Difference between 'Book cost' and 'Market value'

Guest Joginder

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi  

The book cost is the actual cost of buying the shares at the time you bought them.

The market value is the value of the shares there and then at that point in time.

Say you bought 100 shares at 200p per share. Your book cost is 100 x 200p = 20000p a.k.a £200

Say the market then goes to 250p per share. Your book cost is still £200 (as the price you paid for the stock hasn't changed), but the market value is now £250

I hope this clarifies things but let me know if I can help further. 

Guest harib

Thanks. But I'm referring to standard buying of shares not on margin - I'd just like to be clear that the book cost does not include the dealing commission or any other fees?

7 hours ago, Guest harib said:

Thanks. But I'm referring to standard buying of shares not on margin - I'd just like to be clear that the book cost does not include the dealing commission or any other fees?

you're correct  - it doesn't include trading costs, tax etc on a trade. It is purely number of shares purchased x average cost of share. 

Hi,

I'm new to share trading and wondering if someone could help.

Today I purchased a volume of shares, the aggregates profit is showing as circa £500 but my account total value is showing as having gone down. I also understood the book amount to be my purchase amount but this also seems to keep changing?

Sorry if this is really basic but its all new to me and I'd loves some advice.

Thanks

Guest Gooboog

I've had it happen where I bought 11 shares at an average of 129.49 and the book value ends up being 1901.96 in my account (11X129..49=1424.39).

I've also bought 1320 shares at and average 1.09 and the book value ends up being 1219.40 in the account (1320X1.09=1438.80).

Currency exchange was non factor because it was still a couple of hundred bucks off and some trades were all in the same currency.

Can someone explain this? These are official numbers coming from the bank.

On 07/12/2017 at 08:26, JamesIG said:

Hi  

The book cost is the actual cost of buying the shares at the time you bought them.

The market value is the value of the shares there and then at that point in time.

Say you bought 100 shares at 200p per share. Your book cost is 100 x 200p = 20000p a.k.a £200

Say the market then goes to 250p per share. Your book cost is still £200 (as the price you paid for the stock hasn't changed), but the market value is now £250

I hope this clarifies things but let me know if I can help further. 

Hello,

On my portfolio this forumla doesn't seem to match with the values shown on IG.com. I've buy and sells trades for this stock over the time and I can't figure out how the exact book cost figure has been calculated? 

Hello,

Following are my buy/sell activities for a stock. 

Book cost for this share is showing £111.36 in my portfolio. 

Can you let me know how is this value calculated?

Direction Quantity Price Currency Consideration Commission Charges Cost/Proceeds
BUY 15 666 GBP -99.9 -3 -0.5 -103.4
SELL -49 548 GBP 268.52 -3 0 265.52
BUY 50 1146 GBP -573 -8 -2.87 -583.87