Chart volume incorrect

JakeH8

Question

I have recently noticed that the chart volume for some shares is incorrect, sometimes by 100,000's. I have cross-referenced the figures between my normal charting software and other platforms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, JakeH8 said:

As seen in the second last volume bar on the last two pictures (Incredible Charts and Commsec) show roughly 750k volume where as the first pictures (IG) shows about 18k volume.

Hi, search the forum for threads on volume as there has been a lot written as well as an explanation from IG as to how and where they collect volume data from for different markets. eg, which exchange or collection of exchanges or IG's own market. Though the actual numbers often differ from different sources the profile of the volume chart is usually very consistent.

• Like 1

Hi Caseynotes,

I understand you're trying to be helpful but you actually haven't been. A quick search on the forum with the screenshot you provided hasn't delivered a very detailed and non-vague answer.

The Australian stock market has two exchanges - ASX and Chi-X. There is very little volume that gets done on the Chi-X so its predominantly the ASX where most of the volume gets done.

I'm currently looking at a five minute chart of Nearmap (NEA), a highly active mid-cap stock. On IRESS and Tradingview, the first 5 minutes (10:00am to 10:05am) shows the volume as 121,000 shares which is correct. ProRealTime/IG shows a volume at that time of 74 which is just not possible.

Can someone from IG please answer this as this is completely messing up scanner for ASX stocks? Thank you.

NEA_Prorealtime_IG.png

Tradingview&IRESS.png

• Like 1