Discrepancy between IG MT4 and Online platform

Guest RWw

Question

Hello!

So I was looking through the charts the other day and noticed something a bit odd. Well actually that IG MT4 platform is showing faulty price action. Something quite different from the Online platform but also other brokers.

The screenshot attached shows IG MT4, IG Online Platform and IC Markets MT4. In that order.

I added the trend line, in black, to highlight even further how the prices and candles don't add up. Notice how the trend line only touches two highs in IG MT4 but on the online platform it touches three tops and does so also in IC Markets MT4.

To highlight further the part where the price action is wrong in IG MT4 I added a red square in IG MT4 chart and a blue square in the charts where the price action is the same(which is also the correct one).

What is going on and how often does this happen?

mt4_IG_online_platform_IC.JPG

7 answers to this question

Hi @RWw, what you are highlighting is the difference between demo and live and weekend. Demo is not a mirror of live, it has it's own separate feed. Demo is a test bed for technicians that brokers allow clients to use to practice on, weekend is a derivative add on incorporating futures pricing and so not comparable to live or demo. Below are the screen shots for the same period for the web based platform live and mt4 live, and they are identical.   

image.thumb.png.efc3e80f7557f5024de2984984e77509.png

So, just to see if I understand this correctly. Here is a chart attached from my live CFD account with us30 cash and not weekend. Just to be extra clear this is an actual account where I can make trades with real money. Notice anything different from the previously posted chart? granted the previous one was weekend but this one isn't. Blue box for added focus.

So are you telling me my real account on the online platform is getting a data feed with demo data?

ig online platform wallstreet cash live.JPG

Hi @RWw,  ok, so to clarify, in your IG cfd web based platform chart pic above all the Sunday bars are missing, same in your IC Markets mt4 but not in the IG mt4 (first post).

So the difference is presumably related to being on European time zone where IG web based platform and IC Markets mt4 leave out the Sunday bar but the IG mt4 platform does not.

The pic below is from my cfd web platform (demo) UK time zone that have the Sunday bars included.

image.thumb.png.0f98ba50f02da6765e432b0cc2f97108.png

Hello!

Yeah that explains the Sunday bars missing, which I have no issue with. I don't necessarily agree with it working one way in MT4 and another with the web based platform but those are minor issues, kind of.

The Issue I have is the candles on 20181206 and 20181205. In MT4 it is a big red candle and then a green huge bullish Pinbar, but in Web platform(no matter what account I'm using be it CFD, Metatrader or Demo) it is a small green candle and then a huge red candle. How a Sunday candle affects Wednesdays(2011205) and Thursdays(20181206) candle is beyond me. It really shouldn't, unless looking at a higher time frame than daily of course but these charts are Daily. 

Turns out you are correct @Caseynotes. I finally had some time away from work and got in touch with a tech support and mt4 has it's cutoff point basically at midnight while Web version does it at close of NYSE. That is also what the charts show when looking at the 1H. e.g. The Huqwei CFO got arrested after NYSE had closed but not before MT4 had it's cutoff point for the daily candle. Hence the different candles.

Thanks for taking the time!

Archived