Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible, scalping (stocks)?

It seems to me that using SB is for the majority pointless for scalping stocks due to the wide spreads, I tried it several times and although I get the direction right (mostly), I barely make the spread back. With share dealing  you have the advantage of a tighter spread but you have to factor

- £6 return ticket  (UK)
- can only go long.
- 0.5% on buy side (UK exchanges)

The last one seem to put us back in the same position as the SB route. US exchanges have a 0.00207% and no fees (if >3 trades pm) so seems viable 
Looking at a few past trades, it seems like its only the very opportune trades that can work with?

Anyone try it ?

• Thought provoking 1

Well, only thing I can suggest is try skimming the indices or FX instead.

2 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Well, only thing I can suggest is try skimming the indices or FX instead.

thanks, I am trying to learn more about Range breakouts (backed by volume) but such short time frames (1min, 2min) seem a no go. 

• Like 1

SB/CFD on shares is uniquely unsuited to this because of the massive spreads.  I think the Americans accomplish it by actually buying and selling on leverage (or with options), but of course then they run the risk of getting it wrong and owing their broker thousands/tens of thousands on a bad trade.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, dmedin said:

SB/CFD on shares is uniquely unsuited to this because of the massive spreads.  I think the Americans accomplish it by actually buying and selling on leverage (or with options), but of course then they run the risk of getting it wrong and owing their broker thousands/tens of thousands on a bad trade.

I was looking at a few live stream, the d@vil is in the detail

1) They all use large capital sizes ($50k min) to scrape out a few hundred dollars. People get fooled by the click bait titles, e.g Oliver Velez "I made $5k in the first 30mins of the open trading Facebook". Look closely at the screen, pause the video, and you see that he bought  2000 shares (at $240 a share), Nice if you have  1/2 million dollars in your account 
2) they have exceptionally tight spreads that is a lot better than IG 
3) Their set up is very professional and get filled a lot quicker than perhaps we could, not sure

Edited by DavyJones
  • Like 1

The have an incredible ability to show only the winning days. None of them record it when they lose massively.

50k IMHO is still very low to scalp, trades can go wrong easily so we need funds to outsmart loses.

I loss will equal to many wins in scalping, normally to the rate of 1:50, meaning 1 loss can eat the profit of 50 winning trades by average. I don't see how you would do that with 50k. 

There is a reason why they ask for 500k to become a professional trader. I believe many of those pros would be very happy to sign Oliver Velez's profit per day.

• Like 1