Sign in to follow this  

Volume indicator - is price movement on low volume better or worse?

I didn’t want to latch on to the crypto discussion with this question so started up a new thread on volume indicators. I thought I understood this one but now I’m not sure. If price moves a big chunk higher with little or below average volume, Is this a more positive move than if the price moves up the same amount but the volume traded was also a lot higher than the previously traded volume levels.

@Nelsy-Boy,

In my experience if the price of an asset moves with low volume then it is a 'weaker move' against when the price of an asset moves on high volume which to me represents a 'stronger move'. The volume tends to go with the trend. To me it shows how much conviction traders have on the trend in play. A word of caution here @Nelsy-Boy. Volume can be manipulated to make it look like there is higher volume to attract trades. 

I am not sure if you have come across the Volume Price Trend (VPT) Indicator? It shows the strength of the price change and the price direction of the asset in question. I am sure if you look this up then you will find plenty of material on this. 

I personally tend to look for an increase in volume when trying to identify trends both on the upwards and downwards.  If I see volume increasing as the price is increasing / decreasing then it is telling me that the trend is getting stronger. There are other indicators to consider but this is just one of many that can go into the 'basket' before making a final assessment / conclusion on whether the trend is strong enough to trade. 

So to answer your question, in my personal opinion, more times than not if the price moves a big chunk higher with little volume then this is not as positive as if the price moved with higher volume. So to summarise below:

• Price moves upwards / downwards on low volume = Potential weaker move / trend
  • Price moves upwards / downwards on higher volume = Potential stronger move / trend
  • Like 1
  • Great! 1

@PandaFace,

Thanks. Yes for me the two most important indicators are 'Price Action' and 'Volume' when looking at identifying trends, establishing trends and giving consideration to whether it is a potential trade or not. 

Guest Tech

There’s also that new one as shown under the blogs section. Useful! 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    galina2809
    Joined 23/01/19 05:15
  • Our picks

• The pull-back is here - APAC brief 23 Jan
      The pull-back is here: The pull-back markets were waiting for – the one we inevitably had to have – has arrived. It’s risk-off across financial markets and the optimism that drove global stocks off their December lows has subsided. Relatively speaking, it’s been a day of significant downside, but nothing yet to warrant tremendous fear. It should be common knowledge, but it bears repeating: proper validation that global equities have truly established a recovery ought to be judged not by the latest high, but by where markets form their next low. The retracement which is apparently upon market participants now hands a golden opportunity to judge this market for what it truly is – have the bulls reclaimed their dominance, or have the bears lulled them into a trap, and now stand poised to assert further downside?

The market’s rationale: A greater look at this subject and Wall Street’s price action later. In relation to the overnight sell-off, the rationale was as feeble as the one that got stocks to their recent peaks in the first place. It’s been chalked up to reduced positivity towards the trade-war, and renewed concerns about global growth. To begin with, very little data throughout the past week has provided a clear and substantial picture on economic growth. The boost in sentiment has come from geopolitical or monetary policy developments that was assumed to be supportive of the growth outlook – at some point in the future.  Some nice-noises made between the US and China in trade negotiations here, and a few dovish comments from a handful of US Fed speaker there, is what ignited the latest part of the risk-on rally.
      • 0 replies