Sign in to follow this  

Volume on MT4

Question

There is a problem with the volume bars on the MT4 FTSE chart. The 8:00 am opening bar is always a green spike bar, never red (even on a large red candle).

The new platform shows a red bar when appropriate as in the pic of today's 15 min chart.

Also note missing 16:30 spike from the MT4, so the main problem is on market open and close bars.

The feed must be different because the values and colours differ for many of the bars, but the opening bar being always green is a trap for the unwary. Any chance of a fix? 

mt41.PNG

3 answers to this question

Hi   Similar volume bar problem on the BTCUSD. It's almost as if the colour of volume bar on MT4 is just random, as well as the values being different.

New platform and MT4 charts comparison.

vol1.PNG

Hi ,

The volume bars on our web trading platform uses the color of the corresponding price candle so if the price candle is red the volume bar will be red. In MT4 the volume bar color is determined by whether the previous bar was higher or lower, if the previous bar was higher then the next bar will be red.

The values differing between MT4 and the IG platform could be due to a delayed feed,  on Mt4 it would not be as quick to update as it would be on our web platform. Do you generally experience a difference in the amount on the last candle only?

Thanks

Anton

Hi ,  thanks for the reply, the reason for the colour diff is useful to know.

On the daily chart the value difference is less pronounced and occasional such as 14 bars back one platform has a small red while the other has a med green. In the 15 min FTSE pic (first post) the historic values are very different throughout the day and the week.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    i25dotus
    Joined 30/09/20 02:17
    • TGA approved today!!! BOOM
    • For me your stop is large, I use close to the minimum for the market. But I think same applies. I think basically I like tight stops because you can't lose too much but when you win hopefully you win big relative to that. I've been using a 4:1 reward/risk ratio for example.  When I started out I thought the likelihood of pulling this off given how close the stop was to entry was unlikely but actually it does happen fairly often. The issue I have is that I average a win every 4 trades so essentially make nothing in the end but that's just my mean, I have a massive standard deviation that I need to get way down i.e. increase win rate if possible before this is useful. So for me I think I need better timing signals to enter and I enter too readily without really using indicators to help me. To be honest though what I've found which might be obvious to most is that if the market trends for a period of time it's much easier to make money. When it isn't it's very difficult, the problem is you often don't know when it's not trending to a large enough degree until you're in it and then you need to know to take some time and return later. Like sailing with a strong wind and then all of a sudden it's doldrums.