Jump to content
  • 0

Spread Betting on US stocks



2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 14/06/2022 at 17:45, Victorus said:

If I do spreadbetting on US Stocks, do I have to pay tax? (e.g. US)

Hi @Victorus

The IRS issued regulations under Section 871(m) to ensure that non-US holders of US equity derivatives – including spread betting and CFDs – are taxed on dividend income in the same way as non-US holders of the underlying equities. The new regulations achieve that by deeming 'dividend-equivalent payments' arising on derivatives over US equities to be US-source dividend income.

Generally, an individual is subject to 30% withholding tax under US rules. However, certain tax treaties that exist between the US and other countries may entitle you, where eligible, to a reduced rate of withholding tax. For example, an eligible resident of the UK is subject to 15% rather than 30% withholding. This means a UK tax resident can receive a net payment equal to 85% of the dividend-equivalent payment, as opposed to 70%.

For more information please kindly visit this link: US withholding tax on derivatives - 871 (m)


All the best - MongiIG

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...