Jump to content
  • 0

Why was i stopped out even though the candle didn't go anywhere near the SL?


GrandVision

Question

Hi, I placed a trade on EUR/JPY. As you can see in the image, my entry was around 12057. I placed the SL at 12049, and TP just under 12070.

 The price went nowhere near the SL area yet i was still stopped out? This is very concerning, it has also happened some times before but only when ranges were much smaller than this so i thought nothing of it.

What is the reason for this? Is it the spread? non-guarenteed stops? 

Very frustrating to be stopped out when price doesnt even seem to hit the SL. Even if i just got wicked i wouldn't mind, but this is a phantom stop out of nowhere. 😣

stoppedout.png.e6596b675e0f3b748f474c5f806554c3.png.

Edited by GrandVision
Link to comment

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
11 hours ago, GrandVision said:

Hi, I placed a trade on EUR/JPY. As you can see in the image, my entry was around 12057. I placed the SL at 12049, and TP just under 12070.

 The price went nowhere near the SL area yet i was still stopped out? This is very concerning, it has also happened some times before but only when ranges were much smaller than this so i thought nothing of it.

What is the reason for this? Is it the spread? non-guarenteed stops? 

Very frustrating to be stopped out when price doesnt even seem to hit the SL. Even if i just got wicked i wouldn't mind, but this is a phantom stop out of nowhere. 😣

stoppedout.png.e6596b675e0f3b748f474c5f806554c3.png.

Hi, you don't give the times of the trade but if you were long then to exit you must sell back at the bid price, if you set the chart to Bid you can see price touched twice at 12049, at around 3pm and 10pm.

image.thumb.png.284f3e71efab6ff49623250242d24097.png

Link to comment
  • 0
1 hour ago, GrandVision said:

Thanks for the reply, that chart is way different to mine. I was stopped out in between your 2 blue arrows.


WTH? Is the chart update a simulator or something? Surely price is the same for everybody based off a server update? it should draw the candles based off the data that is at the server. Why is it drawing some random candles on each client? that seems wrong imo. I dont even know how it can be possible tbh. I could understand if it was a different sub market for the PAIR , but that is not the case here. Its all IG markets. Well i guess i should stick to very wide stop strategies in future to minimize the risk of this happening.stopout.thumb.png.8928f34f6f0bdc1fd3fd84918890f0ef.png

yes you're right, looking more closely toggling between Ask, Mid and Bid should change the levels but not the proportions of the candles, maybe @CharlotteIG can check with tech. It looks like the spread widened considerably leading up to 10pm Thursday as is reflected when price is set to Bid but not seen when price is set to Mid or Ask.

Link to comment
  • 0
8 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

yes you're right, looking more closely toggling between Ask, Mid and Bid should change the levels but not the proportions of the candles, maybe @CharlotteIG can check with tech. It looks like the spread widened considerably leading up to 10pm Thursday as is reflected when price is set to Bid but not seen when price is set to Mid or Ask.

Why does spread widen at that time of night? does it do it automatically based on trading volume/liq? 

It was thanksgiving so the US markets closed earlier; this may have caused the algo to widen the spreads more than usual.

 

Link to comment
  • 0
10 hours ago, GrandVision said:

Why does spread widen at that time of night? does it do it automatically based on trading volume/liq? 

It was thanksgiving so the US markets closed earlier; this may have caused the algo to widen the spreads more than usual.

 

This has come up before and no real satisfactory answer given as to why strange spikes and increased spreads occasionally occur around 9 - 10pm. Not being an IG employee I couldn't say for sure but my own suspicion is that at the close of the US market many main stream liquidity providers go offline and in order to keep providing prices IG need to access alternative liquidity streams providing less favourable prices causing a sudden widening of the spread.

Link to comment
  • -1

Thanks for the reply, that chart is way different to mine. I was stopped out in between your 2 blue arrows.


WTH? Is the chart update a simulator or something? Surely price is the same for everybody based off a server update? it should draw the candles based off the data that is at the server. Why is it drawing some random candles on each client? that seems wrong imo. I dont even know how it can be possible tbh. I could understand if it was a different sub market for the PAIR , but that is not the case here. Its all IG markets. Well i guess i should stick to very wide stop strategies in future to minimize the risk of this happening.stopout.thumb.png.8928f34f6f0bdc1fd3fd84918890f0ef.png

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      20,156
    • Total Posts
      88,291
    • Total Members
      69,135
    • Most Online
      7,522
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    PearMan
    Joined 07/10/22 15:37
  • Posts

    • Hi @greenscorpio1000 Unfortunately we do not have this feature on the mobile app. You can only access the Swap rates on the web platform. The screenshot attached is an indication of todays rate (now at -2.67) which will be a charge on the account. Please note that open positions held through 10pm (UK time) on Fridays will be adjusted for three days’ worth of funding to cover the weekend. All the best, O.D
    • Recent commentary from a number of high-profile Federal Reserve members indicates their willingness to keep up the pressure on fighting inflation.   The incoming consumer price inflation (CPI) data on Thursday will be key and may surprise on the upside as has been the case for much of this year. IGTV’s Jeremy Naylor looks at EUR/USD.          
    • Market data to trade the week starting 10 October: US earnings; US CPI For equity traders it’s the start of another period of intense activity as third quarter earnings begin to be released. IG technical analyst, Axel Rudolph FSTA, looks at the chart of JP Morgan (JPM) as an opener. Axel also examines a trade around US inflation and chooses to analyse the S&P 500.          
×
×
  • Create New...