Sign in to follow this  

HELP compounding

Question

hi guys , i would like to know if it is possible to take the profit i am showing on shares i have bought and use it to buy more please ? if so , pleasecan you give me step by step idiot proof instructions as i am new to this ,,,, any help greatly appreciated 

Edited by philshep69
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

Known as dividend reinvestment but not currently possible on IG im afraid 

This issue keeps on appearing from different posters on IG Community so it is clearly an issue.

The problem is that the 'dividend reinvestment' is not a current priority for IG at the moment and no one including they know when it will be a priority for them. 

Hi @philshep69 - I believe you aren't actually talking about dividend reinvestment but rather you are looking to book profit on your open positions of shares to then buy more? 

Unfortunately this isn't possible. If you have 10 shares which you bought at £20 each it would have cost £200 to finalise the purchase. If the stock then goes up 10% each stock is now worth £22 and your total account is £220 (i.e. showing £20 profit). You can't  'take the profit' on this to buy more shares, because you'd have to sell some of the shares to then buy the same shares back again... 

You can of course sell some of those shares and take the profit on that trade to buy different shares in a different company, however as you can see above it doesn't really make sense to sell shares in one company to simply buy them back again. 

I hope I've interpreted your question correctly, but let me know if I haven't? I appreciate the 'compound' part of the title suggests DRP, however I'm not sure if the body of the text necessarily followed... 

8 minutes ago, JamesIG said:

... You can 'take the profit' on this to buy more shares,

Should that not be,   You can't  'take the profit' ...

• Thanks 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    CFd
    Joined 18/02/19 08:20
  • Our picks

• Asia Markets Rise as Trade Talks Move to Washington - EMEA Brief 18 Feb
      Asia share markets began the week with strong gains as investors hope for both further progress at US-China trade talks in Washington this week and more stimulus from major central banks. Trump stated in a White House news conference that he would be "honored" to remove current tariffs if an agreement can be reached, and to possibly extend the March 1st deadline for a deal.
      • 0 replies