March spread-bet contract

Question

I have been advised to place a trade on a stock using a March spread-bet contract.

What is a March spread-bet contract and how do I find it on a platform?

Thanks for any help

14 answers to this question

Hi @Rockette,  that would be a Forward or Futures. Find the stock and click on Forward then click on the March expiry date to bring up the March Forwards chart and Deal/Orders tickets. (sere pic below)

image.thumb.png.1eabb445f031910db6f434302ea675eb.png

• Like 1

@Rockette,

Please be careful.

What is the reasoning behind the person giving you advice? Why are they not placing the trade themselves? Do you trust them? You clearly do not know what a March Spread Bet contract is yet they are asking you to place a traded for a specific time period. Do they know something is going to happen in this period?

Maybe it is nothing but I worry about 'Third Party Insider Dealing'. 

6 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi @Rockette,  that would be a Forward or Futures. Find the stock and click on Forward then click on the March expiry date to bring up the March Forwards chart and Deal/Orders tickets. (sere pic below)

image.thumb.png.1eabb445f031910db6f434302ea675eb.png

6 hours ago, TrendFollower said:

@Rockette,

Please be careful.

What is the reasoning behind the person giving you advice? Why are they not placing the trade themselves? Do you trust them? You clearly do not know what a March Spread Bet contract is yet they are asking you to place a traded for a specific time period. Do they know something is going to happen in this period?

Maybe it is nothing but I worry about 'Third Party Insider Dealing'. 

Thanks very much for your reply and concern.

The person giving the advice is an internationally respected trader as part of an advisory service. I'm using a dummy account as I want to test the advice first before committing my money!

Yeh go for it but don’t follow advice blindly. 

(There was a certain level of humour to my reply - be careful! And test like you are doing) 

goo luck and share with community if you want to discuss tactics and have opinions 

@Rockette,

No problem. 

I am yet to come across an internationally respected trader as part of an advisory service! 

When you say internationally respected, in what way?

This person has suggested 'March Spread Bet' Contract. Now what worries me is that you may well execute a dummy trade but if you then entered a contract in a different quarter the price action may be totally different so I cannot understand this at all. It just does not make any sense to me. This may be due to the lack of information you have provided. You obviously know more about this than you have explained on this thread.

However, just think of yourself in our shoes when reading this. It makes very little sense. I am trying to fathom how the success or failure of the dummy trade for that specific trade will help you make an effective decision. 

On 05/01/2019 at 18:49, Rockette said:

Thanks very much for your help. I've got it and can proceed OK.

I had the same question as R. However when I looked at rhe site for trading the share it did not have the cash /forward option at the top as indicated above. And what exactly is meant by a March forward contract.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Talmid said:

I had the same question as R. However when I looked at rhe site for trading the share it did not have the cash /forward option at the top as indicated above. And what exactly is meant by a March forward contract.

rather than paying overnight charges you can hold until the expiry date without paying them. However

• you pay a bigger spread
  • you HAVE to close them on (or before) the expiry date. You can 'roll' the contract, however this still means you close the trade, book the profit and loss, and then re buy a new position. The system / IG does this automatically but its still a close/reopen process.
Edited by cryptotrader

Thank you cryptotrader but I still don't understand why I don't see the option for a forward contract at the top of the page as in the screen shot from Caseynotes

27 minutes ago, Talmid said:

Thank you cryptotrader but I still don't understand why I don't see the option for a forward contract at the top of the page as in the screen shot from Caseynotes

what are you trading? Not all assets have futures / forwards contracts 

i am trading ana US equity that definitely  should  have a forward contract.

3 minutes ago, Talmid said:

i am trading ana US equity that definitely  should  have a forward contract.

...which is?

Possible due to market being shut?

Thank you, I did think of that. I'll look at it again when it opens

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    philbri
    Joined 18/01/19 19:14
  • IG London Art Fair

• Our picks

• What's wrong with predictions?
      Join the IG conversation on Community. "There's lots of talk about 'the smart money' banks, institutions, pension funds and the like but not much about the others side of the coin, 'the dumb money', why is that - it's because they just aren't influential to the market. The collective size of the dumb money is dwarfed by the big money to the point of being irrelevant."
        • Great!
      • 2 replies