Jump to content
  • 0

Are IG Options Liquidated on Assignment


AbsurdK

Question

Hiya - I am trying out a test account so no real money and was looking to experiment with wheel like strategies. I sold some A200 puts which were assigned however it seems rather than the resulting position being opened it was just liquidated at the loss on assignment. Am I missing something silly here?

image.thumb.png.d6711b4bd59422fe895ca17403387022.png

Link to comment

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 23/11/2020 at 12:10, AbsurdK said:

Hiya - I am trying out a test account so no real money and was looking to experiment with wheel like strategies. I sold some A200 puts which were assigned however it seems rather than the resulting position being opened it was just liquidated at the loss on assignment. Am I missing something silly here?

image.thumb.png.d6711b4bd59422fe895ca17403387022.png

Hey @AbsurdK

Thanks for your post. 

Sometimes if you're close to the deadline date the positions can close however if it's that close that it practically closed straight away that wouldn't be the case. 

Demo accounts can sometimes have issues as we put most of our resources into the live accounts however there were no known issues with them earlier this week. 

What I would suggest is emailing/ live chatting us so we can walk you through what happened. 
All the best

Link to comment
  • 0

Hi @AbsurdK and @CharlotteIG,

I'm also playing with the options on demo with the occasional foray into a real trade on my live account, so I may be completely wrong here, or have misunderstood the original question.

But isn't this just the behaviour you would expect with a cash settled option - on expiry you wouldn't receive the underlying A200 ETF or future. (I believe most index options are cash settled (apart from the S&P where you have the choice), and looking at the info tag on the A200 it seems that they definitely are.)

And now @AbsurdK you've got me googling wheel strategies... They're a fascinating asset class, aren't they?

Cate

Link to comment
  • 0
23 hours ago, cate said:

Hi @AbsurdK and @CharlotteIG,

I'm also playing with the options on demo with the occasional foray into a real trade on my live account, so I may be completely wrong here, or have misunderstood the original question.

But isn't this just the behaviour you would expect with a cash settled option - on expiry you wouldn't receive the underlying A200 ETF or future. (I believe most index options are cash settled (apart from the S&P where you have the choice), and looking at the info tag on the A200 it seems that they definitely are.)

And now @AbsurdK you've got me googling wheel strategies... They're a fascinating asset class, aren't they?

Cate

This is absolutely correct, they do have an expiry. What I understood is that the position was opened and then instantly closed which shouldn't happen. But there is an expiry and if that's when it closed it's correct. 

@AbsurdK did you check the expiry before it opened. If not you can find it in the get info section next time. 

All the best 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
4 hours ago, CharlotteIG said:

This is absolutely correct, they do have an expiry. What I understood is that the position was opened and then instantly closed which shouldn't happen. But there is an expiry and if that's when it closed it's correct. 

@AbsurdK did you check the expiry before it opened. If not you can find it in the get info section next time. 

All the best 

As I understand it, after a bit of googling, the wheel option strategies that @AbsurdK is experimenting with depend on taking delivery of the underlying when the option expires. Google tells me "The process starts with selling a put. After selling the initial put, the put either expires or is assigned. If it expires, they keep the premium. If they are assigned, they take ownership of 100 shares."

I believe that this would work with single stock options, but index options are generally cash settled - in other words there isn't an underlying that you can "take ownership of". As far as I can see the only options on indices which are different are on the S&P, where you have the choice between SPX options (settled in cash since the underlying asset itself is not traded) and SPY options which are settled in shares since the underlying asset itself is traded on the exchange.

Thank goodness for demo accounts to experiment with, so that we can try to get our heads round all these details before putting real money at risk. 😀

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • It would be difficult and the next line of action would be withdrawal of assets to a good alternative exchange or wallet and observe how the whole drama will end 
    • The recent turbulence in the market has resulted in significant losses and liquidations for many traders. While futures trading offers the potential for rapid portfolio growth, it also carries considerable risks, demanding both bravery and a strong belief in technical analysis (TA). However, despite my attempts, futures trading hasn't been my strong suit. Creating a resilient crypto portfolio doesn't necessarily mean diving into high-risk ventures like futures trading. It took me some time to realize that there are alternative, nearly risk-free methods to build a solid portfolio. Yet, the allure of quick profits in crypto often overshadows the patience required for these strategies. Whether you're involved in futures or spot trading, the market's unpredictability can lead to significant losses, as demonstrated by the recent downturn affecting BTC and most altcoins. Many traders found themselves unprepared, lacking sufficient USDT reserves for dollar-cost averaging (DCA) during market recoveries. Nevertheless, there is hope. For those looking to maximize profits while minimizing risks, products such as launchpools, launchpads, or PoolX offer promising opportunities. Available on various top centralized exchanges (CEX), these platforms involve staking assets like USDT, BGB, BNB, or OKB, depending on the exchange. One observation I've noted is that whenever an exchange announces a launchpool or launchpad event, the value of the exchange token tends to soar. This surge is fueled by users eager to participate and earn complimentary tokens. Following the event, participants can benefit from both the acquired tokens and the increased value of the exchange token. This approach has proven successful for me, as evidenced by the recent ENA launchpool event on Bitget. Have you explored similar opportunities in the past? Please feel free to share your experiences.
×
×
  • Create New...
us