trading stock tips

Guest trading stock tips

Guest trading stock tips

trading stock tips , As a new investor, be prepared to take some small losses.

Always cut your losses at 8% below your purchase price. (read our stop loss orders guide)

Persistence is key when learning to invest. Don’t get discouraged. Learning to invest doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time and effort to become successful at it.

When getting started, it is important that you pick the right full service or discount . If you use a broker, make sure he or she has a good track record. As a beginner, set up a cash account, not a margin account. It only takes $500 to $1,000 to get started.

Experience is a great teacher.

Avoid more volatile types of investments, such as futures, options, and foreign stocks. Concentrate on a few, high-quality stocks. There’s no need to own twenty or more stocks. Don’t get emotionally involved with your stocks.

Follow a set of buying and selling rules, and don’t let your emotions change your mind (see 50 Ways You Know You Are An Emotional Investor).

Don’t buy a stock under $15 a share. The best companies that are leaders in their fields simply do not come at $5 or $10 per share.

Learning from the best stock market winners can guide you to tomorrow’s leaders. (navigate our stock chart examples archives) Always do a post-analysis of your stock market trades so that you can learn from your successes and mistakes.

A combination of fundamental and technical investment styles is essential to picking winning stocks. Fundamental analysis looks at a company’s earnings, earnings growth, sales, profit margins, and return on equity among other things. It helps narrow down your choices so that you are only dealing with quality stocks. Technical analysis involves learning to read a stock’s price and volume chart and timing your decisions properly.

To make big money, you have got to buy the very best companies at the right time. Strong sales and earnings are amongst the most important characteristics of winning stocks. Buying a stock as it is coming out of a price consolidation area or base is crucial to making large gains. Bad Arolsen (Arolsen, Germany .

I think the target audience forthe article is given in the first line 'As a new investor ...' so not really aimed at a savvy, experienced investor like yourself @TrendFollower. In which case the advice is probably quite sound, cut losses early, keep away from the highly volatile and also keep away small caps with their very low volatility.

We often get newbies getting excited about the AIM market on the forum, especially since the LSE 'jazzed up' it's AIM page but any research on the market usually brings up the advice that AIM stocks are not really suitable for the inexperienced. Only the few actually take off big and your capital will more often than not get trapped in any of the many that don't. 

aim1.PNG.ed95d7f5427422e25be32cfd76a9e2ed.PNG

Thanks for that @TrendFollower, great post. I've never actually traded on the AIM before so was keen to get some idea of what it's actually like. My impression has been that it is a market where you need to spread yourself thin and wide to have any hope of netting the 'next big thing'. The other concern was, looking at some of the company's charts, the high frequency of gaps and poor liquidity a lot of the time. It's one thing to want to get out but another to be actually able to do so at anywhere near your pre-selected point. These are some of the warnings for the inexperienced that are often tagged on web sites concerning AIM but many seem happy to ignore them and only consider instead the promo material of it being the fastest growing market. The promo material neglects to state that it probably has the highest dropout rate of any market as well.

Guest AbDXB1345

Hi @TrendFollower and @Caseynotes (chat wont let me tag you??)

As always thanks for the insight and details.

Do you guys know of any stock scanner like FinViz etc to search through EU and UK stocks? My research only basically says no to this question.

The reason I ask is because since you guys gave me some great advice recently, my trading has improved in that I am more accurately spotting trades with a higher success rate. Still not 100% profitable but I think this is down to over trading (trying to force trades and setups).

At the moment my pre-market research involves clicking through all charts on EU 50 and FTSE 100, so probably not very efficient!

PS I have found some success in trading channels, MA cross overs/divergence and direction of Bollinger bands and placement of the share price in the Bollinger band.

So I am looking for a scanner that can potential provide me with the basic filters (trade volume, volatility ratio etc) and then I want to scan for cross overs etc.

Thanks as always!

17 hours ago, TrendFollower said:

@JamesIG, do IG offer Micro Cap funds within IG's ISA or IG Smart Portfolios?

Hey @TrendFollower - Some of the higher risk portfolios have exposure to the FTSE 250 but we don't have anything outside of that (no AIM trackers or funds).

As a side note, I have a feeling that risk adjusted returns for the AIM market as a whole are less or similar to the FTSE main indexes. Don't quote me on that though - I'll ask our portfolio managers to have a look later on.  

Archived