How to set time zone for charts in new platform?

Guest bn73

Question

Hi All,

Does anyone know where the new platform gets it time zone info from?

I am in Brisbane, but my charts show Sydney time which is one hour ahead of where I am.

It's not getting it from my computer clock, nor my IP location as have changed both with no effect.

I have searched the settings within MYIG and the new platform and have not found any way to correct this.

Any clues?

THANKS!

19 answers to this question

Guest Danthmann

Hi There,

Yep, I'm in Perth and am also set to Sydney time. I wouldn't think that the whole of the US has their charts set to NY time but I guess they figure we are all on the same timezone over here.

I have also checked everywhere I can think of on the new platform but can't find any way to change it either.

Hoping someone from IG actually reads these things and does something about it

Guest WillA

Hi , the time of the platform is linked to your account itself and is not changeable unfortunately.

E.g. I login to an IG Australia account here in London at 14:30 my time (BST or GMT+1) and the time on the charts is 23:30 (GMT+10). Is this what you are all seeing?

There are no plans to add timezone configuration to our web platform and one of the main reasons is that ProRealTime, the advanced charting package we offer, already has great time zone and trading hours settings. Hence we usually recommend clients looking for these features try PRT.

It does cost 40 AUD a month however this is rebated if you trade 4+ times a month, read more here: https://www.ig.com/au/prorealtime 

Give me a shout with any questions.

Will

Guest Danthmann

Thanks Will.

Having another window open when trading isn't going to work for me. I'm pretty good with the 2 hour difference now (though it was 3 hours a couple of weeks ago) so I guess we'll just have to get over it.

Unless you guys can sort your platform to realise that everyone all over the world in different places uses it and deserves the same treatment.

Your call I guess.

Cheers, Dan

Guest PandaFace

So Australia has multiple time zones right? So they can’t just all simply be under the east coast time for all IG clients in Aus? What about Perth for example, shouldn’t the system pick that up?

Guest WillA

You should be able to do all of your trading and analysis through ProRealTime, if you choose to use it.

If we didn't offer ProRealTime we would likely already have custom time zones on our web platform, however as PRT does this very well and adding this feature would be a big project it is unlikely we will add this in the near future.

Cheers,

Will

Guest WillA

All Australian accounts are in the same timezone with IG, this is simply to do with how the accounts are setup unfortunately.

Again we would recommend ProRealTime in this case.

Thanks,

Will

Guest Ballentine
On 04/04/2018 at 09:39, WillA said:

Hi , the time of the platform is linked to your account itself and is not changeable unfortunately.

E.g. I login to an IG Australia account here in London at 14:30 my time (BST or GMT+1) and the time on the charts is 23:30 (GMT+10). Is this what you are all seeing?

There are no plans to add timezone configuration to our web platform and one of the main reasons is that ProRealTime, the advanced charting package we offer, already has great time zone and trading hours settings. Hence we usually recommend clients looking for these features try PRT.

It does cost 40 AUD a month however this is rebated if you trade 4+ times a month, read more here: https://www.ig.com/au/prorealtime 

Will

So, if you're in the US and cannot use ProRealTime for trading - what do you suggest? I have a ProRealTime account, and I love it. But, I cannot trade from it here in the US. 

Guest ballentine
On 04/04/2018 at 09:39, WillA said:

Will

Please forgive me if this is in duplicate. I am new to the group and realized my first reply was submitted as a guest. I am now resubmitting with from my account so I can be notified when you reply.

Here in the US, we cannot use ProRealTime for trading. Only for analysis. So, what do you suggest as a timezone solution in such a situation?

I would love to trade from ProRealTime, as I am comfortable with their system. But, IG US doesn't connect with ProRealTime. So.....? 

Thank you for your guidance.

In peace,

Hi @ballentine, I don't know of any brokers who have adjustable time zones on their own platform, the only option is a third party platform such as PRT, it's unusual the IG version of PRT is not available in the US, I wonder @JamesIG if IG are planning to make it available for US clients in the future?

The other alternative is the web based TradingView platform but IG don't have a dealing link up with them so it would be a case of using tradingview for charting and the IG platform for trading.  

Guest ballentine

Thanks @Caseynotes  I currently use PRT that way. But it requires me to add variance to my stop & target as data is slightly different. 🤔

i hope the PRT timeline is expedited. But done well, as we expect from IG. 

Guest Chuck W.
On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:51, Caseynotes said:

Hi @ballentine, I don't know of any brokers who have adjustable time zones on their own platform, the only option is a third party platform such as PRT, it's unusual the IG version of PRT is not available in the US, I wonder @JamesIG if IG are planning to make it available for US clients in the future?

The other alternative is the web based TradingView platform but IG don't have a dealing link up with them so it would be a case of using tradingview for charting and the IG platform for trading.  

For US clients (at least) the Oanda charting platforms allow the client to configure the daily boundaries to occur at three possible times:  Midnight local time, 5PM NY (ET), or midnight NY (ET).  It would be nice if the IG charts offered this as well and this would seem to be an easy modification.  I apologize for this being a little off-topic but it is related to the general discussion in this thread.

8 hours ago, Guest Chuck W. said:

For US clients (at least) the Oanda charting platforms allow the client to configure the daily boundaries to occur at three possible times:  Midnight local time, 5PM NY (ET), or midnight NY (ET).  It would be nice if the IG charts offered this as well and this would seem to be an easy modification.  I apologize for this being a little off-topic but it is related to the general discussion in this thread.

Oanda use a version of Tradingview charts I think.

I think the time zone of IG is trader related. Like here in the Philippines IG timezone is real time. I just don't know how accurate their time zone in relation to the actual trading time based on trading session.

It is comical that IG do not allow the user to alter display timezone. We are not talking about altering trading parameters or legal jurisdiction, but simply how the hour of the day is referred to. If I have a UK account, but am currently on a business trip to Japan, I want to see critical times in local JST, not just GMT. 

Why would this be a value driver for IGs business? It is about usability, not functionality. If I can choose a light or dark theme, I should be able to choose local or market time display.

• Like 1

Its a bit ridiculous that you cant change the time zone to match where you are. Especially considering the multiple different time zones in Australia. This isnt something you should 'charge for' and should be a basic feature like other trading platforms. Wish i knew about this before I took the time to learn your platform as I will have to relearn another platform now. Very poor business from IG, as another commenter mentioned, this is very outdated.