Jump to content
  • 0

Cant set up MT4 Demo


WokMan

Question

I have a Real and Demo IG account.  I use the web based platform and now looking to use the MT4.  The videos say that I can simply add an MT4 demo account by going to my dashboard and adding account.  I did the same, and it has added a MT4 to my Real Account !! I dont want it at this stage.  

I cant seem to find a way to add a MT4 Demo. I have downloaded the software but wont let me set it up.   any ideas how to fix this 

Link to comment

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
10 minutes ago, WokMan said:

I have a Real and Demo IG account.  I use the web based platform and now looking to use the MT4.  The videos say that I can simply add an MT4 demo account by going to my dashboard and adding account.  I did the same, and it has added a MT4 to my Real Account !! I dont want it at this stage.  

I cant seem to find a way to add a MT4 Demo. I have downloaded the software but wont let me set it up.   any ideas how to fix this 

Hi, you can make your own mt4 demo account once you have downloaded mt4 from IG's download page. Double click the IG4setup icon in your download folder, this will open mt4 and make a shortcut on your computer desktop. In File > Open an account, you should see the IG live and demo feeds in the pop up, click on the demo to highlight and click Next and follow the instructions including receive newsletter to set up a demo account. You can switch between live and demo by clicking on the relevant icon in the Navigator tab. 

Also download the IG app pack, when you double click it in your download folder it will automatically load onto mt4 if it's running.

You don't need to fund the live account at all.

Link to comment
  • 0
3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, you can make your own mt4 demo account once you have downloaded mt4 from IG's download page. Double click the IG4setup icon in your download folder, this will open mt4 and make a shortcut on your computer desktop. In File > Open an account, you should see the IG live and demo feeds in the pop up, click on the demo to highlight and click Next and follow the instructions including receive newsletter to set up a demo account. You can switch between live and demo by clicking on the relevant icon in the Navigator tab. 

Also download the IG app pack, when you double click it in your download folder it will automatically load onto mt4 if it's running.

You don't need to fund the live account at all.

Hi... cant see it.. it allows me to connect to IG Live but not demo.  I dont want to use the live account.  Infact is there a way i can shut down the MT4 Live account?  i tried filling out the form, but no cigar.  

I have downloaded the MT5, but looks like i might have to change broker

Link to comment
  • 0
12 hours ago, WokMan said:

Hi... cant see it.. it allows me to connect to IG Live but not demo.  I dont want to use the live account.  Infact is there a way i can shut down the MT4 Live account?  i tried filling out the form, but no cigar.  

I have downloaded the MT5, but looks like i might have to change broker

you can't have downloaded from the IG site because IG don't do mt5. sounds like you should uninstall both mt4 and 5 and clear the files from your download folder then download IG's mt4 and apps pack from the IG download page.

if you have not actually transferred funds into the mt4 account it will remain dormant, if you try to trade on it it will just say 'insufficient funds'.

https://www.ig.com/uk/trading-platforms/metatrader-4

Link to comment
  • 0
8 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

you can't have downloaded from the IG site because IG don't do mt5. sounds like you should uninstall both mt4 and 5 and clear the files from your download folder then download IG's mt4 and apps pack from the IG download page.

if you have not actually transferred funds into the mt4 account it will remain dormant, if you try to trade on it it will just say 'insufficient funds'.

https://www.ig.com/uk/trading-platforms/metatrader-4

i removed everything and started again... i get to this screen, If i choose New Demo account.. it will not go anywhere image.png.951bec255dd8a6c6fe6744a499241961.png

 

(BTW, when i first open MT4, i do get this screen)

image.png.dc5fdcf5aa3c82688f57bf97bbece2a4.png

 

Edited by WokMan
Link to comment
  • 0

I tried rescanning, but no cigar.    It is on my work laptop.  Standard chrome runs on an auto proxy (so i dont know my proxy servers).  i tried clicking on the proxy setting for mt4, but no luck.   i tried going on the live with my live mt4, again no luck.  

I had downloaded MT5 & MT4 from the metatrader website.  i could connect it to their website.   can i repoint that to an IG server?

 

Link to comment
  • 0
1 minute ago, WokMan said:

I tried rescanning, but no cigar.    It is on my work laptop.  Standard chrome runs on an auto proxy (so i dont know my proxy servers).  i tried clicking on the proxy setting for mt4, but no luck.   i tried going on the live with my live mt4, again no luck.  

I had downloaded MT5 & MT4 from the metatrader website.  i could connect it to their website.   can i repoint that to an IG server?

 

yes you should be able add a broker feed to any mt4  by clicking on the 'add a broker' and selecting from the dropdown box or typing in IG's address as it is displayed in the pic (IG is 443).

image.png.c6e6870e549c6868b16cdbb07392e482.png

 

Link to comment
  • 0
10 minutes ago, WokMan said:

I tried rescanning, but no cigar.    It is on my work laptop.  Standard chrome runs on an auto proxy (so i dont know my proxy servers).  i tried clicking on the proxy setting for mt4, but no luck.   i tried going on the live with my live mt4, again no luck.  

there shouldn't be a block on IG, perhaps it is because you are trying on a work setup that is causing the problem.

Link to comment
  • 0
4 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

there shouldn't be a block on IG, perhaps it is because you are trying on a work setup that is causing the problem.

not sure... because i can get the MT4 from metatrader dotcom to work but struggling with the IG version.   Can i use the metatrader from elsewhere to connect to the IG server?  what is the IG server address i should add to the login screen

Link to comment
  • 0
1 minute ago, WokMan said:

not sure... because i can get the MT4 from metatrader dotcom to work but struggling with the IG version.   Can i use the metatrader from elsewhere to connect to the IG server?  what is the IG server address i should add to the login screen

yes but the metaquotes mt4 is using metaquotes feed not a brokers feed, you can't use it to trade on, the problem is that your computer seems to be blocking IG's feed.

IG's address is;

mt4.ig.com:443

Link to comment
  • 0

Well the problem seems to persist... the helpdesk deleted the real account.  So have downloaded a new MT4.. now it seems to connet to the live server but no such luck with the demo server...  any idea what is this setup challenge...  

 File>>>Open an account gives me this screen.. scan brings nothing more on demo... It does ask me for Live details if i choose Live - but that would open a live account...  

image.png.65c3f06dfa1320d192e56d741488cd90.png

Link to comment
  • 0
57 minutes ago, WokMan said:

Well the problem seems to persist... the helpdesk deleted the real account.  So have downloaded a new MT4.. now it seems to connet to the live server but no such luck with the demo server...  any idea what is this setup challenge...  

 File>>>Open an account gives me this screen.. scan brings nothing more on demo... It does ask me for Live details if i choose Live - but that would open a live account...  

image.png.65c3f06dfa1320d192e56d741488cd90.png

Hi, no without the demo feed you can't do anything, seems the problem has not been fully resolved by IG tech.

Link to comment
  • 0
1 hour ago, WokMan said:

Well the problem seems to persist... the helpdesk deleted the real account.  So have downloaded a new MT4.. now it seems to connet to the live server but no such luck with the demo server...  any idea what is this setup challenge...  

 File>>>Open an account gives me this screen.. scan brings nothing more on demo... It does ask me for Live details if i choose Live - but that would open a live account...  

image.png.65c3f06dfa1320d192e56d741488cd90.png

You should have only 2 feeds live and demo

Delete mt4 installation 

open a demo account

https://www.ig.com/uk/trading-platforms/metatrader-4/mt4-demo-account

Download mt4

https://www.ig.com/uk/trading-platforms/metatrader-4/download-mt4

Link to comment
  • 0
40 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

You should have only 2 feeds live and demo

Delete mt4 installation 

open a demo account

https://www.ig.com/uk/trading-platforms/metatrader-4/mt4-demo-account

Download mt4

https://www.ig.com/uk/trading-platforms/metatrader-4/download-mt4

Tnx.. I filled the Demo opening form online, and now got an email from IG asking to download

this is probably the 7th download and reinstall...   done that

 

.. again, when the screen opens, it can connect to IG-Live but no IG-Demo,,, there must be a log file that i can check .... the journal is showing it cannot connect

image.thumb.png.3f81b41fa0e0d6516be7c4a30e7f22ee.png

Link to comment
  • 0
14 hours ago, WokMan said:

Tnx.. I filled the Demo opening form online, and now got an email from IG asking to download

this is probably the 7th download and reinstall...   done that

 

.. again, when the screen opens, it can connect to IG-Live but no IG-Demo,,, there must be a log file that i can check .... the journal is showing it cannot connect

image.thumb.png.3f81b41fa0e0d6516be7c4a30e7f22ee.png

IG is not sending the demo feed to new accounts (old accounts not affected) must be related to the info notice you received, all you can do is send a email to make sure they are aware that the problem has not been completely fixed. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • Hi    when I try to buy the tickers SDIV and KBWD the platform does not allow me. This is strange as I have a broker account in France where I can easily buy these products. the MIFID retail legislation is related to CFD and margin, hence the reason must be different, can anybody help me?   Thanks
    • BOOM UP is the ultimate Game-Fi experience on Telegram, offering gamers a chance to earn real profits while immersing themselves in thrilling gameplay, unique art, and social interactions. Say goodbye to time-consuming games and hello to a world where fun meets profitability! By blending traditional gaming with the power of blockchain, BOOM UP is revolutionizing the industry and bridging the gap between Web2 and Web3. Get ready to dive into the future of gaming and experience a whole new level of excitement and rewards! Exciting news – BOOM UP is about to launch on Bitget, taking the crypto world by storm. Don't miss out on the chance to be a part of this groundbreaking project that's set to redefine the gaming and finance landscape. Get ready to level up with BOOM UP on on this exchange and unlock endless possibilities in the world of Game-Fi and NFTs!
    • As crypto adoption explodes in the EU, Bitget is fueling the flames with Builders Meetups – engaging events designed for both crypto veterans and newbies. Imagine learning from the Bitget EU COO Apprentice and crypto bigwigs, then building your network with fellow enthusiasts (potential friends or collaborators!). Plus, expert talks will boost your crypto IQ and there might even be free swag! Bitget goes beyond exchange, fostering the community through educational resources on Bitget Academy and a user-friendly platform that welcomes newcomers to the exciting world of crypto. The "Meet Bitget: Your Gateway to Crypto Trading" event in Bucharest, Romania on July 18th is your chance to dive in – registration is free! Don't miss out and spread the word.
×
×
  • Create New...
us