Exchange orders not being fulfilled

Guest TomMartin1983

Question

Guest TomMartin1983

I'm new to this so apologies if there is a basic obvious answer.

I have a BUY working order for VEL VELOCITY COMPOSITES PLC at level of 32p which has been on all day. However trades are happening that are significantly below this value (30.7)  https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/GB00BF339H01GBGBXASQ1.html

Why doesn't my BUY order take precedence?

Thanks for any help and again apologies if obvious.

Tom

3 answers to this question

The listed price is the mid price so is nether a buy or sell price, it is based on the order book that lists offers and bids, the mid price is half way between the best offer and the best bid. Once the best bid or offer is taken up the next best becomes the best and the mid way is recalculated to reflect that. The difference between the bid and offer is the spread which is essentially the cost of the trade.

Hi @TomMartin1983, just looking at your link and can see the spread is very high, the mid price between best bid and best offer is 33.50, the 'bid' to enter a short (trigger a sell order) is 30.00 but the 'offer' to enter a long (trigger a buy order) is 37.00 which is a long way from your buy order of 32.00. Are you sure the offer price did actually fall to 32.00 which should then have triggered your buy order? 

The last trades are not shown as being either buy or sell.

Guest TomMartin1983
5 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi @TomMartin1983, just looking at your link and can see the spread is very high, the mid price between best bid and best offer is 33.50, the 'bid' to enter a short (trigger a sell order) is 30.00 but the 'offer' to enter a long (trigger a buy order) is 37.00 which is a long way from your buy order of 32.00. Are you sure the offer price did actually fall to 32.00 which should then have triggered your buy order? 

The last trades are not shown as being either buy or sell.

Oh I think I see.

Are you saying the prices listed on www.londonstockexchange.com can either be the buy or sell price? and that the 30.07 value maybe the sell price with a buy price greater than my 32.00 buy order?  I assumed all the prices listed were buy price.

Thanks
Tom

Archived