Run Multiple MT4 IG Terminals

Short video on how to set up and run multiple (any broker) MT4 platforms on the one computer.

Have multiple running at once or sitting on the desktop ready to start up any time.

Instead of switching back and forward between live and demo have both up at the same time.

If running slow due to large number of charts and indicators spread the load over 2 platforms running at the same time.

• Like 2

not sure if the video makes it clear or not but if you already have mt4 installed then the first step is to rename it's desktop icon. 

So the IG MT4 icon rename to MT4 1 and after second install rename that new desktop icon MT4 2, repeat for as many terminals as you want.

If you don't rename the original icon the second install will use it and shunt the first install off. 

There is another option that is a common trick that we use in IT. The command "Run As". Assuming that you are using Windows, an icon is essentially a command link, so you can run it as another user.

If you create multiple users under the accounts section in settings then you can select them to run any program.

The way to do it is by holding SHIFT and Mouse Right click at the same time on the icon.

Then provide the credentials and you will have a separate session that will allow you to run MT4 in separate accounts. It should work with any program, not only with MT4

image.png.605b65cb17dc40ef31a1ce6cf832ed1b.png

Edited by jlz
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@jlz Thanks, at the mo I'm running 2 terminals on the same screen because I've got an indicator that's very resource heavy and slows mt4 if I add it to more than 1 Renko chart.

Poor mt4 it's biggest problem is it's success, so many indicators written specifically for it no one wants to give it up but it was written for a single core cpu and can't make proper use of modern chips.

Edited by Caseynotes
26 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

@jlz Thanks, at the mo I'm running 2 terminals on the same screen because I've got an indicator that's very resource heavy and slows mt4 if I add it to more than 1 Renko chart.

Poor mt4 it's biggest problem is it's success, so many indicators written specifically for it no one wants to give it up but it was written for a single core cpu and can't make proper use of modern chips.

This post claims to have a solution for it.

https://www.mt4copier.com/improve-mt4-trade-copier-speed/

I haven't tried it myself but it seems that you can assign different cores to different terminals.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, jlz said:

This post claims to have a solution for it.

https://www.mt4copier.com/improve-mt4-trade-copier-speed/

I haven't tried it myself but it seems that you can assign different cores to different terminals.

something like that seems to happen anyway when using multiple terminals, I've had 3 terminals running at once with no slow down issues at all whereas if I had put everything on 1 terminal it would definitely be struggling.

It's not normally a problem and a single terminal can handle 14 odd charts with multiple indicators on each but making Renko charts and then adding complex indicators (adaptive and dynamic zone types) does cause a strain.

1 minute ago, dmedin said:

If you work in IT and you're not doing everything in PowerShell yet then you're facing redundancy in the near future :P:D 

I don't want to show off by pointing people to cmdlets. But yeah, since "Run As" is a command you can wrap it with a PowerShell script. In case anyone is interested:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.management/start-process?view=powershell-7

• Sad 1