Travelling to Asia (Trading Questions) MT4 Spread Betting

Guest Neil

Question

I am based in the UK and looking to spend 6 months travelling around Asia and would like to trade while there. 

Is it possible to connect via the Singapore server to help with latency? I will be using the MT4 Spread Betting platform.

Many thanks

Neil

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the input.

Not sure a VPN will help improve performance as the connection will still need routing back to the UK from the remote location?

I know that LMAX have a Hong Kong Based server than UK clients can connect via. Just wondering if IG have the same. 

Cheers

Guest Richard Luke

Hi Neil,

As @Caseynotes have said: don't worry about transfer rate/speed of internet in Asia. Averagely, South Korea has the quickest internet speed in the World. And South Korea is in Asia. I live in Asia and by just using 3G SIM Card operated as wifi hotspot, my connection to IG web platform is very responsive (no latency, instant execution). And many parts of Asia served by 4G with higher speed. What to do when You are here in Asia: don't go to extreme rural area, because usually extreme remote/rural is not provided with good internet connection. Even several doesn't have BTS to provide 3G/4G signal. If You really wish to go to very remote areas, then survey the internet providers first. Find which providers have BTS with at least 3G signal. Big Company tends to have BTS up to very remote areas in their service coverage. Second: If You are going to stay near modern cities in Asia, then it would be safe for You. Third: Buy at least 2 SIM Cards from different internet providers and buy the balance for those 2 SIMs and activate internet packages for those 2 SIMs. Once one provider fails to provide internet, then change Your phone SIM to another. Because CFD trading sometimes needs instant execution, so please do this 2 SIMs scenario.  Remember also to bring at least 2 laptops to Asia, also for contingency situation. Remember in critical situation, when "the trading goes to the unwanted direction". You must be able to "STOP THE TRADING" else You would "LOOSE BIG". Good Luck Neil.

Thank's Guest Richard, that looks to be good advice for trading while travelling. I missed Guest Neil's reply to my original reply to his question, I wasn't meaning that a VPN would speed up the connection but rather that many traders use a VPN for security reasons with no concerns that the extra links slow the connection to any great degree. 

Guest Neil
On 25/02/2019 at 08:35, Caseynotes said:

Thank's Guest Richard, that looks to be good advice for trading while travelling. I missed Guest Neil's reply to my original reply to his question, I wasn't meaning that a VPN would speed up the connection but rather that many traders use a VPN for security reasons with no concerns that the extra links slow the connection to any great degree. 

Cheers guys. I missed this earlier. I shall take the advise. 

I will also  a UK based VPS but will be running an Equity Guard style EA that prevents a daily loss or floating loss above 5%. It also disables trading until the following date by instantly closing positions.