PRT Advanced Training, why do we have to pay??

DavyJones

Question

Looking at the PRT website it appears that the advanced training is not free.

https://www.prorealcode.com/courses/prorealtime-advanced-programming/

Seriously? Don't IG want to encourage us to make deals? Why on earth should we pay for this? 

First time I have ever heard of a software where the user has to pay to access online training videos!  The point is to encourage users to use their software 

Edited by DavyJones

9 answers to this question

4 hours ago, DavyJones said:

Looking at the PRT website it appears that the advanced training is not free.

https://www.prorealcode.com/courses/prorealtime-advanced-programming/

Seriously? Don't IG want to encourage us to make deals? Why on earth should we pay for this? 

First time I have ever heard of a software where the user has to pay to access online training videos!  The point is to encourage users to use their software 

I just use this to help ......................   https://www.prorealcode.com/

@DavyJones After you recommended PRT the other day I got hands on it and I am not too impressed to be honest.

I can see the value of using PRT if you already know it but for someone that is starting with it I would just recommend using the charting tools that are coming with IG and TradingView plus the IG API for automated trading. That should cover most of the what is needed to deal.

Anyway I ended watching this list of videos on YouTube, just leaving it here in case it is useful for anyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6nT3oeSgjw&list=PL_aOI0PWjUsfw6WZ-d3oEGK1NTVRF0WRJ

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jlz said:

I can see the value of using PRT if you already know it but for someone that is starting with it I would just recommend using the charting tools that are coming with IG and TradingView plus the IG API for automated trading. That should cover most of the what is needed to deal.

Hi jlz, thanks for your reply,  do you mean the online platform? That's nowhere near as good at ProRealTime (in my view). Screeners, alerts, programmable indicators, back-testing etc are all available in PRT. Charting tools much better. Its nice to have complex ways of losing cash   😂

I guess it depends on what you are using if for. Low frequency trading (>3 a week) and yeah sure there is no need for it. I get your point on just starting out with PRT, it is not user-friendly to be honest . The order-window is near impossible to find once it disappears  

I used the API before but I found it very fiddly, full of bugs (would crash excel)  and it seems like it's barely supported.

I think its worth persisting with PRT as once you become familiar with it, it starts to pay off. EAch to theor own of course 

5 hours ago, dmedin said:

The three manuals (for PRT, Screener and Backtest) give you all the info you need and are free.

It's antiquated French software and I wouldn't pay for it.

TradingView is about 20 years more up-to-date.

I used to use TradingView but you can trade off that though right?

One concern I have about using non DealThrough software (like Trading view) is that they don't take spreads into account. This can make or break a trade, For example last two trades I got the direction right but  Centra (CNA) but spread was 1.2bps but the High-Low was only 1.5, 

Personally I feel its too easy to focus on the technology and not on the trading. No one needs 4000 indicators  😄

Actually I much prefer IB's Trader Workstation as they have decent news feeds but they don't do spread-bet, only CFD  which is too costly. If they start offering  spread bet its adios IG

Also I would like to have my share dealing and SB all one the one platform. PRT doesn't support share-dealing . I will probably move my Share portfolio over to them 

• Like 1

Early bird catches the worm

Being sharp at 5 am must give you an edge in this world Mr Jones :D

PRT is very popular among the crew here so it is worth learning it, even if it is for the sake of understanding some of the posts about it. I can add my 2 pence by looking at the programming manuals, it seems to be stinky Visual Basic so it should not be too difficult.

I recommended the API because I develop software for a living, sometimes I forget that not everyone is familiar with coding. I use the API by calling it with c# or python clients and I am allergic to Excel so I didn't experience some of the bugs you mentioned. I don't trade anything manually , all my trades are executed by calling the API so I make sure that I follow a system. 

The author of the course mentioned that you can get it for free on your first trade in these brokers. I guess we could do a hit and run to get it.

"By opening a trading account with PRT-CFD or PRT Interactive Brokers, the training is offered from the first order executed on the account."

• Sad 1
23 hours ago, jlz said:

The author of the course mentioned that you can get it for free on your first trade in these brokers. I guess we could do a hit and run to get it.

"By opening a trading account with PRT-CFD or PRT Interactive Brokers, the training is offered from the first order executed on the account."

thanks dude, I spoke to Nicholas and  the sales manager at PRT London yesterday 

To avail of the training and the pro version of PRT , one must open a NEW IG account through PRT directly.  a lot of IG customers have already done this according to PRT . Now the somewhat astute of you here might think that it's pointless as I already have an IG, i.e. what's the point of opening a new one (via PRT) and then asking IG to transfer my holdings to this new account and close down the old one. IG are still the dealers and PRT just the software providers, they do not act as dealers.  It just gives PRT staff, and IG staff extra work, with the end result being back at square one . I suggested that I email IG and tell them what I wanted to do so PRT can get their commission or however they get paid 

However we live a world where laterally thinking is a hindrance and "computer says no" 😕

It makes zero sense to me, I was going to go and do  it yesterday but I realised that I can only open a CFD account with PRT but I only ever use SB, CFD commissions always seem too much and there is a minimum charge 

17 minutes ago, DavyJones said:

thanks dude, I spoke to Nicholas and  the sales manager at PRT London yesterday ...

I went on my side to check for the learning materials. They seem to be very detailed into everything you can do with PRT.  Link to the library: 

https://www.prorealtime.com/en/indicator-library

https://trading.prorealtime.com/en/programming-help

Both links seem to point to the same files at the end. 

I think the course you are after is a fast track of what it is contained in those pdfs and with enough patience you would achieve the same goal.

• Sad 1