Question

Posted (edited)

I seem to be unable to open an MT4 account. When I click on "add an account" the only option is "CFD trading" which is basically opening a second account. Can you explain me what I am doing wrong?

Edited by ErikF

16 answers to this question

Me too! same problem.  Have downloaded the IGMetaTrader  MT4. But need a MT4 account, not my normal spread bet account.  Help page said, its easy, just click on add MT4 account but no option.  

9 minutes ago, johndala said:

Me too! same problem.  Have downloaded the IGMetaTrader  MT4. But need a MT4 account, not my normal spread bet account.  Help page said, its easy, just click on add MT4 account but no option.  

Should be a 'add an account option' tab to click in your 'My IG' web page dashboard which displays the pop up below;

image.thumb.png.d74798e3133370b5bb5e5def2f6aa07b.png

Guest mohamed

I have same problem to add mt4 account. I got windows says due to technical issue ur app cant be completed

15 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Should be a 'add an account option' tab to click in your 'My IG' web page dashboard which displays the pop up below;

image.thumb.png.d74798e3133370b5bb5e5def2f6aa07b.png

Hello, all I get are CFD, ISA, IG Smart Portfolio and share dealings.  No more? 

7 minutes ago, johndala said:

Hello, all I get are CFD, ISA, IG Smart Portfolio and share dealings.  No more? 

ok, do you have a special account type at the moment eg a European account? Leveraged? non-leveraged?

3 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

ok, do you have a special account type at the moment eg a European account? Leveraged? non-leveraged?

Right, Ive got a "normal" spread betting account.  Had one for a few years and spread bet  PLC companies. That's all I use it for.  I'm from England.

5 minutes ago, johndala said:

Right, Ive got a "normal" spread betting account.  Had one for a few years and spread bet  PLC companies. That's all I use it for.  I'm from England.

ok, if you already have a leveraged account (SB) then the other leveraged options should appear as per my snap.

The only other thing I can only think there is a technical problem with your 'My IG' dashboard and would email IG explaining the lack of options and request a technician check it out.

note that mt4 doesn't have shares on the platform, mt5 does but we are still waiting for that.

• Like 1

I have solved the issue now. Apparently IG needs you to do two trades over the phone with them (!!!!) to start trading. Purpose of this being them giving you a warning about the risks of CFD trading. Once I did the two trades all was well and I was able to add MT4. I am based in Spain so I don’t know if this requirement goes for other countries as well.

• Thought provoking 2

1 minute ago, Caseynotes said:

ok, if you already have a leveraged account (SB) then the other leveraged options should appear as per my snap.

The only other thing I can only think there is a technical problem with your 'My IG' dashboard and would email IG explaining the lack of options and request a technician check it out.

note that mt4 doesn't have shares on the platform, mt5 does but we are still waiting for that.

Thanks so much , I have messaged them but with everything going on I thought it would be a while before they got back to me.  And I wanted MT4 for another type of trading I'm trying out, but thanks for the info.

5 minutes ago, ErikF said:

I have solved the issue now. Apparently IG needs you to do two trades over the phone with them (!!!!) to start trading. Purpose of this being them giving you a warning about the risks of CFD trading. Once I did the two trades all was well and I was able to add MT4. I am based in Spain so I don’t know if this requirement goes for other countries as well.

WoW!  I never knew that!  Yet I'm already trading successfully.  Thank you again, I'll give them a call and moan :)Great help! 

Edited by johndala

1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

That must be it for me as I'm all fine with my account.  Once I know what went wrong my end I'll post here.

19 hours ago, johndala said:

I am having same problem. I do have option demo but when i am trying to open real account the only option i have its MT4 and CFD.

I have emailed and they (IG) told me that IG dosnt have option account... have no idea what is going on

18 hours ago, valery said:

I am having same problem. I do have option demo but when i am trying to open real account the only option i have its MT4 and CFD.

I have emailed and they (IG) told me that IG dosnt have option account... have no idea what is going on

I think my problem is different to yours, but there does seem to be something amiss :) ?  Been waiting for 2 days now for IG to get back to me.  But, in light of what's happening I think I can  give them some slack.

On 27/03/2020 at 09:05, Caseynotes said:

Just thought Id post an update.  IG clearly never read all my messages I sent them.  All they done was send me a screen shot, same as yours....said it was easy!  Finally, after a week I get a mail just now telling me I have to manually fill in a  APPLICATION TO OPEN A METATRADER 4 ACCOUNT?  Then have to sign and email back.  Very bad service me thinks.  

2 minutes ago, johndala said:

Just thought Id post an update.  IG clearly never read all my messages I sent them.  All they done was send me a screen shot, same as yours....said it was easy!  Finally, after a week I get a mail just now telling me I have to manually fill in a  APPLICATION TO OPEN A METATRADER 4 ACCOUNT?  Then have to sign and email back.  Very bad service me thinks.  

ok, thanks for getting back.