Does IG register my purchase on shares register?

I am fairly new to this, so please excuse my ignorance on the matter. I purchased some shares in FAR Limited  in Dec 2018, but did not get any voting papers for the company AGM in May 20019. I now wish to vote in this years AGM, but it appears I am not on the company register. When purchasing shares online through IG, is it IG that registers my purchase on the company shares register?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, gcarter said:

I am fairly new to this, so please excuse my ignorance on the matter. I purchased some shares in FAR Limited  in Dec 2018, but did not get any voting papers for the company AGM in May 20019. I now wish to vote in this years AGM, but it appears I am not on the company register. When purchasing shares online through IG, is it IG that registers my purchase on the company shares register?

Hi, not sure you can, hopefully someone from IG can clarify but IG use the Custodian Model. See more here;

https://www.ig.com/en/glossary-trading-terms/custodian-definition

image.png.5729aef2a3f2f0ff0b3f1b0bf52f9af8.png

image.png.b0ed2539436d9ab94c0e1656e8a87f94.png

Edited by Caseynotes

Posted (edited)

They can also force you to sell your shares, e.g. customers who owned cannabis stocks last year.  Be aware that your property is not always your property.

Edited by dmedin

On 23/04/2020 at 09:43, Caseynotes said:

Hi, not sure you can, hopefully someone from IG can clarify but IG use the Custodian Model. See more here;

https://www.ig.com/en/glossary-trading-terms/custodian-definition

image.png.5729aef2a3f2f0ff0b3f1b0bf52f9af8.png

image.png.b0ed2539436d9ab94c0e1656e8a87f94.png

I was hoping to vote at the company AGM. but it appears that this is not possible from the answer you have given as the shares are not registered with the company under my name.

14 minutes ago, gcarter said:

I was hoping to vote at the company AGM. but it appears that this is not possible from the answer you have given as the shares are not registered with the company under my name.

correct but with the shares being digital at least they are easily got shot of if that AGM doesn't go well 🙂

• Great! 1