) in this case refer to? Volume of spread bets at IG or is it the actual volume of the underlying share traded at New York Stock Exchange? 

Things get even more indirect if I was spread betting on an index like US500, in this case I assume that volume would not have any meaningful interpretation about price movement at all?

Thanks a lot on advance!

Hi, this has been asked many times before and this is the best answer from IG I've seen on the forum since it started.

Note it's all a bit grey, stocks on multiple exchanges, markets with no central exchange at all etc. The important point is that the profile of the volume chart (bars higher/lower) from different sources has  good confluence rather than the actual numbers.

See Ludwik's reply 2 posts down.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• Launchpool has been a great avenue for me to earn passively. The just concluded ENA launchpool on the CEX brought 120% gains aside the price of BGB that also went up giving a 2 in 1 profit 
    • Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart, VeChain/ U.S. dollar(VETUSD) VETUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Counter trend     Mode: Corrective Structure: Flat Position: Wave ((C)) Direction Next higher Degrees: wave II of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: 0.2100 Details: Wave II Is equal 50% of Wave I at 0.0270 VeChain/ U.S. dollar(VETUSD)Trading Strategy: The short-term retracement of the second wave is likely to retest the 50% level of the first wave at 0.0270. We expect that the price is still likely to fall further, but only as a pullback. short term to continue Wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the uptrend. VeChain/ U.S. dollar(VETUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating a Downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum.       Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge 4H Chart, VeChain/ U.S. dollar(VETUSD) VETUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Counter trend     Mode: Corrective Structure: Flat Position: Wave ((C)) Direction Next higher Degrees: wave II of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level:  Details: Wave C is equal to 161.8% of Wave A at 0.0265 VeChain/ U.S. dollar(VETUSD)Trading Strategy: The short-term retracement of the second wave is likely to retest the 50% level of the first wave at 0.0270. We expect that the price is still likely to fall further, but only as a pullback. short term to continue Wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the uptrend. VeChain/ U.S. dollar(VETUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating a Downtrend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!    
    • Certain centralised platforms have been very intentional about creating wealth for its users to this end CEXs like Bitget have built certain frameworks to aid this adequately.  Through the instrument of its launch pool, it lets users earn massive APR thus providing a good ground for wealth creation. The performance of some of the launchpool projects lends credence to this, the likes of $ENA, $ZKF $GRAPE and a host of others generated good APRs.  In an almost similar exactitude as the launchpool, the PoolX is the new framework that lets users earn by staking $BGB and $USDT to mine other tokens on the platform. From the products Bitget have brought forth it is safe to say the platform is playing a worthwhile part in wealth creation to every crypto enthusiast around the globe.  Personally, I have participated in these and i will say they are worthwhile opportunities to make fortunes off of, i will advise you jump on it too anon.
us