Pre and Post Markets for US Equities

Guest RichB-Trader

Guest RichB-Trader

Hello,

Just looking for people thoughts on the  Pre and Post Markets for US Equities 

Having done a few months of demo account, it seems like opening a trade in the Pre or Post Market means you have a larger spread and therefor pay more "commission" on a spread bet. I say this because the buy and sell prices diverge heavily during these times and close up during the main market when there is more volume. Is this correct? 

Also I am not keen on opening or closing out a position during these Pre or Post Markets as there is very little volume behind the moves and therefor a fakeout/whipsaws ares more likely. 

Am I correct with the above?

I see the advantages of these out of hours market if there is news/earning but other than that I am reticent to trade them otherwise.

Therefor by the same definition, when I upgrade to Pro Real Time I will exclude these  Pre or Post Markets in my candle stick charting as well as the data I download to do my technical analysis. Does this sound sensible? Thanks.
Guest PandaFace

Yup totally correct on that. Illiquid market so that’s all there is I’m afraid :( 

as for PRT you’ll have to wait for an answer from someone else :) 

1 hour ago, RichB-Trader said:

Therefor by the same definition, when I upgrade to Pro Real Time I will exclude these  Pre or Post Markets in my candle stick charting as well as the data I download to do my technical analysis. Does this sound sensible? Thanks.

Hi @RichB-Trader, not sure there is much point as you will only end up with gaps where the out of hours data was and the data may still be very relevant to the chart even if the spread has widened to such a degree that you yourself may not want to participate. 

Guest RichB-Trader

Hello thanks all, my thoughts with omitting it is the spread distorts the candles. I thought the main market really is what should be represented as this is the "true" volume market. For example if you look at Facebook the candles can be 20% top to bottom (caused by out of hours trading) which of course is not as representative making it harder to analyse.

Am I correct you pay more of a spread on out of hours trades? Thanks.

Archived