Jump to content
  • 0

AT&T and Warner Bros. Discovery merger in April 2022


ChristianJS

Question

Hi IG Team,

I would like to ask about the 3 shares of Warner Bros. Discovery that's in my account with average price of zero. I did some research and found that AT&T and Warner Bros. did a merger in April 2022 but I'm just confused as to why I now have 3 shares of Warner Bros. (with book cost of $0 and average price of $0). The 16 shares of AT&T is still in my account as before. 

Link to comment

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hi @ChristianJS

I believe the below screenshot were the terms of the event:

Therefore you should receive 0.241917 shares in WBD for each AT&T share that you own. You still continue to keep your AT&T holdings. Book cost and average price will be zero as you had not paid for the shares. 

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/11/the-warner-bros-discovery-deal-has-officially-closed/

All the best, 

Anda

 

image.png

Link to comment
  • 0
14 hours ago, AndaIG said:

Hi @ChristianJS

I believe the below screenshot were the terms of the event:

Therefore you should receive 0.241917 shares in WBD for each AT&T share that you own. You still continue to keep your AT&T holdings. Book cost and average price will be zero as you had not paid for the shares. 

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/11/the-warner-bros-discovery-deal-has-officially-closed/

All the best, 

Anda

 

image.png

Hi Anda,

Thank you for your response. It makes sense that I received 3 shares of WBD as I have 16 shares of AT&T (and still do) but what does the 3 shares of WBD mean as they have zero book cost/average price? Am I right in saying that the 3 shares of WBD in my account has no value since I didn't purchase them? In that case, how do I remove the 3 shares of WBD from my account (since I still have my AT&T shares)?

Link to comment
  • 0
3 hours ago, ChristianJS said:

Hi Anda,

Thank you for your response. It makes sense that I received 3 shares of WBD as I have 16 shares of AT&T (and still do) but what does the 3 shares of WBD mean as they have zero book cost/average price? Am I right in saying that the 3 shares of WBD in my account has no value since I didn't purchase them? In that case, how do I remove the 3 shares of WBD from my account (since I still have my AT&T shares)?

Hi @ChristianJS,

On the system the Corporate action team need to sell and buy stock at the price of 0 to go through. 

You will need to edit your book cost for the P/L to display correctly.

you can find the steps on how to edit your book cost here:
https://www.ig.com/au/help-and-support/investments/share-trading/how-do-i-edit-my-book-cost

I hope that it helps !

All the best - Arvin

Link to comment
  • 0
3 minutes ago, ArvinIG said:

Hi @ChristianJS,

On the system the Corporate action team need to sell and buy stock at the price of 0 to go through. 

You will need to edit your book cost for the P/L to display correctly.

you can find the steps on how to edit your book cost here:
https://www.ig.com/au/help-and-support/investments/share-trading/how-do-i-edit-my-book-cost

I hope that it helps !

All the best - Arvin

Hi Arvin, I followed the above steps and when I set the book cost to zero, it tells me to enter a valid book cost and it is not allowing me to save it.

Link to comment
  • 0
51 minutes ago, ChristianJS said:

Hi Arvin, I followed the above steps and when I set the book cost to zero, it tells me to enter a valid book cost and it is not allowing me to save it.

Hi @ChristianJS,

Apologies for the confusion, you will need to set the book cost to the price you initially paid the stock. If you initially paid USD 100 for the stocks for example, you will need to set the book cost at 100.

Thank you - Arvin

Link to comment
  • 0
Just now, ArvinIG said:

Hi @ChristianJS,

Apologies for the confusion, you will need to set the book cost to the price you initially paid the stock. If you initially paid USD 100 for the stocks for example, you will need to set the book cost at 100.

Thank you - Arvin

Hi Arvin, no worries. However, as mentioned in previous posts by Anda, I did not pay for the shares as they were 'received' due to the merger in April. So in that case, wouldn't the book cost be zero? But it is not letting me set this number when I try to edit it.

Link to comment
  • 0

Hi @ChristianJS

Apologies for the confusion, 

Yes the book cost is correct to reflect as zero as you did not pay for them. However they do have a market value as they are currently trading on exchange. Thus when you do decide to sell them your profit will be 3 x market price at the time i.e. they are not worthless. Market price is $14.22 per share at the moment.  

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

All the best, 

Anda

Link to comment
  • 0
1 minute ago, AndaIG said:

Hi @ChristianJS

Apologies for the confusion, 

Yes the book cost is correct to reflect as zero as you did not pay for them. However they do have a market value as they are currently trading on exchange. Thus when you do decide to sell them your profit will be 3 x market price at the time i.e. they are not worthless. Market price is $14.22 at the moment.  

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

All the best, 

Anda

Thanks Anda,  just to clarify, I have 3 shares of WBD with zero book cost in my account (since I did not pay nor purchase them) - is this equivalent to saying I don't own any WBD shares? 

How could I get rid of the 3 WBD shares in my account since I didn't purchase them at all?

Link to comment
  • 0
1 minute ago, AndaIG said:

Hi @ChristianJS

You own the shares in WBD even though you did not pay for them. You received the shares as a benefit due to your holding in AT&T. If you would like to get rid of the shares you can simply sell them on the platform as you would with any other share. 

All the best, 

Anda

I see, so when the market opens I would be able to sell them even with zero book cost and for $0 profit/loss?

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • Just recently, I wrote an article about how a Solana blockchain art project (Artrade) is helping artists raise their earnings and even further transforming their physical works into RWA essentially NFTs. With that in mind, I came across Rarible, a marketplace that focuses on digital art and NFTs and the similarities of the platforms caught my attention. Rarible allows artists to sell their creations as NFTs, essentially digital certificates of ownership and cuts out middlemen, connecting artists directly with buyers. Beyond trading, Rarible offers a somewhat user-friendly interface for creating NFTs, even for beginners.   The platform unlike Artrade is built on the Ethereum blockchain and uses its own token, RARI, for governance and rewarding active users. In the long term they seem building with the goal of becoming a DAO in the future While it’s still early days, I have no doubt Rarible offers a unique approach to buying, selling, and creating digital art, and the recent listing on Bitget will further expose it to new communities and potential investors.     Do you think RARI's approach will be sustainable as a marketplace for NFTs?
    • Soybeans Elliott Wave Analysis  Function - Trend  Mode - Impulse  Structure - Impulse for (5)  Position - Wave 1 of (5) Direction - Wave 2 of (5) Details - Wave 1 of (5) completing with a diagonal. Wave 2 bounce is emerging before the price turns downside for 3 of (5). Invalidation now at 1226’6. Not much has changed since the last update.   Soybean Price Analysis: Elliott Wave Perspective Signals Continued Downward Trend   In the realm of commodity trading, Soybean has recently undergone a significant downturn, marking a nearly 7% drop since March 21st. This decline appears to be part of a broader trend that commenced back in June 2022. However, before this recent descent, there was a brief period of respite characterized by a corrective bounce starting in late February.    Delving deeper into the price action, an Elliott Wave analysis sheds light on the intricacies of Soybean's movement. The daily chart's decline since June 2022 reveals a corrective pattern, delineated into waves A-B-C, as denoted by blue annotations.   The initial wave, labeled as Blue Wave 'A', terminated at 1249 in October 2023, exhibiting a distinct diagonal pattern. Subsequently, a modest rebound ensued, marked by Blue Wave 'B', which concluded at 1398 in November 2023. However, the ascendancy was short-lived as the bears regained control, manifesting in the ongoing development of Blue Wave 'C'. This wave, evolving into an impulse wave, has currently progressed to wave (5) following the completion of wave (4) in March 2024.   Zooming in on the H4 chart, a granular analysis reveals the sub-waves of wave (5). Wave 1 of (5) concluded with a diagonal structure, followed by a corrective phase as the price undergoes a temporary upside correction to complete wave 2. Despite uncertainties regarding whether wave 2 has fully concluded or will undergo another upward leg, the overarching trajectory remains clear – a downward break is anticipated to continue wave 3 of (5), leading to further downside movement.   In light of this analysis, the prevailing sentiment favors sellers, who continue to assert dominance over the commodity market. As long as the price remains below 1226’6, the outlook remains skewed towards further downside potential, with the possibility of reaching the lowest price point since November 2020.   In conclusion, the Elliott Wave perspective offers valuable insights into Soybean's price dynamics, signaling a continued bearish trajectory in the near term. While short-term fluctuations may occur, the broader trend suggests that sellers are likely to maintain control, shaping the commodity's price action in the foreseeable future.   Technical Analyst : Sanmi Adeagbo   Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!        
×
×
  • Create New...
us