Is it possible to automatically close part of a Position using a Limit order?

MikeP12

Question

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried this out and it worked OK, but doing it this way seems to work like setting a new Position. For example, the Per Point Minimum still applies (usually 0.5) so when I tried to close 50% of a Position with Size 0.8 (i.e. Sell 0.4) it wouldn't let me, I had to sell at least 0.5. Which also means I can't partially close any positions with Size 0.5 this way.

Other problems that also arise with this method:
- It appeared to use some of my Margin.
- I couldn't partially close a Postion on one stock because it said  "you cannot sell this market to open"

I would like to be able to partially close a Position automatically so I don't have to do it manually (for example if I'm away from my computer). Is there a way of doing this without getting these issues?

15 hours ago, MikeP12 said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried this out and it worked OK, but doing it this way seems to work like setting a new Position. For example, the Per Point Minimum still applies (usually 0.5) so when I tried to close 50% of a Position with Size 0.8 (i.e. Sell 0.4) it wouldn't let me, I had to sell at least 0.5. Which also means I can't partially close any positions with Size 0.5 this way.

Other problems that also arise with this method:
- It appeared to use some of my Margin.
- I couldn't partially close a Postion on one stock because it said  "you cannot sell this market to open"

I would like to be able to partially close a Position automatically so I don't have to do it manually (for example if I'm away from my computer). Is there a way of doing this without getting these issues?

You can do it in  ProRealTime but if you are away from computer obviously not

24 minutes ago, MikeP12 said:

OK, thanks, I'll use the workaround where possible.

Something for the development team? Other platforms make this easy for example IBKR, but I prefer the IG platform overall.

Hi @MikeP12

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion. We will pass this on to our development team to look into.

All the best - MongiIG