Is volatility your friend?

25 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Are big, unpredictable swings of price up and down an 'opportunity' as far as you're concerned?

Or is such a situation more like to be a 'danger' and something to avoid taking part in?

They need to be treated with caution (catching falling knives), chasing the market can be problematic, getting filled late but just in time for the whipsaw to take you out, even with the always needed larger stop is common. Like any new news event many prefer to wait for the dust to settle, often after a spike you get a nice channel, today looks more like a flag but at some point consensus will decide direction and that will usually lead to a measured move (either direction) at least as big as the spike and far easier to get aboard.

Volatility can certainly be your friend if you're on the right side of it. 

I think the most important thing to remember on recent volatility moves such as this one is that they can come at ANY time and therefore your risk management procedures must be rock steady and absolutely geared to unknown moves. Guaranteed stops, trailing, options hedge, vol hedge. Whatever ... just keep on it.

Reuters headline at 2pm on 15/08/19: Futures show markets headed for sharp fall on trade war deterioration fears!

Reuters headline at 6pm on 15/08/19:  Market rallies as trade war relations improve!

I had a vague feeling that trading was a mug's game before, but with the passing of each day I'm starting to feel something like contempt and aversion to this stupidity.

• Like 1
Guest PandaFace
3 hours ago, dmedin said:

Reuters headline at 2pm on 15/08/19: Futures show markets headed for sharp fall on trade war deterioration fears!

Reuters headline at 6pm on 15/08/19:  Market rallies as trade war relations improve!

I had a vague feeling that trading was a mug's game before, but with the passing of each day I'm starting to feel something like contempt and aversion to this stupidity.

Newspapers (and online) are there to sell clicks and reads. Not to accurately reflect the market. 

Also things can change in that space of time! Did you see the last 2 days?!

I saved this recording of a webinar from a few days ago on Volatility by Chris Weston (formerly of IG). Haven't seen the whole thing yet (60 min) but looks good, covers how to use volatility as a tool to aid trading and uses insider broker info for emphasis.

How to use Realised vol, Implied vol, Risk Reversals, COT, ATRs, BBs and options positioning and lots more.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

I saved this recording of a webinar from a few days ago on Volatility by Chris Weston (formerly of IG). Haven't seen the whole thing yet (60 min) but looks good, covers how to use volatility as a tool to aid trading and uses insider broker info for emphasis.

How to use Realised vol, Implied vol, Risk Reversals, COT, ATRs, BBs and options positioning and lots more.

Maybe it works for the big/institutional traders ... I doubt it works for the 'retail ****'.

Edited by dmedin

I'm obviously just too stupid to understand what volatility is.

Reuters has this to say about GDP/USD:

Soft Brexit tones make pair susceptible to flash moves higher owing to thin summer liquidity. (PS/PAS)

But nobody bothers to look at volume.

A nice wee flash is a brilliant way to shake off all the bottom feeding retail clients with their pathetically tight stops.

:D

On 16/08/2019 at 09:21, Caseynotes said:

you haven't had time to watch it and by the way didn't you once ask how do you use options positioning as an indicator? well it's all there.

In fairness I have not finished watching it yet.  Only managed the first 15 minutes.  Must keep going and finish it tonight.

Options positioning: yes.  Reuters market news mentions them all the time.

Also: strength of individual stocks relative to the index.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• ASX: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA. - CBA Elliott Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (1D Chart)   Greetings, Our Elliott Wave analysis today updates the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) with COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA. - CBA. We identify a correction wave as the 2-red wave that has just ended, and we are continuously watching for a CBA for a Long-term trade.     ASX: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA. - CBA Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   ASX: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA. - CBA 1D Chart (Semilog Scale) Analysis   Function: Major trend (Minor degree, red) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave 3-red Details: The short-term outlook indicates a fairly rapid and strong price increase from the low of 109.94, suggesting that the 2-red wave has concluded, and the 3-red wave is unfolding. Pushing above and breaking the upper boundary line of the channel further clarifies this bullish view. We are closely monitoring CBA as we identify a long-term trading opportunity by seeking a strong support level at the Minor Level 110. Invalidation point: 96.15       ASX: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA. - CBA Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (4-Hour Chart)   ASX: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA. - CBA Elliott Wave Technical Analysis ASX: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA. - CBA 4-Hour Chart Analysis   Function: Major trend (Minor degree, red)   Mode: Motive   Structure: Impulse   Position: Wave 3-red   Details: The shorter-term outlook suggests that the recent completion of the 1-red wave and the initiation of the 2-red wave have occurred to push prices lower. It appears that the 2-red wave has completed, allowing the 3-red wave to unfold upwards. We are closely monitoring CBA as there is a potential long-term trading opportunity with CBA. A rise above 120.60 would clarify the bullish outlook.   Invalidation point: 95.15         Conclusion:   Our analysis, forecast of contextual trends, and short-term outlook for ASX: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA. - CBA aim to provide readers with insights into the current market trends and how to capitalize on them effectively. We offer specific price points that act as validation or invalidation signals for our wave count, enhancing the confidence in our perspective. By combining these factors, we strive to offer readers the most objective and professional perspective on market trends.   Technical Analyst: Hua (Shane) Cuong, CEWA-M (Master’s Designation).   Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart, Cadarno/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD) ADAUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Function: Counter Trend Mode: Corrective Structure: Flat Position: Wave C Direction Next higher Degrees: wave (II) of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid level:  Details: Wave II Is equal to 61.8% of Wave I at 0.358 Cadarno/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction in the Expanded Flat pattern, where we are in the middle of a decline in Wave C, will have five extended internal sub-waves. But we still have one more decline left for Wave C to complete. So wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. Cardano/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is below the MA200 indicating a Dow trend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum.       Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge H4 Chart, Cadarno/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD) ADAUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis  Function: Follow Trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave 4 Direction Next higher Degrees: wave C of Flat Wave Cancel invalid level:  Details: A short-term pullback in wave 4 before falling again in wave 5. Cardano/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD)Trading Strategy: The second wave correction in the Expanded Flat pattern, where we are in the middle of a decline in Wave C, will have five extended internal sub-waves. But we still have one more decline left for Wave C to complete. So wait for the correction to complete to rejoin the trend. Cardano/ U.S. dollar(ADAUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is below the MA200 indicating a Dow trend, The Wave Oscillator is a Bearish Momentum. Technical Analyst : Kittiampon Somboonsod Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!    
us