Jump to content

Beginner starting out with small budget


Recommended Posts

Hi there

I am fairly new to stock trading and have played around on coinbase with bitcoin and there I was able to invest my starting budget of £100-200 however now on IG I can see I am unable to buy stocks of larger companies as the minimum per point is 0.5 :( does this mean I can only invest in stocks which have a lower price eg ether and barclays and not the larger ones such as tesla/amazon etc. 

I though as a beginner I could start out with only a small sum/budget and was wondering if the only way to buy stocks of the larger companies is to have a much larger budget/portfolio.

I have started on IG demo for now with virtual money (reduced it from 10,000 to 1,000), however when I want to switch to my actual budget (100-200) will I be quite limited?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, wildiroam said:

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Hi, yes you are correct in that the regulator has deemed that retail traders must be protected from themselves and so a hefty margin is now required to enter trades. As the price of the asset is incorporated into the margin calculation you will find that a small account will mean the more costly assets such as the big US stocks will be out of reach and so you need to look instead at cheaper UK stocks or even the ftse indices.

Check also the differences between investing and trading and define just what it is you wish to practice as the goals of the two are very different.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, yes you are correct in that the regulator has deemed that retail traders must be protected from themselves and so a hefty margin is now required to enter trades. As the price of the asset is incorporated into the margin calculation you will find that a small account will mean the more costly assets such as the big US stocks will be out of reach and so you need to look instead at cheaper UK stocks or even the ftse indices.

Check also the differences between investing and trading and define just what it is you wish to practice as the goals of the two are very different.

Hi Caseynotes,

Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate you taking your time to help answer my question.

Sorry for not using correct terminology, I am still learning. I am looking into day trading.

I will continue to play around with the virtual £1,000 and see how it is goes before starting to use my own money. 

Link to comment

It's an AIM share that is traded in low volumes, probably for good reason. Low revenue company with high debt. No doubt they are on the verge on producing the next 'big thing'. Probably a cure for the coronavid snuffle. I'm no day trader, but if I were, it wouldn't be my first choice, or probably my millionth choice either for that matter.

  • Like 1
  • Great! 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, wildiroam said:

Hi Caseynotes,

Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate you taking your time to help answer my question.

Sorry for not using correct terminology, I am still learning. I am looking into day trading.

I will continue to play around with the virtual £1,000 and see how it is goes before starting to use my own money. 

yes, the key is to learn how to trade first and then consider which markets to specialise in and so you should look for more liquid markets rather than the chart above, something more general like the FTSE. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

QUESTION: I AM ASKING IF I HAVE BROUGHT SHARES ON NASDAQ PRIOR TO MARKET OPENING (11:30PM) AND OPEN PRICE $3.00. MY WORKING ORDER/RESERVE BUY $3.40..... CURRENT MARKET ATM IS $5, WILL MY WORKING ORDER BE ACCEPTED WHEN WALL STREET OPENS????

Link to comment

QUESTION: I AM ASKING IF I HAVE BROUGHT SHARES ON NASDAQ PRIOR TO MARKET OPENING (11:30PM) AND OPEN PRICE $3.00. MY WORKING ORDER/RESERVE BUY $3.40..... CURRENT MARKET ATM IS $5, WILL MY WORKING ORDER BE ACCEPTED WHEN WALL STREET OPENS????

Link to comment
21 minutes ago, wildiroam said:

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I am sorry to bother, I have looked up FTSE on investopedia and read the description, however I am still a but stumped on why you are suggesting I look into FTSE. Does this mean look at markets listed in this list; http://www.stockchallenge.co.uk/ftse.php

and find markets which are a low enough price for me to trade? 

 

 

 

no bother, was just suggesting that rather than look at a single stock instead consider practicing on the market as a whole, much more liquid, relatively cheap for a small account size and usually has a reasonable amount of movement on a day by day basis.

In the example below a £1/point long position would mean a risk of £40 for a reward of £75 and you would need to hold £300 in your account to cover the trade. As you can see by the H1 chart that amount of movement short term is not unusual.

image.thumb.png.989773ba8e2b788abe63a66d012ecb64.png

 

Edited by Caseynotes
  • Like 1
Link to comment

There are a limited amount of stocks available to trade with IG, however they do exist.  for instance (assuming you mean to Spread Bet).

Lloyds

Sig plc

HYVE

Velocys Plc.  I have traded these recently with as little as £5 margin.

Edited by nit2wynit
Link to comment
On 19/05/2020 at 12:11, wildiroam said:

Hi there

I am fairly new to stock trading and have played around on coinbase with bitcoin and there I was able to invest my starting budget of £100-200 however now on IG I can see I am unable to buy stocks of larger companies as the minimum per point is 0.5 :( does this mean I can only invest in stocks which have a lower price eg ether and barclays and not the larger ones such as tesla/amazon etc. 

I though as a beginner I could start out with only a small sum/budget and was wondering if the only way to buy stocks of the larger companies is to have a much larger budget/portfolio.

I have started on IG demo for now with virtual money (reduced it from 10,000 to 1,000), however when I want to switch to my actual budget (100-200) will I be quite limited?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

You should have 2 blue ish buttons at the very top of your web trading app. One of the is Manage Funds. Use it to reduce your equity.

Link to comment
Guest Knowledge First

Based on some of the questions you are asking here wildiroam, I would suggest not trading at all right now with real money. You are missing some fundamental knowledge that is required if you want to earn anything from this.

Think of it that you are up against 1000's of other folks around the world who all want to be the next million dollar trader, you need to arm yourself to do so. Some of your questions are fundamental things that I had to learn before trading. I would suggest using the IG Training before even playing with the demo account. Then you can start putting into practise what you have learnt.

https://www.ig.com/uk/learn-to-trade/ig-academy

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • Staking to receive hourly rewards on Bitget PoolX is a less risky way of earning with the volatility attached to crypto trading
    • While the volatility of the crypto space is always a factor, the eternal quest to earn is ever present. This in part, means that, even after earning, we will want to make the earnings earn more. To do this however, requires an insight into the earning mechanisms at our disposal and correctly picking the best ones will transform idle assets into a productive investment. In a recent analysis of the staking rates across the crypto market, Bitget's PoolX platform offers the highest returns among similar flexible savings accounts from Huobi, OKEX, and Bybit. Especially lucrative for ETH, PoolX boasts an impressive APR of up to 28.61%. Users can stake BGB, USDT, BTC, or ETH to receive free airdrops of popular tokens daily, with rewards distributed hourly and available for immediate withdrawal. If staking ever comes to mind, you could leverage analysis like these to enjoy some of the highest returns available in the crypto market today. PS: Let me know in the comment section if there are better options elsewhere!
    • Bit Starz, a leading online casino known for its extensive selection of slots and table games, is offering an exciting promotion in 2024. By using the promo code “hella”, players can receive a generous 240 free spins, providing ample opportunities to win big on popular slot games. Overview of Bit Starz: Bit Starz is renowned for its wide variety of high-quality casino games, including slots, table games, and live dealer options. The platform is praised for its user-friendly interface, fast withdrawal times, and excellent customer support. Bit Starz accepts multiple currencies, including cryptocurrencies, making it a versatile choice for players worldwide. Promo Code and Bonus: Promo Code: hella Bonus: 240 free spins How to Use the Promo Code: Visit Bit Starz: Open your web browser and go to the Bit Starz website. Sign Up or Log In: If you are a new user, click on the “Sign Up” button to create a new account. You will need to provide your email, create a username, and set a password. If you already have an account, click on the “Log In” button and enter your credentials to access your account. Navigate to the Promotions Section: Once logged in, go to the promotions or bonuses section of your account. Enter the Promo Code: In the promo code field, type “hella” and click on the “Submit” or “Redeem” button. Claim Your Free Spins: After entering the code, you will instantly receive 240 free spins. These spins can be used on selected slot games available on Bit Starz. Benefits of the Promotion: The 240 free spins offer a significant advantage to both new and existing players. Free spins allow players to try out various slot games without risking their own money. This bonus can lead to substantial winnings, enhancing the overall gaming experience. Tips for Maximizing Your Bonus: Explore Different Games: Use your free spins to try different slot games on the platform. This helps in discovering which games you enjoy the most and where you have the best chances of winning. Check Game Contributions: Some games contribute more to wagering requirements than others. Make sure to play games that count significantly towards fulfilling these requirements. Stay Informed: Regularly check the promotions page for additional offers that can further boost your balance or provide extra rewards. By following these steps and using the promo code “hella”, you can maximize your gaming experience on Bit Starz. Enjoy the excitement and potential winnings with this generous 240 free spins bonus in 2024.
×
×
  • Create New...
us