Is Moving Average & Simple Moving Average the same thing?

Guest eoso

Question

I've been following a Youtuber who uses 180 day SMA as one of his indicators but I can't seem to find it in the list of available indicators on IG but "Moving Average" is avaiable.

Are they one and the same and if not how can I recreate the 180 day SMA line?

1 answer to this question

Hi ,  yes they are the same, all types of moving averages are similar be they simple, exponential, smoothed, lineal weighted, Hull, and many others. The number refers to the period the average is applied to so a 180 day sma refers to the simple ma being applied to a daily chart and so averaged over the last 180 days, the 180 sma on a 1 hour chart means the average is taken over the last 180 hours.

So note the time frame of the chart used by the Youtuber you are following and on your same period chart click to add a simple ma and edit it to show 180 periods. 

Just a side note, it is possible but difficult to put a 180 day sma onto a 1 hour chart, easier just to look at 2 charts.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• image.png

• Civic (CVC) emerges as a game-changer in the realm of identity verification, offering a secure and decentralized solution for payment verification between "Identity Verifiers" and "Identity Requesters" within the Civic ecosystem. With its innovative approach and recent developments, Civic is making waves in the cryptocurrency market Payment Verification: Civic's primary use case lies in facilitating payment verification between parties within the Civic ecosystem. By leveraging blockchain technology, Civic provides a secure and transparent method for verifying identities and ensuring trust in transactions.  Integration with Solana Token Extensions: Civic's recent announcement on X revealed that Civic Pass is now integrated with Solana Token Extensions, further enhancing its utility and interoperability within the blockchain ecosystem. This integration opens up new possibilities for Civic's application and adoption.  Civic (CVC) is now listed on Bitget  and other CEX providing users with convenient access to trade and engage with the token. This listing further enhances Civic's visibility and liquidity, attracting new users and investors to the ecosystem. 
    • Gonna DCA if it does below my entry point...
us