Trends in International Relations

Good paper, the other day I came across this link that is worth sharing as well.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/html/digitaleuro.en.html

The digital currency should be real in about two years counting from 2021. Bahamas has just released their digital currency to their citizens and they can now operate with it. China is also testing their digital yuan in Shenzhen so I see it being live in a few months as well.

One point that I think is blocked is that I don't see a public bank being created anytime soon. Many European countries have been asking for a public finance sector that could remedy those sanctions coming from economic powers and nothing has been done. I don't hold hope for a public bank in Europe, maybe the digital currency will remedy some of the aspects but that will be it. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, jlz said:

Good paper, the other day I came across this link that is worth sharing as well.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/html/digitaleuro.en.html

The digital currency should be real in about two years counting from 2021. Bahamas has just released their digital currency to their citizens and they can now operate with it. China is also testing their digital yuan in Shenzhen so I see it being live in a few months as well.

One point that I think is blocked is that I don't see a public bank being created anytime soon. Many European countries have been asking for a public finance sector that could remedy those sanctions coming from economic powers and nothing has been done. I don't hold hope for a public bank in Europe, maybe the digital currency will remedy some of the aspects but that will be it. 

thanks - the regulated digital currency theme is interesting, I think as usual I'm late in trying to understand it...  but it seems to have a long-term potential of further changing our financial system fundamentally (that would deserve a separate thread, maybe..?) - no more bank run worries, no more quarter end repo rate spikes, negative deposit rates could be ruled out...  haven't thought this through at all.  will try to find some accessible analysis on use and  risks... 

Edited by HMB