Spreads

Davey

Question

Hi Guys I've started a spread betting account for a hobby and to learn. I have a question i hope someone can answer. When I'm trading indices or forex the spread is shown between the sell and buy positions but when i want to trade a company alone it is not. Where do i find that info so i know where i will land when i open the position? 

Thanks 

Davey

4 answers to this question

Hi , thanks for the post and welcome!

If you are trading shares on a spread betting account, you should still see a slight difference between the buy and sell prices when the underlying market is open.  Our spreads are as low as possible, and are calculated as a percentage premium.  Full details for share spreads can be found on our website here.  Perhaps you were looking at prices when the underlying market has been closed?

It's a good idea to do a few practice trades on your demo account so you can really get a feel for where your trade is executed and the movement between the buy and sell prices.

I hope this helps, but if you have any more questions please just ask!

Thanks,

Hannah

Is it possible to place a spreadbetting order inside the spread anx get it executed without waiting for the market to move accordingly. I ask as I just wondered us it always necessary to pay the advertised offer price when entering the market on the ig platform or not get filled.

Ronconomics wrote:

Is it possible to place a spreadbetting order inside the spread anx get it executed without waiting for the market to move accordingly. I ask as I just wondered us it always necessary to pay the advertised offer price when entering the market on the ig platform or not get filled.

Hi - unfortunately that wouldn't be possible because of the nature of the OTC offering of spread betting. If you wanted to deal via a CFD, and you were looking specifically at shares, then you'd be able to place your deal inside the spread and become best bid/offer, however there is no guarantee that you would be filled straight away. You can find out more about DMA share trading here https://www.ig.com/uk/shares/shares-dma