Share Dealing Ticket - nos alongside buy/sell prices

I have joined IG to access ASX stocks since charges at my previous broker went through the roof.

I started buying AUD shares with TDW years ago, but in recent years all I have done is reinvest the AUD$ dividends from my main stock into a much cheaper ASX share.

Commission charges of £20 per transaction and new account charges of £18 pm (non-refundable trading credit) would wipe out a ridiculous proportion of my biannual dividends.

They throw in one free trade worth  £8 to claim it is only £10 pm - oh yeah?

ASX trades are £20 each so no idea what concession I'd get? - did not wait to find out!

12 months x £18 (£216) plus 2 buys p.a. @ £20 (£40) less 2 unknown rebates is no joke!

Compare that to IG , 2 x AUD 10 (around £11) and my move makes perfect sense. Add FX charges of 0.5% (GBP/AUD) here with 1.5% at Interactive Investors , and I'm happy.

================

Now to my question, On share dealing tickets I see the buy and sell prices , but alongside each is a number.

I thought they were running totals of the numbers bought and sold that day until the number bought went down?

On busy stocks all sorts of numbers flash up in random order - when the market is closed they can be 1 or blank (I think).

Cannot find any reference to them in tutorials or these pages, please help.

TOU is very quiet on ASX most of the time so the 254,434 and 43,946 may not change within hours.

I can only think it is the number traded at the price shown, judging by the busy shares.

I tried to sell at 0.120 but there were no takers so I guess the sell price is 0.115 or lower and buy is actually 0.120

Quite confusing?

9 minutes ago, OzzieHolder said:

Quite confusing?

I'm not familiar with the share dealing ticket and you are right the number isn't on the instruction videos. The only thing I can see that is remotely close are volume figures (see pic)

Hopefully someone will let us know.

image.png.58a86c87f1440184e5804081fa197429.png

Thanks for trying Casey.

Incidentally, Casey or Stoner was one of my first choices for my 'handle' but then I thought of Chris and Jack Holder, who have a history of riding with Poole Pirates (my local speedway team) and that  was much easier to finish off.

TOU are TLOU on AIM, the busier market place for them by an Aussie mile. A couple of times my best option (shares obtainable for the dividend) was to suffer the loss on FX in converting my dividend to GBP and buy on AIM for £8 rather than £20 on ASX..

That approach is still available to me here, even more so in fact , I can choose which market and IG do the currency conversion as part of the trade. Funny but swings and roundabouts now mean I'll be paying £8 on AIM, and £5+ on ASX unless I become a frequent trader (£5) which is becoming increasingly likely. Loving it here, am thinking of moving my ISA over but that broker charges to close an account (one of the few downsides there, but never thought I'd be tempted to leave them. They charge £5.95 per transaction full stop with no pressure to trade, I guess I'll stay there).

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Casey, I think you've nailed looking at you snapshot.

212,966 was one of the numbers I saw a day or two back. It must be the size of the last trade whenever that was?

The indicative share price is presumably from those trades too .... which is why my offers are not accepted.

The update to live data action is now in context too!

It leads to this section (starting) ..

Data Feeds

Data feeds give you control over which shares and live prices you see.

Activating one of the data feeds below incurs a small monthly fee. However, we will refund this fee in each month that you make the minimum number of trades on that exchange. This number is indicated in the column marked ‘Rebate level’.

Sorted! Cheers, two birds with one stone there! Wondered what that meant.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, OzzieHolder said:

Casey, I think you've nailed looking at you snapshot.

212,966 was one of the numbers I saw a day or two back. It must be the size of the last trade whenever that was?

The indicative share price is presumably from those trades too .... which is why my offers are not accepted.

The update to live data action is now in context too!

It leads to this section (starting) ..

Data Feeds

Data feeds give you control over which shares and live prices you see.

Activating one of the data feeds below incurs a small monthly fee. However, we will refund this fee in each month that you make the minimum number of trades on that exchange. This number is indicated in the column marked ‘Rebate level’.

Sorted! Cheers, two birds with one stone there! Wondered what that meant.

The snap was from the exchange site; https://www.asx.com.au/asx/share-price-research/company/TOU

• 2 months later...

Ozzie - not sure whether you are fully up to speed with this yet, and appreciate it's a while since this thread was last added to.  When you are share trading you see the 'yellow strip prices'. These prices represent the best bid and offer prices available at that precise moment for a particular stock, and the numbers next to these prices represent the number of shares currently available at that price - so these can change rapidly based on trades going through, new orders being added (at the best price) or withdrawn, or if the price moves up or down (because the trades have been exhausted at those prices).  If you ever subscribe to a level 2 service, (whilst fascinating, I'm not convinced of the value to a private investor btw) you will see a long list of requested buy and sell prices, but the yellow strip will always be there showing the best price you can trade at. 

Hope this helps

Thanks Big Deal, I have done quite a bit of ASX trading since and twigged how it works.

Occasionally I buy more than is shown and I get precisely the number shown on a partial fill, and the next lowest price appears on the ticket! I edit my ticket to that price and it does the same again if my order has not been filled.

I usually have to edit the number being bought (which has to be the original TOTAL less all partials that you want) for lack of funds!

First time I did that, I changed the number wanted to the number available at the new limit price, and of course (with hindsight) it closed the trade because it was now filled!

Cost me another commission to buy the outstanding shares :O)

Good fun, best wishes

Ozzie

Edited by OzzieHolder