crazy fees

bkhan

Question

I have been investing in for exactly 18 months i am 27 years of age. 

today i wanted to see how well i have done over the past 18 months. I knew i didn't do too well as id hoped as in the beginning i brought high sold low, nevertheless i got a grip of my emotions, so today i checked my portfolio value it was up by 7% however the fees i had accrued over the past 18 months was 9%  of my account value so i am minus 2% overall.

can someone help me out here, what am i doing wrong? any comments would be appreciated 

2 answers to this question

On 22/10/2019 at 20:34, bkhan said:

I have been investing in for exactly 18 months i am 27 years of age. 

today i wanted to see how well i have done over the past 18 months. I knew i didn't do too well as id hoped as in the beginning i brought high sold low, nevertheless i got a grip of my emotions, so today i checked my portfolio value it was up by 7% however the fees i had accrued over the past 18 months was 9%  of my account value so i am minus 2% overall.

can someone help me out here, what am i doing wrong? any comments would be appreciated 

Hey @bkhan

I hope you're well. I would advise contacting our help desk. Depending on what you're trading and how long you're holding them for they may be able to help you pick more cost beneficial products or show you ways to make your profit/ loss clearer. 

For example if you're trading on a share dealing account they can incorporate the fees into your booking cost meaning when you sell your shares the profit/ loss will be more accurate. 

If you're trading on a leveraged account they will be able to determine after which date that the forward/ futures contract would be more cost effective for you. 

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.