CFD's in an ISA?

Guest Chaser

Guest Chaser

Hi I have recently opened an IG. SB /CFD/share dealing account. If I transfer my ISA from my existing broker to IG can I trade CFD's inside this ISA? This would be mainly to avoid the 0.5% tax.

Hi @Chaser - unfortunately you are unable to trade CFD's via an ISA account.

Everyone in the UK over the age of 18 has an annual £20,000 ISA allowance for 2018/19, however because a CFD is a leverage trading offering it wouldn't fit within the tax efficient ISA wrapper. 

If you are looking at a different leverage offering which is tax efficient, may I suggest having a look at the spread betting offering we have? You can see an in depth comparison between CFD and spread betting here, and further info on spread betting specifically at this link. Please note this is for UK residents only. 

Archived