How much funding required on a trade

Guest VIKING

Question

Guest VIKING

I am pretty new to this but wish to put my toe in the water so to speak. I have been using demo charts to get my strategy.

How much funding do I need to put into account so as not to be "taken out" in the event of a market surge? I obviously use stop loss and adjust according to market movement, and I intend to start off gently, one pound per point with a view to making five to ten points per trade and move forward from there.

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

6 answers to this question

Hi @VIKING, it will depend on the markets you are looking to trade, size and how many trades you wish to hold at any one time. That's what the demo account is for, play around with different position sizes and markets and see how it affects the margin requirement. So you will have the amount of your account used for margin for the trades you have running and you will need an amount over the margin requirement for lee way to avoid any margin calls.

Guest VIKING

At the moment I favour FTSE 100. Seems to suit me and does not regularly have massive moves which is beneficial to a beginner. Quite like Wall St but need to be keen to its larger movements.

Is £250 enough to get this rolling and build slowly? One trade at a time?

Cheers.

Guest VIKING

OK. I appreciate your time on this. Just gone to FTSE demo to place 1pt trade and margin in box says £370. So... to place and maintain that trade in live account I would need in excess of £370. Presumably for £2 trade double that amount.

Good to get feed back from someone with experience.

Thanks again.

V.

That is basically correct though there are some slight variations such as guaranteed stops for example. The most important figures are the position size and the market price and the % margin needed, (indices is different to FX for example), so Ftse being a lower  price than Dow the margin is a lot less. Play around on the demo and see.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• image.png

• Recently, U.S. Senator Bill Hagerty from Tennessee spoke at the Bitcoin conference, stating his efforts to push for Bitcoin-supportive legislation to promote freedom and opportunity. This year, cryptocurrency has become a key battleground in the election campaigns. It remains to be seen whether future policies on cryptocurrency will improve.
    • The digital landscape is undergoing a profound transformation as attention, once a freely given commodity, is increasingly recognized as a valuable asset. Layer3 is at the forefront of this revolution, pioneering a new economy where attention can be owned, traded, and monetized   This innovative approach empowers individuals to monetize their engagement, providing unprecedented control over personal data. Simultaneously, advertisers benefit from transparent metrics that optimize campaign performance. Content creators are presented with diverse revenue avenues beyond traditional advertising, while the overall ecosystem experiences a more equitable distribution of value.   The implications of Layer3 extend across various sectors. Social media platforms, for instance, can leverage this technology to revolutionize user engagement and monetization strategies. Tokenomics play a crucial role in driving Layer3's economy, incentivizing participation and rewarding value creation. While challenges such as data privacy and market volatility exist, the potential benefits of Layer3 are immense   Anticipation is building as its native token $L3 is on Bitget Pre-market as users await its listing on the exchange. This milestone is expected to significantly increase the token's visibility and accessibility, potentially driving substantial growth and attracting new investors. As the countdown begins, the crypto community watches with keen interest, eager to see how Layer3 will perform in this new chapter.
    • I've been exploring the world of play-to-earn gaming recently, looking for something that's not just about endless grinding but actually offers a fun and rewarding experience. OGC really stood out to me because it combines gaming with a sense of community in a unique way. OGC isn't just a game; it's a platform where you can play, earn, and even help shape its future. You're not just a player; you're part of a community with a voice. The idea of earning crypto while playing games is exciting, but what makes OGC special is its focus on community involvement. Your feedback can directly influence the development of the game, which is a big deal. I've also heard that the OGC token is available for pre-market trading on Bitget. While I'm still getting to know the platform and its features, it's definitely something to keep an eye on. Has anyone else tried OGC? What has your experience been like? I'd love to hear your thoughts and any tips you might have.
us