Jump to content

Share investment demo account

Recommended Posts

I notice that a lot of companies offer a demo account for spread betting and CFD but does anyone know of anyone offering a share investment demo account?

 

Thank you,

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Paul2209 said:

I notice that a lot of companies offer a demo account for spread betting and CFD but does anyone know of anyone offering a share investment demo account?

 

Thank you,

Paul

Hey @Paul2209, thanks for you message. 

With our non-leveraged accounts and investment portfolios it's too hard to replicate them in a demo environment.

We're looking to add some guides for Share dealing and ISA accounts when we release our new platform (early next year) but not a demo. 

With out smart portfolios we do offer a performance page if that helps: https://www.ig.com/uk/investments/smart-portfolios/performance

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Paul2209 said:

Thank you for your response Charlotte, very much appeciated.

@Paul2209- no problem at all. 

If you need anything in the future let me know by @ me into a post 

:) 

Share this post


Link to post

That's great, thank you. I do have a question...

Would you say there are any significant differences betweem IG and CMC Markets concerning spreadbetting?

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dmedin said:

 

IG is a regulated bank?

I think you need to dig deep but there is bank status somewhere, Swiss IG is registered as a bank.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

I think you need to dig deep but there is bank status somewhere, Swiss IG is registered as a bank.

That's correct, the name for our company in Switzerland is IG Bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Pamon

Hi everyone

Good morning. 

I was wondering whether a demo account should replicate the performance of a live account? What I mean is: Shouldn't trades made on a demo account perform in exactly the same manner as on a live account? Or are there cases when this is not the case? 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Random helper

Replying to Paul,

Non-leverage Share investment Paper Account or Simulated account. I have a Paper account with "Interactive Brokers". They offer what you're looking for.

 

Replying to Guest Pamon,

A demo account tries to replicate the performance of a live account. However, with IG the demo account has differences with a real CFD. Probably a bug, however it's disappointing. 
One of the "bugs" is: If you order a position during "Not open market hours" and the price jumps on market open:

-On the Demo account it will open at the price you've ordered on market opening --> as low as you want above the close price of yesterday's for a long position.

-On the real account it will open at the market price on market open.


I've noticed a few other differences which I won't all type here, but whoever tells you, Real and Demo are the same is not well-informed.

Good luck,

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 16/11/2019 at 05:50, Guest Pamon said:

Hi everyone

Good morning. 

I was wondering whether a demo account should replicate the performance of a live account? What I mean is: Shouldn't trades made on a demo account perform in exactly the same manner as on a live account? Or are there cases when this is not the case? 

Hey, 

The demo leveraged account will work in the same way however there are some issues on the demo account because we test on there to make sure the live account runs as smoothly as possible. 

Unfortunately, as mentioned before, we don't offer demo for portfolios but you can find the performance information here. Say you wanted to see the data back from 31st July 2014, you can go back and see the performance since that time: https://www.ig.com/uk/investments/smart-portfolios/performance

18 hours ago, Guest Random helper said:

One of the "bugs" is: If you order a position during "Not open market hours" and the price jumps on market open:

-On the Demo account it will open at the price you've ordered on market opening --> as low as you want above the close price of yesterday's for a long position.

-On the real account it will open at the market price on market open.

Thanks for your post. I will get this looked into so going forward this does not happen. 

:) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

A demo account should work the same as live, otherwise it is misleading.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      7,876
    • Total Posts
      41,738
    • Total Members
      51,997
    Newest Member
    Peakyblind
    Joined 14/12/19 07:53
  • Posts

    • Hi all, been up and running and watching from the side lines. Thanks for putting the list up early as I made my own list from the gap scanner from ideas but you seemed to have more plus alot of the tickers I could not trade on IG but jumped on TG Therapeutics at 973 and took some money from that. Then jumped back in at 1059 and she plummeted and my heart just sank. I managed to ride it back up to 1053 and got out with a small profit of £20. Should have put my stop in but am still learning to get out quick . I was so lucky it went back up. Thought I was going to be on a bad loss because I didn't get out early enough. I find that if you only gain a small amount each day its better that going hard at it and loosing.  Still got loads to learn. Anyway cant wait till monday.  Great content and look forward to next week. Have a great weekend.
    • Is it safe to come out now?
×
×