Historical Data for testing a trading plan

Guest RustyNuts

Question

Guest RustyNuts

Is there a way to get historical data from the IG site?

I'd like to get at least 5 years of the Australia 500 Cash CFD with the closing price of each day

It trades 24 hours so I'm not sure what time the closing price would be but at least it's a way to see daily movement to test a system

Cheers

7 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, RustyNuts said:

Platform?

I'm on the IG trading platform looking at the Australia 200 Cash CFD... didn't I say that in my first post?

I can see the Open High Low and Close popping up when I move the mouse over the chart but I want to download that data like I can from most other trading sites

The format is different for the web based, PRT or MT4 platforms.

See this video;

5 minutes ago, RustyNuts said:

I'd like to get at least 5 years of the Australia 500 Cash CFD with the closing price of each day

It trades 24 hours so I'm not sure what time the closing price would be but at least it's a way to see daily movement to test a system

Cheers

Hi, historical data for which platform?

Guest RustyNuts

Platform?

I'm on the IG trading platform looking at the Australia 200 Cash CFD... didn't I say that in my first post?

I can see the Open High Low and Close popping up when I move the mouse over the chart but I want to download that data like I can from most other trading sites

6 hours ago, RustyNuts said:

Cheers

I've built an Excel Add-in which connects to IG Index. It includes the ability to download historical price data from IG Index into an Excel spreadsheet:

ig-index-download-historic-data-screen.png.747f351b7820f9cc20f288f40ef2b178.png

There are some instructions here: https://www.excelpricefeed.com/userguide/historic-data-download-ig-index

Hope this helps, and do let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Cheers!

• Like 1
Guest RustyNuts

I can't get an API key unless I sign up for a live account

Is there any other way to get the data I need?

All I want is hourly Close of the Australia 200 for the last year or two

@RustyNuts, what is it you are testing, if it's not an API bot for the online platform is it an mt4 EA, or are you just wanting a readout for manual back testing. 

In the first post you wanted daily close and in the last post you state hourly close.

If you download the mt4 demo the history center will give 4 months of hourly data or 10 years of daily data.

see pic below.

image.png.b0c20fb3794d9dd4fa7a30ce732e3c4d.png

Guest RustyNuts

Thanks so much for your help. 

Most of the software is new to me. 

I had the daily data of the ASX200 and made a trading plan (using Excel) but you can't trade directly on that index and the night trading of the Aus200 has mucked up my plan. 

That's why I decided to look at hourly data to refine my system.

Cheers