Trading only USD stock on ISA account. Need clarification on currency conversion

tuquoge5401

Question

Can someone help clarify my understanding on the currency conversion?

Background

1. I have share dealing account and ISA share account.

2. Completely new accounts created this month.

3. I intend to trade only the US stock for now.

Questions I have

1.  I made a transfer with USD to my account, referencing my ISA account id. But the money is transferred to the share dealing account, not ISA account. Is this expected? (but this probably doesn't matter as I can easily move money between 2 accounts)

2. The money is auto-converted to GBP. From my research, it seems impossible to set a base currency to USD for these 2 types of accounts. So is it correct that I cannot avoid such auto-conversion?

3. If I move GBP money to ISA account, then buy a US stock. When I sell the US stock, will I get back the money in GBP or USD? i.e. If I buy a US stock, then sell, then buy again. How many conversions will it happen?

Thank you very much for answering!

1 answer to this question

Hi @tuquoge5401

Thanks for the query. 

1. That should not be the case, if you correctly reference your ISA account ID then the funds should be deposited to your ISA account. Yes you can however easily move the funds between the accounts. 

2. Yes one cannot change the base currency on a share dealing or ISA account. You can however convert your share dealing account into a multi-currency account. This will allow you to hold multiple currencies in your share dealing account. Making it possible to deposit in USD without the need for conversion fees. To make this change go to My IG>live accounts>currency conversion. Then change from instant to manual. Before making this change be aware that it will disqualify you from commission discounts as mentioned in the following link: https://www.ig.com/uk/investments/share-dealing/costs-fees. Multi-currency account is not permitted on the ISA account. 

3. On the ISA account the funds will be auto-converted every time you trade US stocks. That would mean the funds would be converted to USD when you buy then back to GBP when you sell.

All the best, 

Anda 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• While established players like Binance held steady market share, Bitget has shown impressive growth in Q1 2024. Their derivatives market share jumped from 9% to 12% in just two months, pushing them to the number 3 spot, surpassing OKX. This surge coincides with a significant increase in their user base, reaching 25 million.   The exchanges’ growth isn’t limited to market share. Their spot trading volume also saw explosive increases throughout the quarter, culminating in March’s staggering $95 billion. This impressive performance has seen Bitget overtake several competitors, solidifying their position as a leading exchange for both experienced and new crypto traders.
    • SOL is on the move! Keep your eyes peeled as it approaches key resistance at $148.27. Further ceilings await at $148.98 and $151.86. However, a breakthrough could signal a stronger bullish phase.   Support levels stand firm at $141.17, with even stronger foundations at $133.73 and $128.71. These are critical in case of any selling pressure, offering potential buying opportunities on dips.   Feeling bullish? Traders might consider long entries on pullbacks to major support levels, with stop-loss orders placed below $133.73 to manage risk. If SOL struggles, short positions could be in play with targets set at subsequent support levels.
    • In last couple of years, there has been  debate over the top memecoin investment with centre of discussion around DOGE, SHIB, FLOKI, PEPE and a host of others. Personally, I feel comparing any contender to DOGE feels akin to comparing altcoins to BTC. DOGE, being the pioneer memecoin, boasts an impressive $22 billion market cap, towering over its closest competitor, SHIB, with a $13 billion market cap. Its unique endorsement by Elon Musk further solidifies its position. The fervent backing from its vast online and offline community serves as a blueprint for other memecoins to follow. Thus, it's no surprise that DOGE emerged victorious in a recent Bitget poll, where enthusiasts competed to showcase their community's strength in honor of DOGE DAY 2024. With DOGE predictably clinching the win, ten fortunate participants stand to each receive $300 worth of DOGE through the event's gleam completion. Let's seize this opportunity to bolster our crypto portfolios.  
us