Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

How to hedge the pound dollar

Recommended Posts

 

Looking for some advice. I have money in an american trading account and i want to ensure that these dollars maintain the same pound value over time. i know i need to hedge the pound/dollar somehow. i took a long position in IG for pound/dollar but then realized the costs of keeping this open long term would cost a fortune in overnight fees. IG states to 'To avoid paying overnight funding you might want to open a trade on a future or a forward contract'. I have no idea what this means. Can Anyone  advise how i can achieve keeping my dollars the same in pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, dietcoke999 said:

 

Looking for some advice. I have money in an american trading account and i want to ensure that these dollars maintain the same pound value over time. i know i need to hedge the pound/dollar somehow. i took a long position in IG for pound/dollar but then realized the costs of keeping this open long term would cost a fortune in overnight fees. IG states to 'To avoid paying overnight funding you might want to open a trade on a future or a forward contract'. I have no idea what this means. Can Anyone  advise how i can achieve keeping my dollars the same in pounds.

HI, you can bring up the forward chart for gbpusd by clicking on the small arrow next to the chart title (see pic) and selecting 'Forward' (aka Futures). They are designed for holding open for the longer term, the spread is larger than for the daily funded bet (DFB, aka Spot or Cash) but there are no overnight funding charges, note the spread is repaid at each 'roll over' at the end of the term (check settings in your my IG page for auto roll over).

image.png.879b66f176003c2a7c786839b967bd1f.png

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

HI, you can bring up the forward chart for gbpusd by clicking on the small arrow next to the chart title (see pic) and selecting 'Forward' (aka Futures). They are designed for holding open for the longer term, the spread is larger than for the daily funded bet (DFB, aka Spot or Cash) but there are no overnight funding charges, note the spread is repaid at each 'roll over' at the end of the term (check settings in your my IG page for auto roll over).

image.png.879b66f176003c2a7c786839b967bd1f.png

 

Great thanks. But I can't seem to find the 'Forward' option:

Untitled.png

Share this post


Link to post

My Australian CFD account doesn't have that option but my UK spreadbetting does so It probably a CFD thing

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Mark27000 said:

My Australian CFD account doesn't have that option but my UK spreadbetting does so It probably a CFD thing

I have a feeling Oz only do indices and commod futures/forwards and not fx but may be wrong.

Edited by Caseynotes

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

I have a feeling Oz only do indices and commod futures/forwards and not fx but may be wrong.

Just checked UK CFD and that doesn't either

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Mark27000 said:

Just checked UK CFD and that doesn't either

ok, so there are only FX Forwards on the SB platform (UK only) and not on the UK CFD platform which only has Forwards and Futures for indices and Commods, same as in Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

ok, so there are only FX Forwards on the SB platform (UK only) and not on the UK CFD platform which only has Forwards and Futures for indices and Commods, same as in Australia.

Yep

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×