Jump to content
  • 0

STOP LOSSES


M0ntes0l

Question

I apologise if this is covered elsewhere, I have tried searching.

Today I placed a long spread bet on the Dow at 23,434 and set a generous 200 point (actually 209) stop loss at 23,225. The trade at one time was up 75 but from there it ran down close to the stop loss. By chance, the lowest point according to the chart was 23,226 but the stop loss was triggered and I suffered a 209 point loss. Since then the market has recovered and I would now be about 200 points ahead. I appreciate the market is choppy at the moment but when is a stop a stop? Might it have been triggered at 23,227 or 23,230?

,

Link to comment

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
16 minutes ago, M0ntes0l said:

I apologise if this is covered elsewhere, I have tried searching.

Today I placed a long spread bet on the Dow at 23,434 and set a generous 200 point (actually 209) stop loss at 23,225. The trade at one time was up 75 but from there it ran down close to the stop loss. By chance, the lowest point according to the chart was 23,226 but the stop loss was triggered and I suffered a 209 point loss. Since then the market has recovered and I would now be about 200 points ahead. I appreciate the market is choppy at the moment but when is a stop a stop? Might it have been triggered at 23,227 or 23,230?

,

Hi, yes very unfortunate. To open a long position you need to pay the Ask price and to get out of the position you take the Bid price, presuming you have left your chart price on the default Mid it would not show that the Bid price reached a low of 23224.2 during the 3pm hourly candle which was just enough to trigger your stop.

If you go to the chart, right click and select 'Price' then toggle between Ask and Bid the low will shift up and down by the amount of the spread at the time. 

image.thumb.png.faa2ec60922c73825dfd56925bb801cd.png 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
9 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, yes very unfortunate. To open a long position you need to pay the Ask price and to get out of the position you take the Bid price, presuming you have left your chart price on the default Mid it would not show that the Bid price reached a low of 23224.2 during the 3pm hourly candle which was just enough to trigger your stop.

If you go to the chart, right click and select 'Price' then toggle between Ask and Bid the low will shift up and down by the amount of the spread at the time. 

image.thumb.png.faa2ec60922c73825dfd56925bb801cd.png 

Thank you Caseynotes, that is clear and adds to my sum of knowledge. Twice I have been stopped out by a point or two in the last week, very frustrating, but your explanation is very helpful thank you

 

Link to comment
  • 0

It's me again. Last week I placed a buy on Pfizer with a very generous stop down to 3671 allowing for their results this week. This morning I have been stopped out with that price being quoted as the exact low, yet when I look at the chart and adjust the price to ask as you suggest, it doesn't get anywhere close to that low. I am another £200 down and it is the fourth time in a month when I have been stopped out with the price just nudging my stop then recovering. Whilst not appearing paranoid on a Monday morning, that seems more than unlucky

Link to comment
  • 0
7 minutes ago, M0ntes0l said:

It's me again. Last week I placed a buy on Pfizer with a very generous stop down to 3671 allowing for their results this week. This morning I have been stopped out with that price being quoted as the exact low, yet when I look at the chart and adjust the price to ask as you suggest, it doesn't get anywhere close to that low. I am another £200 down and it is the fourth time in a month when I have been stopped out with the price just nudging my stop then recovering. Whilst not appearing paranoid on a Monday morning, that seems more than unlucky

Hi, the exit of a long is at the bid price (not ask), you need to check again.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      20,011
    • Total Posts
      88,000
    • Total Members
      69,003
    • Most Online
      7,522
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    z22p1r72
    Joined 27/09/22 10:38
  • Posts

    • thanks for the quick response! Could you also add the following please: Name of stock: iShares Core Global Aggregate Bond UCITS ETF Name of Stock Exchange: LSE Leverage or Share dealing: Share Dealing (ISA) Ticker: SAGG Country of the stock: UK   Name of stock: L&G ESG GBP Corporate Bond UCITS ETF Name of Stock Exchange: LSE Leverage or Share dealing: Share Dealing (ISA) Ticker: GBPC Country of the stock: UK   Thanks for all your help! Alex
    • Gold to drop 45% from the last record high?    If the pattern that gold followed in the wake of the financial crisis is repeated it will drop 45% from the last record high.          
    • If the pattern that gold followed in the wake of the financial crisis is repeated (and it’s echoing remarkably so far) it will drop 45% from the last record high. IGTV’s Jeremy Naylor follows up on the developments so far. gold
×
×
  • Create New...