Jump to content
  • 1

Soybean DFB


Dillywolly

Question

Hi team

 

Please can you clarify what the Soybean DFB tracks? Is it the spot price, or a combination of futures contracts?

 

I’ve seen a few similar questions to this, where traders have been asking for clarity on what different DFB contracts are tracking. Is there a place where we can access this information, and if not, I would suggest this is created to provide clarity to your clients! :)

 

many thanks

alex

Link to comment

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
4 minutes ago, Dillywolly said:

Hi team

 

Please can you clarify what the Soybean DFB tracks? Is it the spot price, or a combination of futures contracts?

 

I’ve seen a few similar questions to this, where traders have been asking for clarity on what different DFB contracts are tracking. Is there a place where we can access this information, and if not, I would suggest this is created to provide clarity to your clients! :)

 

many thanks

alex

Hi @Dillywolly  there are separate charts for dfb spot and futures, you just flick between the two, see pic.

image.png.716312b4ba2d91999581b4c618c1c4ac.png

 

Link to comment
  • 0
Guest dillywolly
12 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi @Dillywolly  there are separate charts for dfb spot and futures, you just flick between the two, see pic.

image.png.716312b4ba2d91999581b4c618c1c4ac.png

 

Hi Casey

Thanks for your response. My question is more around what index the DFB Soybean is tracking. I would expect the futures price to converge to the spot price over time, but this doesn’t seem to be the case with the DFB contract, which makes me think it’s not tracking the spot price. 

 

Is is there anyone from IG support who might be able to answer?

 

thanks

alex

Link to comment
  • 0
1 hour ago, JamesIG said:

The spot price tracks the undated commodities model which can be seen here https://www.ig.com/uk/commodities 

Its a blend of the most liquid front month contracts. 

image.png

Hi James

 

Thanks for your response. In the case of Soybeans, there is roughly a 6 point difference between the two front-month futures contracts, with the second month contract having a c.6 point higher price than the first month contract (using data from CME). Based on what you’ve said, the DFB should trade in this range (I.e. in this case, not exceeding 6 points above the front month contract, until the front month expiry date where it should be exactly equal to the second month contract price).  However, on IG, the DFB contract is trading at around 9 points above the front month contract, contradicting this.

Have I misunderstood something here, and if so, would you be able to provide more information? 

thanks

alex

Link to comment
  • 0
6 hours ago, Dillywolly said:

Hi James

 

Thanks for your response. In the case of Soybeans, there is roughly a 6 point difference between the two front-month futures contracts, with the second month contract having a c.6 point higher price than the first month contract (using data from CME). Based on what you’ve said, the DFB should trade in this range (I.e. in this case, not exceeding 6 points above the front month contract, until the front month expiry date where it should be exactly equal to the second month contract price).  However, on IG, the DFB contract is trading at around 9 points above the front month contract, contradicting this.

Have I misunderstood something here, and if so, would you be able to provide more information? 

thanks

alex

@JamesIG didn’t realise I could tag you in this, hence reposting. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Link to comment
  • 0

Hey - when we take the most liquid front month contracts this doesn't necessarily mean this month and next. As you can see from the volumes below, in the case of Soybeans this relates to Jul and Nov. The open interest and also volume are significantly higher in these contracts than in others, and therefore we're far more likely to get a good price when dealing in size for our clients. I hope this clarifies.  

image.png

Link to comment
  • 0
1 hour ago, JamesIG said:

Hey - when we take the most liquid front month contracts this doesn't necessarily mean this month and next. As you can see from the volumes below, in the case of Soybeans this relates to Jul and Nov. The open interest and also volume are significantly higher in these contracts than in others, and therefore we're far more likely to get a good price when dealing in size for our clients. I hope this clarifies.  

image.png

Hi @JamesIG - thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. Hopefully final question - how much turnover takes place in terms of switching between different futures contracts? E.g. Is liquidity measured on a daily basis, and hence contracts can be switched daily? 

 

The reason I ask is I’m trying to determine whether it makes more sense to short a futures contract in contango, or short the DFB and gain from the payments made to offset the movement on rolling up the futures curve

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

  • Posts

    • DIMO's platform seems to be shaking things up in the car world! Being able to get useful info about your car easily sounds great for drivers. And now that their token is on Bitget exchange, more people can get in on it. Super exciting news!
    • Just for completeness, I mean lists of companies. Many thanks, Peter
    • It’s one of the most popular traded markets on our end, and we take a look at the S&P 500’s technical overview in both weekly and daily time frames, the strategies to deploy for conformist, contrarian and ‘hold’ camps.   Written by: Monte Safieddine | Market analyst, Dubai   Publication date: Tuesday 27 February 2024 06:48 Dive into the conflicting sentiments of IG clients versus COT speculators and stay ahead of the game with upcoming market events. Don't miss out on this essential guide to understanding the current state of the S&P 500 and preparing for what lies ahead!       This information has been prepared by IG, a trading name of IG Australia Pty Ltd. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain a record of our trading prices, or an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. IG accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication. Although we are not specifically constrained from dealing ahead of our recommendations we do not seek to take advantage of them before they are provided to our clients.    
×
×
  • Create New...
us