Share investment demo account

Guest Paul2209

Guest Paul2209

I notice that a lot of companies offer a demo account for spread betting and CFD but does anyone know of anyone offering a share investment demo account?

Thank you,

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul2209 said:

I notice that a lot of companies offer a demo account for spread betting and CFD but does anyone know of anyone offering a share investment demo account?

Thank you,

Paul

Hey @Paul2209, thanks for you message. 

With our non-leveraged accounts and investment portfolios it's too hard to replicate them in a demo environment.

We're looking to add some guides for Share dealing and ISA accounts when we release our new platform (early next year) but not a demo. 

With out smart portfolios we do offer a performance page if that helps: https://www.ig.com/uk/investments/smart-portfolios/performance

Guest Paul2209

That's great, thank you. I do have a question...

Would you say there are any significant differences betweem IG and CMC Markets concerning spreadbetting?

Hi everyone

Good morning. 

I was wondering whether a demo account should replicate the performance of a live account? What I mean is: Shouldn't trades made on a demo account perform in exactly the same manner as on a live account? Or are there cases when this is not the case? 

Guest Random helper

Replying to Paul,

Non-leverage Share investment Paper Account or Simulated account. I have a Paper account with "Interactive Brokers". They offer what you're looking for.

Replying to Guest Pamon,

A demo account tries to replicate the performance of a live account. However, with IG the demo account has differences with a real CFD. Probably a bug, however it's disappointing. 
One of the "bugs" is: If you order a position during "Not open market hours" and the price jumps on market open:

-On the Demo account it will open at the price you've ordered on market opening --> as low as you want above the close price of yesterday's for a long position.

-On the real account it will open at the market price on market open.

I've noticed a few other differences which I won't all type here, but whoever tells you, Real and Demo are the same is not well-informed.

Good luck,

Cheers

On 16/11/2019 at 05:50, Guest Pamon said:

Hi everyone

Good morning. 

I was wondering whether a demo account should replicate the performance of a live account? What I mean is: Shouldn't trades made on a demo account perform in exactly the same manner as on a live account? Or are there cases when this is not the case? 

Hey, 

The demo leveraged account will work in the same way however there are some issues on the demo account because we test on there to make sure the live account runs as smoothly as possible. 

Unfortunately, as mentioned before, we don't offer demo for portfolios but you can find the performance information here. Say you wanted to see the data back from 31st July 2014, you can go back and see the performance since that time: https://www.ig.com/uk/investments/smart-portfolios/performance

18 hours ago, Guest Random helper said:

One of the "bugs" is: If you order a position during "Not open market hours" and the price jumps on market open:

-On the Demo account it will open at the price you've ordered on market opening --> as low as you want above the close price of yesterday's for a long position.

-On the real account it will open at the market price on market open.

Thanks for your post. I will get this looked into so going forward this does not happen. 

:) 

• Like 1