Python3 Automated Trading App

It is exactly like you describe. Would be good to spread the word about the API. 

When having  a coding problem there are not much resources. Webapisupport usually replies that they can't help with specific programming problems and so one is stuck and required to solve the problem alone.

I'm a techie and used to be fairly active on the IG Labs forum, however in the past 6 months it has become very quiet. I agree with the comments here, create a new topic on this forum for the API, at least then it will get more visibility and hopefully more activity.

I've been using the API for several years now and found it to be generally rock solid and fairly comprehensive, and maybe a new forum here will get more people to start using it.

• Like 2

Welcome @andysinclair, if you haven't already seen the thread below here is a link. Certainly the more there are interested in an API section the more likely it is to be but never the less any conversations concerning auto trading will be of an interest to quite a few whether here on the main forum or on a sub forum.

If information regarding the API was more accessible, I think more would prefer it over for example autotrading with Prorealtime which seems to be pretty popular in spite of PRT having quite a lot problems and even more limitations.

I'm a Matlab based trader looking to automate a strategy on IG spreadbetting so would be interested in any developments! (I currently use Matlab with TWS).  Is Python any better supported?

I use matlab with IG's API and run several strategies fully automated. Works great for me. 

I also have an account and run automated strategies with Interactive Brokers (since you mention TWS). If you are used to work with the IB API through the TWS you will find working with IG's web API a piece of cake.

• Like 1

Hi. Is IG Labs free? I'm planning to go into quantitative trading. Not really high-frequency auto-execution. But use more sexy quant models for determining the trend and mean reversion. Execution will still be manual as a start. So first thing's first is if I can get a feed of historical FX prices and maybe tick volume. How extensive is the data being offered by the IG API?

Thanks, TheGuru12, for sharing your code by the way. I haven't gone through it.

Edited by jomni

Hi @jomni,  yes the Lab site and API use is free. You can download historical data onto an excel file, this video may help though features the old platform should still be relevant.

This is what you can get from IG:

Resolution Days
1 Sec 4
1 Min 40
2 Min 40
3 Min 40
5 Min 360
10 Min 360
15 Min 360
30 Min 360
1 Hour 360
2 Hour 360
3 Hour 360
4 Hour 360
1 Day 15 years

Then there are limits how much you can download per week and so on. I recommend saving data you downloaded so you slip downloading the same data again and again since this will fill your weekly allowance in a blink.

On 28/11/2018 at 12:35, jomni said:

Hi. Is IG Labs free? I'm planning to go into quantitative trading. Not really high-frequency auto-execution. But use more sexy quant models for determining the trend and mean reversion. Execution will still be manual as a start. So first thing's first is if I can get a feed of historical FX prices and maybe tick volume. How extensive is the data being offered by the IG API?

Thanks, TheGuru12, for sharing your code by the way. I haven't gone through it.

No problem, I have lots of code that I have played around with on Github. Some cool stuff.

Prices are free, Data is free. There are just limits to the API. I presume it's more to stop the load on IG systems or people ripping off the data but you can download it quite easily.