Jump to content

Trades closing way before stop loss


Recommended Posts

My trades keep closing way before my stop loss and I can't seem to figure out why. I'm aware of slippage and spreads but some of them still don't make sense. Today I set a an order to sell at 1.37611 with a stop loss at 1.3766 and limit of 13749. The price filled my order and then moved down towards limit, came back up to 1.37607 where it apparently hit my stop loss and closed the trade. Price then went down far below my limit so should have been a good trade.

Basically my trade closed while it was in profit, saying it was at the stop loss.

Please can somebody help is there any way I can change the settings to make the trades more accurate as I can't seem to get the system to work, even close, to correctly.

Thanks

Edited by ryanair737
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, ryanair737 said:

My trades keep closing way before my stop loss and I can't seem to figure out why. I'm aware of slippage and spreads but some of them still don't make sense. Today I set a an order to sell at 1.37611 with a stop loss at 1.3766 and limit of 13749. The price filled my order and then moved down towards limit, came back up to 1.37607 where it apparently hit my stop loss and closed the trade. Price then went down far below my limit so should have been a good trade.

Basically my trade closed while it was in profit, saying it was at the stop loss.

Please can somebody help is there any way I can change the settings to make the trades more accurate as I can't seem to get the system to work, even close, to correctly.

Thanks

Hi, which market?

Link to comment

I suspect I might have been caught by a similar thing once or twice, so I'm interested in investigating this using the chart.

I assume this is GBP/USD.  What time did it open and close?  As accurately as possible, please.  To the second would be good.

I have put a couple of my unexpected closures down to a sudden widening of the spread.  Which, of course, you have no control over.

Link to comment

During the 07:00-07:01 candle, as you say, the mid price hit a high of13762.1, which was well under your stop-loss.

However, the high bid and ask prices were 13757.1 - 13767.1 (a spread of 10), and since the ask was above your stop-loss it triggered.  Painful.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, ryanair737 said:

For example when back testing do you use the ask/bid price rather than the mid?

Yes, you should definitely use the ask/bid price when backtesting. Spreads change constantly based on market conditions, time of day etc. and can have a significant impact on the profitability of any system.

Link to comment
59 minutes ago, andysinclair said:

Yes, you should definitely use the ask/bid price when backtesting. Spreads change constantly based on market conditions, time of day etc. and can have a significant impact on the profitability of any system.

I'm trying to work out the best way to do this. Do I need to keep toggling between the bid/ask price view as I'm backtesting to see where my buy in, stop loss and limits would be hit. Or is there another way to factor it in? I'm guessing as it keeps changing I can't just add/subtract a certain amount of pips.

Thanks

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, ryanair737 said:

I'm trying to work out the best way to do this. Do I need to keep toggling between the bid/ask price view as I'm backtesting to see where my buy in, stop loss and limits would be hit. Or is there another way to factor it in? I'm guessing as it keeps changing I can't just add/subtract a certain amount of pips.

Thanks

yes you do have a problem there, IG operate a variable spread system and though that has several advantages for traders it makes for problems eg backtesting. 

You might try just testing during main market hours and avoid the higher set spreads outside main hours but still will have a problem with periods of volatility.

Another possible aid is that though the web based platform doesn't have the function to display both bid and ask at the same time the Prorealtime and the mt4 platforms do.

Might be worth looking at mt4 just for backtesting as it also auto records test data.

Link to comment

Your main problem is your strategy.. the risk reward is fine as it looks like 2:1. But the gap between your stop is limit is tiny, it’s 0.12%. That means your stop is about 0.04% from your entry and limit is 0.08% from entry. You’re going to struggle to get any consistency with that.. market can move up and down and touch the stop too easily, it needs to be wider. By the same token, you can easily get big winners than 0.08% so you need to widen both.

I’d look at something like average true range and see what’s the expected size of the moves then determine profit targets from that and set stops in proportion to that and in appropriate areas.

Even if there was no spread it would be a struggle. But as you’ve found out it makes a difference.. the spread is more noticeable the tighter your trading range is

Link to comment
20 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

yes you do have a problem there, IG operate a variable spread system and though that has several advantages for traders it makes for problems eg backtesting. 

You might try just testing during main market hours and avoid the higher set spreads outside main hours but still will have a problem with periods of volatility.

Another possible aid is that though the web based platform doesn't have the function to display both bid and ask at the same time the Prorealtime and the mt4 platforms do.

Might be worth looking at mt4 just for backtesting as it also auto records test data.

Sweet I didn't know mt4 was better for backtesting. I'm gonna give that a shot. Thanks

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

if you need any help setting it up just sing out.

This may be a really stupid question.. When shorting would my limit be hit at the bid price and stop hit at ask price? Vice versa for long positions. Or is it when shorting, both my stop and limit will be hit at ask price and long positions would both be hit at bid price?

Thanks!

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, ryanair737 said:

This may be a really stupid question.. When shorting would my limit be hit at the bid price and stop hit at ask price? Vice versa for long positions. Or is it when shorting, both my stop and limit will be hit at ask price and long positions would both be hit at bid price?

Thanks!

it is a bit twisted;

to get into a trade you buy the ask or sell the bid.

For shorts -  the bid price must hit your order to trigger the short entry.

 - to get out of your short trade you do the opposite, you need to buy back your sell position so you buy at the ask price so the ask price must hit your stop loss or take profit target.

 

(And for longs it's the opposite way round).

 

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

it is a bit twisted;

to get into a trade you buy the ask or sell the bid.

For shorts -  the bid price must hit your order to trigger the short entry.

 - to get out of your short trade you do the opposite, you need to buy back your sell position so you buy at the ask price so the ask price must hit your stop loss or take profit target.

 

(And for longs it's the opposite way round).

 

Got it, thank you!

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge Daily Chart, 4 March 24, Dogecoin/ U.S. dollar(DOGEUSD) DOGEUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow Trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave III Direction Next higher Degrees: Wave (I) of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: 0.0770 Details: Wave III is Equal to 161.8% of Wave I at 0.1575 Dogecoin/ U.S. dollar(DOGEUSD)Trading Strategy: Dogecoin has entered a full-blown uptrend. Which is currently an increase of Wave III with a chance to test the level of 0.1575. Therefore, Dogecoin overall is in an uptrend. And there is still a chance to increase continuously. Dogecoin/ U.S. dollar(DOGEUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating an Uptrend, Wave Oscillator is a bullish Momentum. TradingLounge Analyst: Kittiampon Somboonsod, CEWA Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!         Elliott Wave Analysis TradingLounge 4Hr Chart, 4 March 24, Dogecoin/ U.S. dollar(DOGEUSD) DOGEUSD Elliott Wave Technical Analysis Function: Follow Trend Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave III Direction Next higher Degrees: Wave (I) of Impulse Wave Cancel invalid Level: 0.0770 Details: Wave III is Equal to 161.8% of Wave I at 0.1575 Dogecoin/ U.S. dollar(DOGEUSD)Trading Strategy: Dogecoin has entered a full-blown uptrend. Which is currently an increase of Wave III with a chance to test the level of 0.1575. Therefore, Dogecoin overall is in an uptrend. And there is still a chance to increase continuously. Dogecoin/ U.S. dollar(DOGEUSD)Technical Indicators: The price is above the MA200 indicating an Uptrend, Wave Oscillator is a bullish Momentum.    
    • Crypto trading is a bit complicated when it comes to understanding the dynamics in profit making. Some people are more inclined to technical analysis which of course has been the widely used trading tool but some are more inclined to fundamentals but sticking to fundamentals alone could be highly risky in my own opinion even though crypto is also financial instrument that often respond to news updates.  A blend of the two could provide a safety net for traders in minimizing losses compared to potential profit. The above case scenario is largely attributed to perp futures trading and other derivatives. TA and FA could also be very useful for spot trading but I feel timely listing of projects could largely determine one's profit from investing in a project. These may not be for all projects cos some are **** coins. This could be a personal perspective but I have noticed listing speed is also another important factor to consider along with project fundamentals when trading and if we are to include listing speed as a factor for choosing trade then it will affect our choice of trading platform cos some are more inclined to top cap projects while others are more inclined low cap gems.   My experience with ORDI has proven this trading skill rewarding. ORDI was first listed on Bitget before other exchange joined the listing party after it saw rapid adoption reflecting in it significant MCap growth. This chart should give us a glimpse of my experience with this strategy.
    • In a stunning display of market momentum, the PANDORA token, the first of its kind, has skyrocketed an astonishing 4872% from its introduction on February 2nd to February 7th. This remarkable performance has not only caught the attention of cryptocurrency enthusiasts but has also solidified PANDORA’s position as a groundbreaking asset in the digital currency landscape. Pandora's ERC-404 protocol revolutionizes the token landscape by seamlessly blending the qualities of ERC20 and ERC721 standards. This experimental mixed implementation enables persistent liquidity and non-fungibility for NFTs, unlocking a realm of possibilities previously unexplored. Adding to the excitement, Bitget Wallet is gearing up to introduce a specialized section dedicated to ERC-404 token market listings. This feature creates a hub for tokens that blend the best of both worlds—the liquidity of ERC-20s and the uniqueness of ERC-721 NFTs. I have come to believe that, the electrifying surge of PANDORA token and the innovative ERC-404 standard is not just a fleeting trend but a window into the future of cryptocurrency.
×
×
  • Create New...
us