MT4

ErikF

Question

I seem to be unable to open an MT4 account. When I click on "add an account" the only option is "CFD trading" which is basically opening a second account. Can you explain me what I am doing wrong?

Edited by ErikF

30 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, johndala said:

Me too! same problem.  Have downloaded the IGMetaTrader  MT4. But need a MT4 account, not my normal spread bet account.  Help page said, its easy, just click on add MT4 account but no option.  

Should be a 'add an account option' tab to click in your 'My IG' web page dashboard which displays the pop up below;

image.thumb.png.d74798e3133370b5bb5e5def2f6aa07b.png

3 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

ok, do you have a special account type at the moment eg a European account? Leveraged? non-leveraged?

Right, Ive got a "normal" spread betting account.  Had one for a few years and spread bet  PLC companies. That's all I use it for.  I'm from England.

5 minutes ago, johndala said:

Right, Ive got a "normal" spread betting account.  Had one for a few years and spread bet  PLC companies. That's all I use it for.  I'm from England.

ok, if you already have a leveraged account (SB) then the other leveraged options should appear as per my snap.

The only other thing I can only think there is a technical problem with your 'My IG' dashboard and would email IG explaining the lack of options and request a technician check it out.

note that mt4 doesn't have shares on the platform, mt5 does but we are still waiting for that.

• Like 1
  • Great! 1

I have solved the issue now. Apparently IG needs you to do two trades over the phone with them (!!!!) to start trading. Purpose of this being them giving you a warning about the risks of CFD trading. Once I did the two trades all was well and I was able to add MT4. I am based in Spain so I don’t know if this requirement goes for other countries as well.

• Like 1
  • Thought provoking 2
1 minute ago, Caseynotes said:

ok, if you already have a leveraged account (SB) then the other leveraged options should appear as per my snap.

The only other thing I can only think there is a technical problem with your 'My IG' dashboard and would email IG explaining the lack of options and request a technician check it out.

note that mt4 doesn't have shares on the platform, mt5 does but we are still waiting for that.

Thanks so much , I have messaged them but with everything going on I thought it would be a while before they got back to me.  And I wanted MT4 for another type of trading I'm trying out, but thanks for the info.

5 minutes ago, ErikF said:

I have solved the issue now. Apparently IG needs you to do two trades over the phone with them (!!!!) to start trading. Purpose of this being them giving you a warning about the risks of CFD trading. Once I did the two trades all was well and I was able to add MT4. I am based in Spain so I don’t know if this requirement goes for other countries as well.

WoW!  I never knew that!  Yet I'm already trading successfully.  Thank you again, I'll give them a call and moan :)Great help! 

Edited by johndala
1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

That must be it for me as I'm all fine with my account.  Once I know what went wrong my end I'll post here.

19 hours ago, johndala said:

Me too! same problem.  Have downloaded the IGMetaTrader  MT4. But need a MT4 account, not my normal spread bet account.  Help page said, its easy, just click on add MT4 account but no option.  

I am having same problem. I do have option demo but when i am trying to open real account the only option i have its MT4 and CFD.

I have emailed and they (IG) told me that IG dosnt have option account... have no idea what is going on

18 hours ago, valery said:

I am having same problem. I do have option demo but when i am trying to open real account the only option i have its MT4 and CFD.

I have emailed and they (IG) told me that IG dosnt have option account... have no idea what is going on

I think my problem is different to yours, but there does seem to be something amiss :) ?  Been waiting for 2 days now for IG to get back to me.  But, in light of what's happening I think I can  give them some slack.

On 27/03/2020 at 09:05, Caseynotes said:

Just thought Id post an update.  IG clearly never read all my messages I sent them.  All they done was send me a screen shot, same as yours....said it was easy!  Finally, after a week I get a mail just now telling me I have to manually fill in a  APPLICATION TO OPEN A METATRADER 4 ACCOUNT?  Then have to sign and email back.  Very bad service me thinks.  

2 minutes ago, johndala said:

Just thought Id post an update.  IG clearly never read all my messages I sent them.  All they done was send me a screen shot, same as yours....said it was easy!  Finally, after a week I get a mail just now telling me I have to manually fill in a  APPLICATION TO OPEN A METATRADER 4 ACCOUNT?  Then have to sign and email back.  Very bad service me thinks.  

ok, thanks for getting back.

Hi.. Yes.. very bad service I think... Sometimes I wait for week to get answer so i called (and waited for 1 hr on the phone) then this girl told me to open new account with Irish IG.. hmmmmm...ok... I did it... 

but now I waiting already more then one week to be approved. (all my documents are good of course.. but... again... service at best ))))))))))

will be calling today again... maybe will get a good answer

1 hour ago, valery said:

Hi.. Yes.. very bad service I think... Sometimes I wait for week to get answer so i called (and waited for 1 hr on the phone) then this girl told me to open new account with Irish IG.. hmmmmm...ok... I did it... 

but now I waiting already more then one week to be approved. (all my documents are good of course.. but... again... service at best ))))))))))

will be calling today again... maybe will get a good answer

after document approval the whole application then gets a final check and is ok'd by a human which never seems to happen on a weekend, you might find it gets sorted today.

55 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

after document approval the whole application then gets a final check and is ok'd by a human which never seems to happen on a weekend, you might find it gets sorted today.

I'm still waiting...been like nearly two weeks!  IG send me a MT4 form to fill in last week, which, all I had to do was sign it.  I already have an SB account and have had one for like 20 years. This should not have been a problem for me, so I'm told by IG helpdesk...But it is!  Anyway, Already opened another up with infinox, no problem...account opened and working.  Took 3 days.

2 hours ago, johndala said:

I'm still waiting...been like nearly two weeks!  IG send me a MT4 form to fill in last week, which, all I had to do was sign it.  I already have an SB account and have had one for like 20 years. This should not have been a problem for me, so I'm told by IG helpdesk...But it is!  Anyway, Already opened another up with infinox, no problem...account opened and working.  Took 3 days.

Thank you. I may check them is well.. as Looks like service much better. i just dont understand... way IG loosing costumers all the time... Very bad service... long to wait... and lies lies lies.  

8 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

I am sorry to ask you.... are you working for IG?? it just looks like you know everything... so.. if you working for them... maybe help me? ))))

thank you

1 minute ago, valery said:

I am sorry to ask you.... are you working for IG?? it just looks like you know everything... so.. if you working for them... maybe help me? ))))

thank you

I called again... and they told me that it may take up2 2weeks. ..so... yeah.... will b waiting.... shame CMC markets dosnt have Barrier options trading... 

2 minutes ago, valery said:

thank you

Hi, no I don't and never have worked for IG but I'm signed into the forum throughout the day while I trade and have done since the forum started at the beginning of 2016 and so have seen most questions come through before and if don't know the answer often know where to find it.

It's notable that because of the virus there has been a massive increase in volatility in the markets which has attracted the attention of many peeps stuck at home (because of the virus) who have all decided to open an account at the same time just when there are staff shortages, because of the virus. My bank currently has a 1 hour wait just to answer the phone, it's the same everywhere and is not usual at all. 

On 06/04/2020 at 16:02, Caseynotes said:

Hi, no I don't and never have worked for IG but I'm signed into the forum throughout the day while I trade and have done since the forum started at the beginning of 2016 and so have seen most questions come through before and if don't know the answer often know where to find it.

It's notable that because of the virus there has been a massive increase in volatility in the markets which has attracted the attention of many peeps stuck at home (because of the virus) who have all decided to open an account at the same time just when there are staff shortages, because of the virus. My bank currently has a 1 hour wait just to answer the phone, it's the same everywhere and is not usual at all. 

I'm still waiting for IG to get back to me!  Its been nearly 4 weeks and numerous messages and no reply?  IG helpdesk saying, I shouldn't have a problem...But I am :( ...IG don't seem to be listening.  And no-one getting back to me.  From this experience     All I can say is a very poor customer service... from a 20+ year client.  

5 minutes ago, johndala said:

I'm still waiting for IG to get back to me!  Its been nearly 4 weeks and numerous messages and no reply?  IG helpdesk saying, I shouldn't have a problem...But I am :( ...IG don't seem to be listening.  And no-one getting back to me.  From this experience     All I can say is a very poor customer service... from a 20+ year client.  

do you already have a leveraged type account (cfd or spread bet)?

On 17/04/2020 at 09:25, Caseynotes said:

do you already have a leveraged type account (cfd or spread bet)?

Spread bet account.  I have already sent them screen shots of the accounts I can open but all I get back is IG sending me screen shots of what I should be getting .  Have also said, there could be a problem and said what you said in one of your messages above....(helpdesk not bothered to read, if they had they had they would not have sent a screen shot back!)I have manually sign a form they sent me, why I don't know?, that was about two weeks ago now. And they have confirmed receipt of it.  But that's it! no MT4 account still?  I think it has been 4 weeks today :(  Im more than happy with trading/spread betting with IG shares,  and I make them money, I love Tradehub….But, to get correct answer from help has always been a bit of a problem, I've found.  I keep getting told to come here and post :)  Anyway, I wont go on, life's to short but I will post on here when IG sorts this out.   Thanks Caseynotes, for all the advice, much appreciated. 

21 minutes ago, johndala said:

Spread bet account.  I have already sent them screen shots of the accounts I can open but all I get back is IG sending me screen shots of what I should be getting .  Have also said, there could be a problem and said what you said in one of your messages above....(helpdesk not bothered to read, if they had they had they would not have sent a screen shot back!)I have manually sign a form they sent me, why I don't know?, that was about two weeks ago now. And they have confirmed receipt of it.  But that's it! no MT4 account still?  I think it has been 4 weeks today :(  Im more than happy with trading/spread betting with IG shares,  and I make them money, I love Tradehub….But, to get correct answer from help has always been a bit of a problem, I've found.  I keep getting told to come here and post :)  Anyway, I wont go on, life's to short but I will post on here when IG sorts this out.   Thanks Caseynotes, for all the advice, much appreciated. 

no problem and all the best, hope it gets sorted soon. As you already have an SB account the mt4 option should be on offer automatically but I noted from your earlier pic that you only had non-leveraged type accounts to select from in the 'add an account' section.

On 20/04/2020 at 07:17, Caseynotes said:

no problem and all the best, hope it gets sorted soon. As you already have an SB account the mt4 option should be on offer automatically but I noted from your earlier pic that you only had non-leveraged type accounts to select from in the 'add an account' section.

Hello again Caseynotes, just an update.  

After 5 weeks since my first message to IG, I sent another message yesterday to helpdesk.  Their reply below.

"Actually Sir first of all we would like to apologize for all the delays.

What has happened is your wealth i.e. your Earnings and Savings must be higher to have an additional account.

So if your total earnings and savings have increased then let us know.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us."

IG could have told me this 5 weeks ago or over the phone?. There is nothing on here to tell me that.  As in my previous message on here, they sent me a basic MT4 form to fill in? (2 weeks ago)  And, since  I first became a client  some 20 years ago my earnings and savings have increase 100 fold? IG declined me because of this, but never considered to ask me? And, I have more than enough money in my trading account to accommodate?

I thought I would post this here just in case other traders have the same problem.

IG trading platform is Excellent in my opinion, for spread betting shares and I will continue to trade with them  but some of their services are very poor indeed, which surprise's me.  

9 minutes ago, johndala said:

Hello again Caseynotes, just an update.  

After 5 weeks since my first message to IG, I sent another message yesterday to helpdesk.  Their reply below.

thanks for the update, certainly seems odd and disjointed but the main inconsistency is that you already have a leveraged account so another one is no real difference. Doesn't make a lot of sense really. Shame you have been through such a drama.

• Like 1